DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Comic book genre (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/579059-comic-book-genre.html)

Yeti4623 09-09-10 11:20 PM

Comic book genre

What is your overall opinion of the comic book genre? I like some comic book movies, but I have to admit, I'm more into non-comic book movies that have comic book things in them.

PopcornTreeCt 09-09-10 11:31 PM

Re: Comic book genre

I think it was a popular fad and we got some good fun movies out of it. However, I think it has been exhausted.

gmanca 09-09-10 11:36 PM

Something I've thought and saw Stan Lee talking about, the superhero genre is nothing new and it's not a fad any more so than cops and robbers or romantic dramedies. It's only if the actual movie is any good that really matters.

Mondo Kane 09-09-10 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 10362787)
However, I think it has been exhausted.

We just gettin' started!
http://www.ioncinema.com/old/images/...151_poster.jpg

fumanstan 09-09-10 11:50 PM

I think it was a popular fad and we got some good fun movies out of it. However, I think it has been exhausted.

I know this topic and belief came up in one of the other threads here a couple months ago.

People thought it was a dying fad a couple years ago when Spidey 3 and X3 kind of limped around and you had mediocre stuff like Fantastic Four or Ghost Rider, and then Dark Knight and Iron Man came. Comic book movies aren't going anywhere, especially when there's a ton of new characters and sources that have yet to be tapped. Just look at stuff like Sin City, 300, or Kick-Ass that are finding their way to the screen. And hell, the most iconic Super Hero of all time, Superman, still hasn't had a good movie made about him in decades.

Comic Book movies will be box office hits for a long long time.

Giantrobo 09-09-10 11:53 PM

You are so lovably Negative. :lol::up:

LosingMyMind 09-09-10 11:54 PM

I liked
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

PopcornTreeCt 09-10-10 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 10362815)
You are so lovably Negative. :lol::up:

Well, what do you want me to say? They aren't high art. I said we got some good fun movies out of it. I do think there will still be comic book movies for years to come, but I also think it's a fad.

I'm sorry Stan Lee, but superheroes or comic book movies is not a genre. As much as Hollywood would like you to believe.

Groucho 09-10-10 12:38 AM

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4...rls7084467.jpg

gmanca 09-10-10 12:40 AM

How are they not a genre? What do you consider to be a "genre?"

Supermallet 09-10-10 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10362843)

:up: :up:

Rewatched this the other night. Still the best comic book to film adaptation yet made.

I think the question here is about super hero movies, not comic book movies. Because I highly doubt the OP meant Ghost World or Red when making this thread.

And, to that point, I'd say "Super hero movie" is a genre, while "Comic book movie" is not. Because if they made a Strangers In Paradise movie, no one would classify it as a comic book movie, any more than people classify Jaws or The Remains of the Day as "book movies."

Eric D. 09-10-10 02:52 AM

I assume the OP is talking about superhero films even though he/she says comics. If that's the case, I'm sick to death of them and can't wait until they die off. However comics themselves are not a genre just like books aren't a genre. Therefore they will never grow stale.

cruzness 09-10-10 09:39 AM

There's a huge amount of comic book stories that movies can draw from. I'm all for it if they handle it the right way and don't spew crap like X3/Spiderman 3.

rexinnih 09-10-10 09:58 AM

I'm fine with them keeping on coming. If it's a movie I don't want to watch, I simply don't watch it and move to another I want to watch.

PopcornTreeCt 09-10-10 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by gmanca (Post 10362845)

Horror, Thriller, Drama, Action, Comedy, Sci-fi, Westerns

That's pretty much it. Though I think Western is debatable.

Solid Snake 09-10-10 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 10363371)
Horror, Thriller, Drama, Action, Comedy, Sci-fi, Westerns

That's pretty much it. Though I think Western is debatable.

Yeah but you could argue that a Sci-Fi film is just an extinction of the drama genre w/ scientific like elements in it.

Whether we like it or not....Superhero films are a genre. They're the Western of today. It's what we're getting a lot of. At some point...it'll calm down. We get some great stuff and we get some boring or just plain bad shit.

fumanstan 09-10-10 12:04 PM

Super Hero movies will last longer then the Western. :)

I'm not sure how long constitutes a "fad" given that the modern Super Hero flick has been going strong since 2000 with the release of the first X-Men movie, or maybe a couple years earlier if you want to count Blade. We're a decade in later, and a whole slate of movies are planned for the next few years.

Navinabob 09-10-10 12:35 PM

For every good comic book adaption we get some good (Road to Perdition) we also get crap (30 Days of Night). I don't see any sign of it slowing down with big Marvel projects like Captain America, Thor and Avengers looming and The Walking Dead getting produced by AMC.

resinrats 09-10-10 01:54 PM

Seems a lot of comic movies come and go without many people knowing they were comic books. Its really the ones with superheroes that will more likely know they are comic movies.

Supermallet 09-10-10 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10363435)
Super Hero movies will last longer then the Western. :)

Longer than a genre that has existed from the beginning of film through to today?

Navinabob 09-10-10 03:19 PM

First western was 1903, first comic book "super-hero" movie was 1948... 50 year lead by westerns. Although it gets sorta muggy when you consider many "western heroes" were basically taken from comic-book like serial novels.

FRwL 09-10-10 04:07 PM

The comic book trend of the 2000s has been like a dry fart in a bag for me.

fumanstan 09-10-10 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10363673)
Longer than a genre that has existed from the beginning of film through to today?

It's a genre that exists today, but there's very few Westerns made at all in the last couple decades. Every few years you get something solid like 3:10 to Yuma, but I meant as far as interest/popularity.

Trevor 09-11-10 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by gmanca (Post 10362845)

It'd be like calling films based on novels a separate genre. Comic books are written on every subject imaginable.

Now if you're talking the specific subset of comic books, superheroes, then yes, you could argue it I guess. But superheroes have never been limited to just comic books, just largely defined by them I guess.

Supermallet 09-11-10 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10363884)
It's a genre that exists today, but there's very few Westerns made at all in the last couple decades. Every few years you get something solid like 3:10 to Yuma, but I meant as far as interest/popularity.

Genres wax and wane. Sci-fi was considered unmarketable prior to Star Wars. Westerns will come back.