Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bruce Campbell Pushes For A Horror Version Of 'The Expendables'

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bruce Campbell Pushes For A Horror Version Of 'The Expendables'

Old 09-04-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 506 Posts
Re: Bruce Campbell Pushes For A Horror Version Of 'The Expendables'

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
but Campbell isn't right for a serious horror movie.
Depends on how you write his character. Just look at him as Sam Axe. Lots of times he's the same funny Campbell we all love but then there are plenty of times that he's dead serious and an angry badass (like when Jesse pissed him off for using a true story about Sam to turn some criminal in their favor).

If you re-read what Campbell said, he doesn't want the actors for their characters. He wants them for their acting skills and use them in ways we're not used to seeing. If someone takes an epic horror approach or an anthology approach (both suggested previously in this thread), that could very well work.
Old 09-04-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shame on everyone here for not adding Jeffery Combs.
Old 09-05-10, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Shame on everyone here for not adding Jeffery Combs.
Came in to recommend this as well. Combs and Campbell just seem like a perfect duo, I always wanted to see these two do a buddy cop film.
Old 09-05-10, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Heather Langenkamp
Brad Dourif (great as the voice of Chucky and the Gemini Killer in "Exorcist III")
Tobin Bell (say what you will about the "Saw" movies, but he is always a welcome presence)
Lance Henriksen (he's appeared in his share of horror films)
Old 09-05-10, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just caught the perfect vehicle to make this type of movie work: Lifeforce. Remake that movie, which is totally epic in scale, using a huge Expendables-like cast and it would completely kill. It's got zombies, aliens, vampires, and possessions so it lets many people work in their respective areas.
Old 09-05-10, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 506 Posts

Wow. Lifeforce is definitely a blast from the past. I haven't seen it in years but recall loving every minute of it. I wonder how well it might hold up.

I wish someone would remake The Guyver with the cast we're imagining here. In fact, the first movie featured some horror icons despite the movie being basically a kiddy flick. I always wanted to see it redone as a full on horror flick but with the same key cast members (Michael Berryman, Jeffrey Combs, and the sadly deceased David Gale).

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-05-10 at 02:15 AM.
Old 09-05-10, 05:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmanca
Just caught the perfect vehicle to make this type of movie work: Lifeforce. Remake that movie, which is totally epic in scale, using a huge Expendables-like cast and it would completely kill. It's got zombies, aliens, vampires, and possessions so it lets many people work in their respective areas.
If they cast Christina Hendricks

in the Mathilda May role

I'll be there on opening day!
Old 09-05-10, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Depends on how you write his character. Just look at him as Sam Axe. Lots of times he's the same funny Campbell we all love but then there are plenty of times that he's dead serious and an angry badass (like when Jesse pissed him off for using a true story about Sam to turn some criminal in their favor).
Sorry, but At the Mountains of Madness needs to be The Thing on steroids. There's no room for Campbell's schtick, even in one scene.
Old 09-06-10, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
And I'd rather if Campbell never came within a thousand miles of the production. Englund, maybe -- I could see him as one of the scientists on the expedition -- but Campbell isn't right for a serious horror movie.
I just meant that ATMOM will be the next major epic horror film. I have zero desire to see Campbell in it; I wouldn't even suggest such a thing.