DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Michael Douglas reveals throat cancer at stage 4 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/578720-michael-douglas-reveals-throat-cancer-stage-4-a.html)

Geofferson 09-02-10 09:19 AM

Re: Michael Douglas reveals throat cancer at stage 4

Hope he recovers. :(

Lara Means 09-03-10 02:45 AM

Yeah yeah... im sure we all want him to pull through this, but lets be honest here.... Its Stage 4. hes as good as dead.

Grubert 09-03-10 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lara Means (Post 10353264)
Yeah yeah... im sure we all want him to pull through this, but lets be honest here.... Its Stage 4. hes as good as dead.

Then what's the point of undergoing an aggressive and painful radiation/chemotherapy treatment as he said he's doing?

TGM 09-03-10 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Grubert (Post 10353324)
Then what's the point of undergoing an aggressive and painful radiation/chemotherapy treatment as he said he's doing?

not much, unfortunately.

iggystar 09-03-10 09:13 AM

"although his cancer was late "stage four," doctors say he has an 80 percent chance of recovery."

That doesn't seem to coincide with a state 4 diagnosis, does it?

inri222 09-03-10 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by iggystar (Post 10353448)
"although his cancer was late "stage four," doctors say he has an 80 percent chance of recovery."

That doesn't seem to coincide with a state 4 diagnosis, does it?

Having a big fat wallet and access to the best treatment can stack the odds more in your favor.

Yavin 09-03-10 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 10353511)
Having a big fat wallet and access to the best treatment can stack the odds more in your favor.

Although that didn't seem to help him when doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with him earlier on, when he started seeking medical diagnosis.

Incidentally, every time I glance at this thread title I see "Michael Douglas dies of throat cancer". Hopefully that is not a bad omen. Wouldn't want to wish that on anyone.

MrSmearkase 09-03-10 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Yavin (Post 10353578)
Incidentally, every time I glance at this thread title I see "Michael Douglas dies of throat cancer". Hopefully that is not a bad omen. Wouldn't want to wish that on anyone.

Yeah, I almost expect to see "UPDATE: DEAD" added to the title everytime I glance at it.

Anubis2005X 09-03-10 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by mcfly (Post 10351073)
I've always like Michael Douglas. I hope he can pull through.

Kirk Douglas always seemed classier in a way to me than Michael. Maybe it had to do with which movie roles he accepted, i don't know...

Lara Means 09-03-10 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Grubert (Post 10353324)

Doing all that shit actually kills you faster. Its drains your body and makes you weaker. Plus you lose a ton of weight with chemo. So, while he thinks hes helping himself... in the end... he'll die. Sad but true. Stage 4 Cancer is a fucking terrible thing to go through.

Rockmjd23 09-03-10 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 10350232)
Stage IV means metastasis

Not necessarily.

Giantrobo 09-03-10 09:39 PM

I think Will Arnett should be shitting his pants. Have you heard that guy's voice?

al_bundy 09-04-10 09:58 PM

i hope he makes it

someone i know died of cancer earlier this year. she didn't feel well, went to the hospital and was dead within the month.

stage 4 means he probably hasn't had blood work done in a while or the doctors are morons

mndtrp 09-05-10 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly (Post 10351073)
I've always like Michael Douglas. I hope he can pull through.

Ditto.

Troy Stiffler 09-05-10 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy (Post 10355622)
someone i know died of cancer earlier this year. she didn't feel well, went to the hospital and was dead within the month.

Shakes me to the bone every time I hear a story like that.

Autotelik 09-05-10 11:58 PM

Don't know where the cancer is exactly- nasopharyngeal or laryngeal, but throat cancer is NOT good (well, any cancer is not good but this is one of the worse ones to get), and stage 4 is REALLY not good. Don't know how likely he'll get surgery either (depending on whether it would help or not), but if he needs a complete laryngectomy (which removes the vocal cords too), expect to see him with a trach and talking out of a speech valve. In addition, if he requires extensive resection of the disease around the neck and throat area, it's a procedure that can be disfiguring.

I wish him the best, as I've always enjoyed his work, but I'm afraid the end is not far, at least for his acting career.

mickey65 09-06-10 06:36 AM

My best friend survived stage 4 throat cancer. He did the radiation and the chemo. He smoked thru it all - and still is.

He's been "clear" for the last 2 years now.

Ranger 11-26-10 12:10 AM

Nice! Hope they had fun!

A 'Thankful' Michael Douglas Takes Family to Disney World
Thursday November 25, 2010 01:00 PM EST
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/201...ouglas-320.jpg

What could be better medicine than sunshine, family fun and a day out with Mickey and Minnie?

Michael Douglas – who's recovering from treatment for throat cancer – looked joyful as he posed with wife Catherine Zeta-Jones and kids Carys, 7½, and Dylan, 10, on a family trip to Epcot Center in Florida Wednesday.

Douglas and Zeta-Jones "are very happy and thankful the way things are going this Thanksgiving," says Douglas's rep, Allen Burry.

Douglas, 66, completed eight weeks of radiation and chemotherapy in October. In recent weeks, the Oscar winner has been recuperating with his family at home in New York City, walking his kids to school and working to gain back the strength he lost due to the treatments.

Douglas's father, actor Kirk, recently told Entertainment Tonight that Michael is feeling "very good" and "much stronger now."

As Zeta-Jones, 41, told PEOPLE in August, "if there's anything Michael has, it's strength."
http://www.people.com/people/article...445425,00.html

mickey65 11-26-10 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger (Post 10512072)
Nice! Hope they had fun!

Wow, he looks a lot like his father (even more so now) in that photo.

RocShemp 11-26-10 03:51 PM

I'm glad he's getting to spend time with his family. I really hope he pulls through for all their sakes.

Ropes Pierre 11-27-10 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 10350220)
there was a story in this weeks Globe magazine saying he might have a year to live (granted this is the globe)

I read that too. It was between the article saying Batboy is polling better than Obama, and the one about the yam that looked like Hitler.

TGM 11-27-10 03:52 AM

Stage 4 is grim. A year could be just about right unfortunately.

DJariya 11-27-10 03:57 AM

With whatever time he has left, I hope he spends as much of it as possible with Catherine and his kids.

It looks like he has 1 more movie left (Haywire) coming out in April.

TGM 11-27-10 07:27 AM

I hope his last movie is a good one. Poor Raul Julia. :(

mickey65 11-27-10 10:28 AM

I guess we won't be getting to see him play Liberace - IF he isn't cured of the cancer.