Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mismarketed Movies

Old 06-29-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Mismarketed Movies

I guess if you only knew about it from trailers it may be different, but I remember a lot of talk at the time that The Truman Show was not going to be a comedy. Even Jim Carrey himself alluded to it at some awards thing (MTV Movie Awards?).
Old 06-29-14, 08:07 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The trailers actually completely ruined the film. They reveal the whole conceit that he's in a show and doesn't know it. If one were to watch The Truman Show cold with no foreknowledge the first 30 minutes would be completely odd with everyone behaving really weird and Truman unable to leave the town for some reason. Could it be aliens, is he on another planet, another dimension, what the fuck? The movie saves the reveal for around 30 minutes in. Also the film is a comedy, a very funny one. And also a disturbing satire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3gI9ms8Fdc
Old 06-29-14, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
"Suckered" as in "saw a really good movie"? Yeah I was "suckered" too.
No shit. Suckered into Carey's best role/film of his career. How awful that must have been.
Old 06-29-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

Edge of Tomorrow was made to look like a stupid action movie, which it wasn't. I was set against seeing it until reviews said it was good.

I might have mentioned it earlier in this thread (four years is a long time to remember) but Master and Commander was a greatly mis-marketed as a Gladiator on the ocean type movie when it was anything but.
Old 06-29-14, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The trailers actually completely ruined the film. They reveal the whole conceit that he's in a show and doesn't know it. If one were to watch The Truman Show cold with no foreknowledge the first 30 minutes would be completely odd with everyone behaving really weird and Truman unable to leave the town for some reason. Could it be aliens, is he on another planet, another dimension, what the fuck? The movie saves the reveal for around 30 minutes in. Also the film is a comedy, a very funny one. And also a disturbing satire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3gI9ms8Fdc
I actually saw it in a class in high school, and from what I remember, while I agree that the film is a comedy, and there is some of Carrey's slapstick improv type stuff, I remember the satirical stuff actually being less haha funny than sort of wry in a much darker way. Reality TV was really starting to take off at the time, and I found the film kind of creepy.
Old 06-29-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Break Up just came on the channel I was watching which fits the bill for this topic. The trailer made it out to be a straight comedy, but that's pretty far from what the actual film was (an honest, awkward, sometimes brutal and heartfelt look at a real breakup).

I mean listen to the music in the trailer backing the comedy voice over guy:
Old 06-29-14, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 271 Posts

Breaking Bad had a different tone than expected.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-6v-ApehVbc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-29-14, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

The trailers actually completely ruined the film. They reveal the whole conceit that he's in a show and doesn't know it. If one were to watch The Truman Show cold with no foreknowledge the first 30 minutes would be completely odd with everyone behaving really weird and Truman unable to leave the town for some reason.
Except that the movie starts out with the 'actors' being interviewed and they candidly share their thoughts about being on The Truman Show.
Old 06-30-14, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the film that was sold out was Star Wars Episode 2. I think they came out the same weekend. About a Boy is easily Hugh Grant's finest hour.
I have to agree, definitely gave the impression of "another bloody Hugh Grant vehicle", but it absolutely has to be his best performance. And I also think Nicholas Hoult was brilliant in it.
Old 06-30-14, 09:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The Break Up just came on the channel I was watching which fits the bill for this topic. The trailer made it out to be a straight comedy, but that's pretty far from what the actual film was (an honest, awkward, sometimes brutal and heartfelt look at a real breakup).

I mean listen to the music in the trailer backing the comedy voice over guy:
Yeah, I went into this film expecting a pretty terrible rom-com, but was genuinely surprised that it was very different from what the trailer suggests. Not to mention
Spoiler:
the ending. I absolutely did not expect them to stay apart, as I figured they'd eventually bring it all back around in some sappy way. For this reason, I actually think it's a pretty good flick. Not a great one, by any means, but much better than anyone would have expected.

edit: I posted a much shorter comment about the exact same movie on page 1 of this thread... four years ago. Just noticed it now.

Last edited by Dan; 06-30-14 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-30-14, 09:55 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jesus. That's a crap trailer.
Old 06-30-14, 10:25 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

If people are going to complain about the marketing for The Truman Show ruining the movie, then we have to mention From Dusk till Dawn. That movie would've been great as just being marketed as a hostage movie.
Old 06-30-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Which Matt Damon flick was it where the trailer made it look like a Bourne flick but wasn't even close to being an action flick? Adjustment Bureau?
Old 06-30-14, 11:55 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Which Matt Damon flick was it where the trailer made it look like a Bourne flick but wasn't even close to being an action flick? Adjustment Bureau?
I think you're thinking of Green Zone, directed by Paul Greengrass.
Old 06-30-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought of another one: "Parenthood" with Steve Martin. Pitched as a goofy, laff-a-minute, kid friendly goof-fest. In actuality a melodramatic but affecting drama that from the first frame is about deep-seated Dad issues, family disfunction, loving people who have deep flaws and reconciliation with the unforgivable. Moments of comedy for sure, but that was certainly not the focus of the movie.