Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mismarketed Movies

Old 09-02-10, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Mismarketed Movies

Originally Posted by iggystar
My favorite example is Angel Eyes. The marketing made you think there some kind of supernatural aspect to the characters and story and that wasn't that at. It's about two emotionally scarred people and how they attempt get their lives back together in an odd kind of romantic way. Surprisingly, JLo did some truly amazing acting in it too.
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
That reminds me of Red Eye the marketing for it made it look like a monster movie set in an airplane. In reality there was no supernatural elements, it was just your run-of-the-mill thriller...
I remember those two films. Both were very good but not remotely close to what the trailer promised.

In that regard, the trailer to The Prestige made it seem supernatural as well. I went into the theater expecting it to be about Christian Bale wielding some sort of demonic powers. What I saw instead was far more interesting.
Old 09-02-10, 10:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

really? I thought it was going to be about guys actually using you know...the magic we'd all like to believe in. Not demonic or anything..just you know...magic "magic"...
Old 09-02-10, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
In that regard, the trailer to The Prestige made it seem supernatural as well. I went into the theater expecting it to be about Christian Bale wielding some sort of demonic powers. What I saw instead was far more interesting.
I remember the part in the trailer where Rebecca Hall cries "I know what you are!" and I also thought there was something supernatural going on...

Some of these are a stretch, because I thought Inglorious Basterds was a Dirty Dozen-esque action flick -- just one directed by Tarantino.
Old 09-02-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I remember the part in the trailer where Rebecca Hall cries "I know what you are!" and I also thought there was something supernatural going on...
That and a sinister looking shot of Bale
Spoiler:
(in the movie he's waving at ANgier after he makes him fall and break his leg)
that follows that line made it look like he was steeped in some sort of black magic and/or demonic shenanigans.
Old 09-03-10, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I seem to remember Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds was advertised as a Dirty Dozen-esque action flick.
Great example. I loved the movie but warned others interested in seeing it that it was probably not what they expected.
Old 09-03-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Turned out to be About a Boy which is one of my favorite films. Absolutely brilliant.
Have you read the novel? When I saw the movie, I thought it was brilliant until the big talent show, which seemed too Hollywood. So I picked up the book, and sure enough, the film was absolutely faithful to the source until the last half hour. In the book, the end is all about Ellie, the older girl who befriends Marcus, and is a million times better.
Old 06-24-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Dazed and Confused": one of the finest films ever made about high school, chock full of great performances, endlessly quotable, endlessly rewatchable. Introduces many new stars. Has a lot of genuinely wise things to say about growing up and nostalgia. Captures the mid seventies aesthetic perfectly. Artful, carefully constructed cross-cutting structure that few films even attempt. One of the best soundtracks of all time.

Marketed as a yet another shitty mid-ninties stoner comedy that you should "see with a bud". Saddled with perhaps the most tone deaf, uncool poster of all time that shows characters acting "exxxtreme", Milla Jovovich as a token "hot girl" and a terrible "stoned happy face" logo. Movie fails in box office because everyone assumes it sucks, becomes a cultural phenomenon once all of the terrible marketing wears off.

Fuck you, Hollywood.

Last edited by Hiro11; 06-25-14 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-24-14, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't think its been mentioned yet (surprisingly) but John Carter of Mars was marketed very badly. The film is actually enjoyable. Shame that the movie bombed.

I guess Blade Runner when it originally came out was marketed for the Star Wars crowd when it was nothing really like it other than being Sci-Fi.
Old 06-24-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Cable Guy
Shutter Island
Eyes Wide Shut
Old 06-24-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember Hart's War being marketed as an action war movie.
Old 06-24-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

This movie was nothing like this:

Later, when it was re-released in the 1960s to capitalize on the Baby Boomer Bogart cult, this poster was more like it:

Old 06-25-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,012 Likes on 767 Posts

Old 06-25-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Cable Guy
Shutter Island
Eyes Wide Shut
I'd argue that all of them were marketed properly. The Cable Guy and Eyes Wide Shut just had very limited appeal to the masses.
Old 06-25-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 06-27-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by inri222
Eyes Wide Shut
I would so not want to be in the marketing department for a Kubrick film. It must be a nightmare.
Old 06-27-14, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,069 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I remember those two films. Both were very good but not remotely close to what the trailer promised.

I still want a Nolan made Edison vs Tesla movie.

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I would so not want to be in the marketing department for a Kubrick film. It must be a nightmare.
You just do it basic and simple like:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3b726feAhdU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-28-14, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by james2025a
I don't think its been mentioned yet (surprisingly) but John Carter of Mars was marketed very badly. The film is actually enjoyable. Shame that the movie bombed.
Blame the film's writer and director, Andrew Stanton, for that one. Disney allowed him to have final say over all of the film's marketing.

They should've also kept the film titled as John Carter of Mars.
Old 06-28-14, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Surprised nobody has said Million Dollar Baby. Was marketed as "the female Rocky movie
Old 06-29-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Blame the film's writer and director, Andrew Stanton, for that one. Disney allowed him to have final say over all of the film's marketing.

They should've also kept the film titled as John Carter of Mars.
They should have kept the book's title: A Princess of Mars. I don't know if Burroughs or his editor came up with the title, but it is perfect.

Story-wise: 1) they should have cut the extraneous, unnecessary and made of whole cloth, let's-make-John-Carter-more-identifiable characterization/background. I swear, movie/TV writers have absolutely zero grasp of what makes a literary character identifiable/appealing; 2) nixed padding the story with villain elements lifted from another in the series.

And making him leap about like Superman didn't help, either.

But otherwise...
Old 06-29-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

I remember there being complaints about Drive, because people were expecting a Fast & Furious movie based on the ads. I know that's why I avoided it for a while.
Old 06-29-14, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
They should have kept the book's title: A Princess of Mars. I don't know if Burroughs or his editor came up with the title, but it is perfect.
It is a great title, but I can also appreciate Disney's reasoning for wanting to establish to movie-goers that they were trying to introduce to us the lead protagonist in a franchise. Dejah Thoris is not that lead protagonist. And, of course, because they're Disney, there's that inherited connotation with the word "princess" anyway that makes sense to avoid.

Story-wise: 1) they should have cut the extraneous, unnecessary and made of whole cloth, let's-make-John-Carter-more-identifiable characterization/background. I swear, movie/TV writers have absolutely zero grasp of what makes a literary character identifiable/appealing;
I have no idea what you're talking about or what makes you feel so strongly against it, but I saw on screen the same John Carter I'd read in Burroughs's pages.

2) nixed padding the story with villain elements lifted from another in the series.
I side with Stanton on this point. It was meant to be an origin film. Introducing the complexities of Barsoom here didn't make this film too murky to follow, and it did the heavy lifting to allow sequels to explore social constructs that might otherwise have felt improvised to newcomers unfamiliar with the source material. There was no harm to bringing in the White Therns.

And making him leap about like Superman didn't help, either.
Uh...You do know that it was Superman who originally leaped about like John Carter, right?

But otherwise...
Old 06-29-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
You just do it basic and simple like:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3b726feAhdU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Yeah, that's true, that Clockwork Orange poster is fairly iconic too.
Old 06-29-14, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Really? With the exception of Barry Lyndon all of Kubrick's films seem pre-sold to audiences from the jump.
Old 06-29-14, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Of course Truman Show was a big box office hit while Bicentennial Man was a big box office failure. I really enjoyed both.
i was one of those suckered by truman show and after that i stopped going to jim carey movies. by the look of carey's track record after that movie looks like a lot of his fan base thought to do the same.
Old 06-29-14, 07:56 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

"Suckered" as in "saw a really good movie"? Yeah I was "suckered" too.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.