Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mismarketed Movies

Old 09-01-10, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Mismarketed Movies

I came into this thread to say Adventureland. My envisioning of the execs first screening:

Suit 1: "So, here we've got a poignant, nostalgic, from the heart coming-of-age drama about a sensitive, engaging boy and a conflicted girl who fall slowly in love in the midst of a ramshackle amusement park to the sound of a bunch of classic mid-eighties SST records tracks."

Suit 2: "That will never sell. Let's force to director to insert a character who punches people in the balls a lot and market it as a teenage boob-a-rama!"

Oh well.
Old 09-01-10, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
It almost felt like a stage play.
It is. (pardon if I'm missing your sarcasm)
Old 09-01-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 392 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
Thank you for sharing this. It made me
Haha. That trailer is must see. The genious part is when they cut in Jack kissing the bathtub lady, like it was part of a romance. Only someone who knows the movie would see that.
Old 09-01-10, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I will say Dead Presidents. I bought the DVD many years ago because the cover, pictures on the back, and description make you think the entire movie is about a robbery. Instead, that robbery is maybe the last 20 minutes of the film. Nowhere does it mention the movie being about black people trying to fit back into society after the Vitenam War.
I caught this on digital cable a long time ago and was sure that the listing was wrong and I was watching another movie. I was expecting a heist movie and what I got was something better in my opinion.
Old 09-02-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I passed on this movie when it came out because the tv spots made it look like some zany madcap buddy action comedy. They were wrong. It was 1000 times better.
Old 09-02-10, 01:35 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,253 Likes on 890 Posts

^
Perry: Look up "idiot" in the dictionary. You know what you'll find?
Harry: A picture of me?
Perry: No! The definition of the word idiot, which you fucking are!
Old 09-02-10, 02:03 PM

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,254 Posts

I don't know if it had anything to do with the marketing, but somehow I'd convinced my sister to go to some guy movie and when we arrived, it was sold out. "Great," she said. "Now we can go to the new Hugh Grant movie."

Ugh.

Turned out to be About a Boy which is one of my favorite films. Absolutely brilliant.

Again, I don't know if it was the marketing or the Hugh Grant = Chick Flick mentality I had, but this amazing story definitely wasn't marketed to me.
Old 09-02-10, 03:54 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I don't know if it had anything to do with the marketing, but somehow I'd convinced my sister to go to some guy movie and when we arrived, it was sold out. "Great," she said. "Now we can go to the new Hugh Grant movie."

Ugh.

Turned out to be About a Boy which is one of my favorite films. Absolutely brilliant.

Again, I don't know if it was the marketing or the Hugh Grant = Chick Flick mentality I had, but this amazing story definitely wasn't marketed to me.
I believe the film that was sold out was Star Wars Episode 2. I think they came out the same weekend. About a Boy is easily Hugh Grant's finest hour.
Old 09-02-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,386 Likes on 2,170 Posts

I seem to remember Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds was advertised as a Dirty Dozen-esque action flick.
Old 09-02-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I caught this on digital cable a long time ago and was sure that the listing was wrong and I was watching another movie. I was expecting a heist movie and what I got was something better in my opinion.
this.

It was marketed as an urban heist film, but it's actually a really engaging drama. It's the Hughes Brothers best film, shame there is no 16x9 transfer, i'd love this on blu.
Old 09-02-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm also going with The Truman Show.

The trailers I saw at the time made it look like a comedy, not to mention it had Jim Carey in it. He was pretty much known for only comedies at the time. My friend and I were teens when we went to see it and we hated it but that's because we went in expecting a comedy. It's actually one of my favorites now.
Old 09-02-10, 04:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

My problem with The Truman Show is that it gives away the secret right at the beginning of the trailer (in fact, the entire marketing campaign was "tell all"). In the actual film, the secret is slowly revealed to the audience and the big reveal doesn't occur until the movie is well underway.
Old 09-02-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
My problem with The Truman Show is that it gives away the secret right at the beginning of the trailer (in fact, the entire marketing campaign was "tell all"). In the actual film, the secret is slowly revealed to the audience and the big reveal doesn't occur until the movie is well underway.
Wha? That's not how I remember it. Didn't the movie start with members of the cast being interviewed and such?
Old 09-02-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Almost 30 years after it was released in theaters, DVD reviewers on Amazon complain that Halloween III doesn't feature the Michael Myers character.
Old 09-02-10, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I totally agree with Bug. It was a great movie once you got over the fact that it was this tense psych piece set in one room (like the stage play) I caught it on cable and the ending disturbed me as much as any horror movie though.

Good call on About a Boy. I hate Rom Coms in general but as I watched I saw it as a "chick flick" for guys. I made my brother watch and he agreed.

My favorite example is Angel Eyes. The marketing made you think there some kind of supernatural aspect to the characters and story and that wasn't that at. It's about two emotionally scarred people and how they attempt get their lives back together in an odd kind of romantic way. Surprisingly, JLo did some truly amazing acting in it too.
Old 09-02-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,386 Likes on 2,170 Posts

Originally Posted by iggystar
My favorite example is Angel Eyes. The marketing made you think there some kind of supernatural aspect to the characters and story and that wasn't that at. It's about two emotionally scarred people and how they attempt get their lives back together in an odd kind of romantic way. Surprisingly, JLo did some truly amazing acting in it too.
That reminds me of Red Eye the marketing for it made it look like a monster movie set in an airplane. In reality there was no supernatural elements, it was just your run-of-the-mill thriller...
Old 09-02-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I seem to remember Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds was advertised as a Dirty Dozen-esque action flick.
yep. Also they don't tell ya that prob 65% of that movie is subtitled. I wonder how many people in middle america requested refunds 15 minutes in complaining that they didn't want to read and watch a movie.
Old 09-02-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I get the feeling a lot of people went into Pan's Labyrinth expecting something else, though that doesn't mean it was mismarketed.
Old 09-02-10, 06:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Well, the reveal isn't what Truman doesn't know because we are told as much from the very beginning of the film; rather, the reveal is finding out how Truman reacts once he knows what we know. That's what makes the movie work because you are watching what "everyone else" is watching as it happens.
Old 09-02-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
That reminds me of Red Eye the marketing for it made it look like a monster movie set in an airplane. In reality there was no supernatural elements, it was just your run-of-the-mill thriller...
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. The trailer was totally misleading! I found out before that it wasn't a horror flick though and liked it for what it was.
Old 09-02-10, 06:31 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

"Everybody is Fine" was marketed as a family comedy and in reality is quite a depressing film.
By the end of the movie i don't think there was a single dry eye in the theater

They lied to me Nobody was fine in that movie!!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T3tMPp8fRxk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T3tMPp8fRxk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-02-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was it Marley And Me the Jen Anisten movie with the cute dog destroying everything where it turns out to be a depressing tear jerker?
Old 09-02-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Zombi 2 was marketed as a sequel to Dawn of the Dead, even though it wasn't. I would consider that good marketing though
This also applies to the dozens of other Italian exploitation movies marketed as sequels to American movies.
Old 09-02-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Was it Marley And Me the Jen Anisten movie with the cute dog destroying everything where it turns out to be a depressing tear jerker?
Yup, great example.

Here's the teaser;
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q28_LY0KwQY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q28_LY0KwQY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-02-10, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good Girl was marketed as a comedy starring Jennifer Aniston. I guess there were dry comedic moments in there but it was far from that.

Same with Savages. I thought it would be funny but it was really just a drama.

There's a glut of movies that came after Napoleon Dynamite that was marketed as quirky indie comedies in the same style of humor that missed the mark entirely. One that comes to mind is Goliath, one of the worst movies I've seen in the past 10 years.

I avoided Super Troopers for the longest time because the trailers made it look like another dumb slap stick comedy movie about cops but it was actually much better than that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.