Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mismarketed Movies

Old 08-31-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,168 Posts
Re: Mismarketed Movies

I think the "laugh a minute" trick in the trailer is pretty common these days.

My Pick:

The Family Stone...The trailers made it look like a fun RomCom. But that movie gets really heavy about midway in and from there on it was really a downer film. Not bad, just not the comedy the trailers made it out to be.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-31-10 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....you saw that? I'm sooooo sorry for your loss....
Old 08-31-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Old 08-31-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I think the "laugh a minute" trick in the trailer is pretty common these days.

My Pick:

The Family Stone...The trailers made it look like a fun RomCom. But that movie gets really heavy about midway in and from there on it was really a downer film. Not bad, just not the comedy the trailers made it out to be.
That's the one I was trying to think of earlier! I actually really liked this one, but man...that dinner scene, where SJP keeps sticking her foot in her mouth and Diane Keaton keeps getting more and more defensive and then Craig T. Nelson slams his fist on the table...I was completely caught up in that. That's still one of the most tense and visceral scenes I can think of in any movie, and maybe it felt that way because I had been lured in expecting a generic ensemble Christmas movie.
Old 08-31-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mother and grandmother will never forgive me for suggesting this movie after seeing the trailer:

Old 08-31-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by joefrog91

IIRC, Ben Stiller's Reality Bites was marketed as a laugh a minute comedy.
It was one, though unintentionally so.
Old 08-31-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Road as an action film.
Old 08-31-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to vote for Gran Torino... it was marketed as a good movie.
Old 08-31-10, 07:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Princess Bride is famously known as a film they had no idea how to market.

If you count the decision as to what date a film is released as part of marketing, the decision to release The Punisher on the same weekend as Kill Bill Vol. 2 ranks way up there IMHO.
Old 08-31-10, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
The Road as an action film.
what? I've never seen it marketed as an action film. A thriller type of film sure..but action?
Old 08-31-10, 08:14 PM

Running with Scissors was made to look like a very funny comedy with a bunch of weirdos like the Royal Tenenbaums. I guess people that read the book knew to expect a disturbing and sad movie that was mixed with some humor. I was really taken aback.

The trailer I saw for In Bruges looked like a couple of guys in a small town bored out of their minds making their own excitement and getting in all kinds of adventures. I was not expecting the serious drama and violence but it did deliver on a lot of humor.
Old 09-01-10, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by celmendo
The trailer I saw for In Bruges looked like a couple of guys in a small town bored out of their minds making their own excitement and getting in all kinds of adventures. I was not expecting the serious drama and violence but it did deliver on a lot of humor.
I wasn't really all that interested in seeing this flick when I saw the trailers but after catching it on TV I found it very enjoyable.
Old 09-01-10, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was advertised as being a light and funny comedy, basically saying through its trailers, "hey, it's Robin Williams as a robot - what could be funnier than THAT?!?" The film's only two actual comedic scenes in the whole film were in the trailers.

The trailers didn't show that it was actually a two and a half hour sci-fi drama about mortality and what it means to be a living person.
Old 09-01-10, 01:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing with The Truman Show; was marketed as another zany Jim Carrey vehicle when it was actually a drama.
Old 09-01-10, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Of course Truman Show was a big box office hit while Bicentennial Man was a big box office failure. I really enjoyed both.
Old 09-01-10, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe it was implied action then for the Road? I dunno... I recall all the commercials having ever scene in the movie that had them running, pointing a gun or hiding behind something while they're being stalked.
Old 09-01-10, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Funny People comes to mind. It was clearly a drama set in the world of stand-up comedy, but the marketing department played up Sandler and Apatow; hell, the title was ambiguously misleading!

Also, I think a lot of people were lured into seeing The Break-Up expecting the whole thing to lead to...a more conventional ending.

Not that it matters, but I enjoyed both of these movies; but I heard from quite a lot of people they felt cheated by both.
Good call. I really liked Funny People but I know several people who hated it strictly because it wasn't a rehash of 40 Year Old Virgin or Knocked Up. A friend would say, "It's just not funny like Knocked Up." I could only nod my head and say, "You are correct. Someone's deep rooted pain and regret is not supposed to be funny."
Old 09-01-10, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I saw that movie opening night, and the crowd (fed up with over-saturation of the actor in question) burst into applause -- quite the opposite of the emotional impact the filmmakers were looking for, I'm sure.
What sort of people hate Macaulay Culkin so much that they run out to see his movies on opening night?
Old 09-01-10, 07:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Brokeback Mountain , I thought i was in store for a good old fashion western. Then one rainy night....
Old 09-01-10, 07:50 AM

One other really recent example is the trailer for The Kids Are All Right. The trailer made it look like a wacky family comedy like Little Miss Sunshine or something. Luckily, by the time I saw this trailer in theaters I knew the film had plenty of drama as I had already read several reviews and saw the glowing reviews on At the Movies.
Old 09-01-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
My Girl. I worked at a movie theater when that came out. I had to deal with the wrath of angry parents when:

I told one parent it wasn't my fault they didn't do their homework. Of course, it was never mentioned anywhere about that ending.
See, I remember there was alot of talk about a controversial subject that happens in the movie when it was first being reviewed in 1991, so it seems that everyone was aware of what happened if they did their homework.
Old 09-01-10, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Also, the Exorcism of Emily Rose.

The thing was advertised using exclusively footage from the exorcism and demon possesion scenes. Ends up it's a courtroom drama with some scenes of the exorcism spliced in.
This. I was so pissed at this movie. IIRC, Fracture was also marketed as Anthony Hopkins in a Hannibal Lecter like role, however, it was another courtroom drama. That bgeing said, he had a sweet Porsche in the movie

I hate courtroom drama.
Old 09-01-10, 08:50 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Harry Potter was advertised as light family fare. In fact, it is a tool to convert children into Satanism.
Old 09-01-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dining Dead
I watched Adventureland again the other day and it again reminded me just how terribly marketed this film truly was. The trailer makes it look like a laugh-a-minute film with the same humor as Superbad and no opportunity was missed to scream that it was from the same director as Superbad.
I agree that the move was poorly marketed but just because the advertising was misleading doesn't mean the movie was good. I saw Adventureland after a few friends told me it was more of a drama than comedy.... but I still didn't like it. I didn't think is was boring exactly, just that I didn't like Kristen Stewart's character at all.
Old 09-01-10, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by inri222

Great movie, but it is not horror. More of a psychological drama/thriller.
This 100%. It's a tightly-woven psychological study on how two people with no direction can find each other, feed into one another's problems, and destroy themselves in the process. A really good movie, but anyone going in with thinking it's a traditional horror flick will be disappointed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.