Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Producers of "The Pacific" to make 3D WWII film

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-30-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Producers of The Pacific working on 3D World War II film

By Sean O'Neal August 30, 2010

If you thought Emmy-winner The Pacific already adequately covered the Pacific theater of World War II, stop to ask yourself this: Was it in 3D? No, it was not in 3D, hence Warner Bros.’ upcoming The Battle Of Midway, based on a pitch from The Pacific writer and co-executive producer Bruce C. McKenna, who will craft another $200 million-plus project about that pivotal three-day naval campaign of 1942. It’s not the first time Midway has been turned into a film—John Ford beat everyone to the punch by turning out the Oscar-winning documentary The Battle Of Midway that very year, while 1976’s Midway united Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda, Hal Holbrook, and James Coburn—and the film will follow Universal’s similarly expensive battlin’ boats film Battleship. However, according to Deadline, producers of Midway plan to make this film a closer cousin to Saving Private Ryan or Pearl Harbor—though we find it hard to believe anyone actually mentioned an ambition to emulate Pearl Harbor—and given McKenna’s work on The Pacific, it’s bound to be the most serious 3-D film we’ve seen yet. (At least, until James Cameron re-releases his also-about-big-boats epic Titanic.)
http://www.avclub.com/articles/produ...d-war-i,44669/

I know it's beating a dead horse at this point, but God, I am sick of 3D. Surprisingly, almost everyone I know is.
Old 08-30-10, 01:11 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Producers of "The Pacific" to make 3D WWII film

There's never really been a good film made on that important Battle. I'm interested.
Old 08-30-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gdrlv

I know it's beating a dead horse at this point, but God, I am sick of 3D. Surprisingly, almost everyone I know is.
Not Steve!

I'm waiting for a 3-D WWIII film, personally.
Old 08-30-10, 03:21 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eva Kaine
There's never really been a good film made on that important Battle. I'm interested.
really Midway is not good??? No amount of shakey-cam cgi 3d dogfighting can replace Toshiro Mifune as Yamamoto.
Old 08-30-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I don't care if it's in 3D. As long as it's a good movie, I'll enjoy it. If the 3D is good, that's an added bonus.

What I am sick of is people whining about 3D. Yes, it's a gimmick. So are sound and colour in movies. In fact, moving pictures are nothing but a gimmick. All that matters is how well those gimmicks are used.
Old 08-30-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw that one in "sensesurround" in the theater. It was pretty good.
Old 08-30-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
Saw that one in "sensesurround" in the theater. It was pretty good.
Yep, I saw 3 out of the 4 Sensurround movies in the theater. (I didn't go see Battlestar Galactica)

I did get to see a demo of it, before it came out at Universal Studios (Preview for Earthquake) and I remember they had a much nicer setup for demoing than any of the theaters I saw Sensurround in for Earthquake, Midway or Rollercoaster.
Old 08-30-10, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

What I am sick of is people whining about 3D. Yes, it's a gimmick. So are sound and colour in movies.
Wait... WHAT? You are seriously comparing sound and color to 3D?
Old 08-30-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I don't care if it's in 3D. As long as it's a good movie, I'll enjoy it. If the 3D is good, that's an added bonus.

What I am sick of is people whining about 3D. Yes, it's a gimmick. So are sound and colour in movies. In fact, moving pictures are nothing but a gimmick. All that matters is how well those gimmicks are used.
3D is about as life like as a pop up book. In no way is it as important to film as sound and color.
Old 08-30-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a sucker for WW2 movies, I'm in.
Old 08-30-10, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you like 3D, whatever. However, comparing it to sound and color is insane.
Old 08-31-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My point is that movies were a viable medium before sound and colour. Heck, there are still people who prefer b&w photography (and with good reason). The mere addition of those elements didn't automatically enhance movies. It was the excecution.

Don't get me wrong, not every movie calls for 3D nor am I one of those in the Cameron camp that think 3D is the future. I see 3D more as an event thing like how it was used in Setp Up 3-D or the action sequences of Monsters vs. Aliens. I don't, howver, want to see a 3D remake of Tuesdays With Maury. That's just stupid.
Old 08-31-10, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just remember that 3d is not new. It was most popular in the 50's. It then died off for like 20 years and had a small resurgance in the late 70's and 80's. Up until Avatar there were a couple 3d movies here and there but nobody really cared about them and they were mostly IMAX movies anyway. Then Avatar comes around and all of a sudden it's all 3d everyday of the week.

Of course it'll die off again. It's already died off twice in history so there's no reason to think it won't die off this time too. Personally I can't stand it, but those of us that don't like it just have to wait it out and it'll go away. For those that do like it, eat it up as much as you can now because most likely it'll die off within a couple years.
Old 08-31-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm aware of that. Which is why I think Cameron is getting ahead of himself claiming it's the future of filmmaking. Unless a whole lot of genres are gonna suddenly die out (what talky drama would even call for 3D?), I think he's being naive.

What I'd like to know is why people freak out about 3D if they're so sure it'll die out soon. It's not like you have to watch a movie in 3D. There are plenty of 2D showings. So it's not like you're being forced to watch anything in that format.
Old 08-31-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm aware of that. Which is why I think Cameron is getting ahead of himself claiming it's the future of filmmaking. Unless a whole lot of genres are gonna suddenly die out (what talky drama would even call for 3D?), I think he's being naive.

What I'd like to know is why people freak out about 3D if they're so sure it'll die out soon. It's not like you have to watch a movie in 3D. There are plenty of 2D showings. So it's not like you're being forced to watch anything in that format.
I completely agree with your second paragraph. It would be one thing if the only way to see a movie was in 3d, but like you said, people that don't like 3d can just watching the 2d version. I saw Avatar in 2d simply because it was on the Ultra Screen near me and I love watching movies on that big, huge screen. A couple weeks later I went and saw it again in 3d because apparently that was the only "true" way to watch the movie in some people's minds. Same movie, but I hated the 3d. So, if that's the king of the hill as far as 3d movies go, I'll definitely pass on 3d, but it's not a big deal because I'll just go watch movies in 2d for cheaper.

And I don't know where Cameron is getting that it's the future. It was around 60 years ago. Ok, I guess it's better now, but it's still the same gimmick.
Old 08-31-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I completely agree with your second paragraph. It would be one thing if the only way to see a movie was in 3d, but like you said, people that don't like 3d can just watching the 2d version. I saw Avatar in 2d simply because it was on the Ultra Screen near me and I love watching movies on that big, huge screen. A couple weeks later I went and saw it again in 3d because apparently that was the only "true" way to watch the movie in some people's minds. Same movie, but I hated the 3d. So, if that's the king of the hill as far as 3d movies go, I'll definitely pass on 3d, but it's not a big deal because I'll just go watch movies in 2d for cheaper.
That's how I see it. 3D haters still get to see the movie and cheaper than those that opt for the 3D version. It's a win-win for the 2D crowd. Which is why I don't get all the grumbling. It's not like they're charging extra for the 2D version.

Oh and I'd say that Step Up 3-D used the format far better than Avatar. I dunno if 3D showings also get matinee pricing where you are but, if you're inclined to check it out, you may try it that way. If you still don't like it after that movie, you have every right to tell Cameron to kiss your ass.

Originally Posted by whoopdido
And I don't know where Cameron is getting that it's the future. It was around 60 years ago. Ok, I guess it's better now, but it's still the same gimmick.
Yup. Although I like it, I freely admit it's the same shit just with a new refreshing scent of lavender added to it.
Old 08-31-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Blu Man
3D is about as life like as a pop up book. In no way is it as important to film as sound and color.
most of the time the sound in the movie is fake and created on computers, not recorded during the shooting
Old 08-31-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
most of the time the sound in the movie is fake and created on computers, not recorded during the shooting
What have you been smoking? Even the sound of the transformers transforming is different sounds recorded and then blended together. For some minor things such as an alarm that may be true, but 95% of the sound from the movie is recorded with a microphone at some point.
Old 08-31-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

it all might be recorded at some point, but it's processed on a computer before being put on film

it's not like they use raw recordings
Old 08-31-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
it all might be recorded at some point, but it's processed on a computer before being put on film

it's not like they use raw recordings
Right, but it's not "fake".