Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Seeing a director becoming better as a filmmaker w/ each film

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-29-10, 12:14 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno how to explain this but out of all the directors I've seen all their works....Akira Kurosawa and Christopher Nolan are the only ones to come up to mind that I've seen an improvement in their directing ability w/ each film. Granted AK and CN are vastly different in quality, AK being what I'd call a master of Cinema..Nolan's still growing, those 2 directors have made films that I can visibly see growth in each subsequent film (for the most part). Who else could we say have consistently grown w/ each film?

I'd want to say Kubrick but I've yet to see his much earlier works. But his WB stuff from 2001 to Eyes Wide Shut he's at the same level of filmmaker. Amazing in every regard. I can't say I saw a growth in his ability. I'd say he was at the peak of his skills and it was fucking amazing that didn't falter once he went to that top.
Old 08-29-10, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Seeing a director becoming better as a filmmaker w/ each film

I wouldn't say better but I think Wes Anderson has been one of the more consistent directors I've seen.

Brad Bird is one that I think has been great with each movie he's made as well.
Old 08-29-10, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to make a point that I think the quality in director's works come in waves. While I love Eyes Wide Shut, I doubt there are many out there that say it's his best work.

You mentioned AK and Kubrick but have you considered Italian directors like Fellini, Bertolucci, or De Sica or French New Wave giants like Truffaut, Godard or Rohmer?

Back to modern directors, I like guys like Darren Aronofsky, Brad Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson -- I think those guys get better with each film.
Old 08-29-10, 02:09 PM
En vacance

It's amazing how Sergio Leone kept going up from Colossus of Rhodes, Fistful, For a Few Dollars More, and finally GBU.
Old 08-29-10, 05:29 PM
Banned

THEN he did the greatest western and one of the greatest films ever, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST...and then he did OUATIA...which I really really like but....you can tell it's cut in places...and I want Leone's original long as fuck cut. I know if I see that cut he had to have made another complete masterpiece. Leone's daughter a while back, well not too long ago, mentioned that they'd release it at some point...and here I am..still fucking waiting...
Old 08-29-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
THEN he did the greatest western and one of the greatest films ever, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST...and then he did OUATIA...which I really really like but....you can tell it's cut in places...and I want Leone's original long as fuck cut. I know if I see that cut he had to have made another complete masterpiece. Leone's daughter a while back, well not too long ago, mentioned that they'd release it at some point...and here I am..still fucking waiting...
Isn't the complete movie available? I have a 4 hour version on dvd. There's an even longer cut than that one?
Old 08-29-10, 05:51 PM
Banned

Yes, Leone's daughter mentioned it. The cut he made for Cannes and the one we have on DVD, which is a damn fine movie btw, is the cut he did to not have it split as 2 films cuz of the producers. I can't remember where but I remember her mentioning it. I've mentioned it here several times

Wikipedia has this:

The original shooting-script, completed in October 1981 after many delays and a writers' strike that happened between April and July of that year, was 317 pages in length. At the end of filming, Leone had about 8 to 10 hours' worth of footage. With his editor, Nino Baragli, Leone trimmed this down to about almost 6 hours, and he originally wanted to release the film in two movies with three-hour parts. The producers refused (partly due to the commercial and critical failure of Bertolucci's two-part Novecento) and Leone was forced to further shorten the length of his film, resulting in a completed (i.e. scored, dubbed, edited, etc.) film of 229 minutes.
Old 08-29-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

David Lean is a good example.

Most directors blow their creative wad early and go into freefall.
Old 08-29-10, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

James Cameron's first film was Piranha 2: The Spawning. Kubrick's first film Fear And Desire has until recently been under lock and key, most likely because he was unhappy with the results (as reported by our own beloved Savant ) Francis Ford Coppola started out directing stuff like Tonight For Sure and The Bellboy And The Playgirls .
Like rock legends starting out in bars and poolhalls, filmmakers have to start somewhere, and that somewhere is the bottom unless they are already established as stars (or very connected).
Old 08-29-10, 09:27 PM
Banned

ehhhh...not really....

"I was replaced after two-and-a-half weeks by the Italian producer. He just fired me and took over, which is what he wanted to do when he hired me. It wasn't until much later that I even figured out what had happened. It was like, "Oh, man, I thought I was doing a good job." But when I saw what they were cutting together, it was horrible. And then the producer wouldn't take my name off the picture because [contractually] they couldn't deliver it with an Italian name. So they left me on, no matter what I did. I had no legal power to influence him from Pomona, California, where I was sleeping on a friend's couch. I didn't even know an attorney. In actual fact, I did some directing on the film, but I don't feel it was my first movie."
— James Cameron on "directing" Piranha II: The Spawning.
Old 08-31-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I dunno how to explain this but out of all the directors I've seen all their works....Akira Kurosawa and Christopher Nolan are the only ones to come up to mind that I've seen an improvement in their directing ability w/ each film. Granted AK and CN are vastly different in quality, AK being what I'd call a master of Cinema..Nolan's still growing, those 2 directors have made films that I can visibly see growth in each subsequent film (for the most part). Who else could we say have consistently grown w/ each film?
If we leave out DEATHPROOF, I'd say Tarantino.
Old 08-31-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
David Lean is a good example.

Most directors blow their creative wad early and go into freefall.
I personally think his filmography peaks with Lawrence of Arabia; Doctor Zhivago is gorgeous, but not quite as tight. I like Ryan's Daughter, but a lot of people hate it for being over-long and self-indulgent.

In any event, filmmaking is much more collaborative than the self-aggrandizing auteurs would have you believe. Discussing whole films as the singlehanded work of a director is entirely too reductive.
Old 08-31-10, 04:26 PM
Banned

.....true, but the unity and use of it (including the how to use it as a coherent element) is the decision of the director for the most part. This is what I understand as the ability of the filmmaker...that's as simplified as I can make of it.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 08-31-10 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-01-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

John Carpenter circa '76-'88
Old 09-02-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definately David Fincher.
Old 09-02-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
If we leave out DEATHPROOF, I'd say Tarantino.
I think Tarantino showed plenty of growth in Deathproof even if it isn't better than Kill Bill.
Old 09-02-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uwe Boll's Rampage
Old 09-02-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shyamalan! *runs out of thread