Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Any interest for Avatar:Special Edition?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Any interest for Avatar:Special Edition?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Any interest for Avatar:Special Edition?

Nope. It was pretty to look at in 3D, but once was enough. In fact, the only thing to get me to revisit the movie would be to watch it paired with its Rifftrax (which is on sale this week). And there the humor would be intentional.
Old 08-27-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I liked Avatar, but I thought the original cut was already about 20 minutes too long.
Old 08-27-10, 03:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RD1973
Is this re-released version the exact same version that will be on Blu-Ray in two months?
no the rerelease is 171 minutes, the bluray will be 178 minutes (or 187) + 45 minutes of additional footage in the supplement section.
Old 08-27-10, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I'd be interested, but my local IMAX isn't showing it for some reason.
I'm really annoyed that AMC Tysons didn't book this on their IMAX screen, I'm going to go the XD route and see this at the Cinemark Egyptian screen on Monday, since I find the sound to be just as good (and better, in some cases).

The IMAX screening I saw in July at Natural History was somewhat of a letdown since the 1.78 image did not encompass the entire screen, mind you the soundtrack was the best I had heard, but the image didn't impress me.
Old 08-27-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A pic of jimbo in his new theme park.

Caption: I have no face but I must screech.
Old 08-27-10, 05:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Just wanted to "transplant" this bit of conversation over to here from the HD Talk thread, as I am apparently not wanted over in the other Avatar thread (my opinion is too negative for some)...boo-hoo.

.... .....

So, to reiterate to the OP here: NO.
Mod Note: Why did you want to transplant that bit of discussion? It seems to be about Blu-ray and home theater, not a re-release of Avatar in theaters. Smells like threadcrapping to me.
Old 08-27-10, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I liked the film. I don't hate or love it. I love the behind the scenes working of the film. I enjoyed it sure. I'm getting the new BD cuz of Cameron's filmmaking not so much the film. I want the features and whatnot cuz well...as a student filmmaker...I want to learn about all the new stuff that may possibly be available to me as a filmmaker in the future...except the 3D part. That's what I want the most of the new BD.
Old 08-27-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal Varnsen
I only saw it on DVD. Is it worth it to see it in 3D at a theater?
It's pretty awesome in IMAX 3D. But it's up to you to decide if you want to spend the dough. IMO, if you have the time and extra money, go for it if you like the movie.

I will say I enjoyed the movie more on BD. The 3D effect can pull you away from actually watching the movie since you're kinda checking out the stuff on the perimeter of the frame.
Old 08-27-10, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Mod Note: Why did you want to transplant that bit of discussion? It seems to be about Blu-ray and home theater, not a re-release of Avatar in theaters. Smells like threadcrapping to me.
Precisely.

You had to warn him many times about that.
Old 08-27-10, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense, Lemmy. But....you're almost hitting chris_sc77 annoyance. Chill out, Lemmy. It's just a movie.
Old 08-27-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From Movieweb:

Avatar finds itself back on Earth in new Blu-ray/DVD special editionAvatar is back in theaters today with an addition nine minutes of never-before-seen footage reinstated back into the original body of the movie. It has also been announced that when the Special Edition versions of the DVD and Blu-ray hit in November, there will be another all-new seven minutes of footage added to what we'll be seeing this weekend, for a version of Avatar that is a full sixteen-minutes longer than what was formerly released this past December.

We know from earlier reports what we're going to see in this new theatrical footage that has been added, but what about the additional scenes being brought back into the DVD and Blu-ray release? In speaking with Oregon Live, James Cameron announced for the first time what, exactly, he was adding back into the upcoming home market version of the Special Edition.

The biggest change will be that he is bringing back the original Earthbound opening of the film, which begins on what has been called a "polluted, dystopian Earth". There will also be at least forty-five minutes of unfinished deleted scenes.

Here is what James Cameron had to say about this impending Blu-ray/DVD release:

"If you buy the box set in November, you can sit down, and in a continuous screening of the film, watch it with the Earth opening. In November, you can buy a box set with all the bells and whistles. It's got like 45 minutes of unfinished deleted scenes that exist in a supplement where you can just play the scenes individually...On the whole Earth opening, the visual effects weren't done, and we had to go back and spend a million bucks or whatever to get those shots done...But you'll be able to watch a 16-minute-longer version of the film that's a nice, flowing, cohesive version of the movie. If you just want to wallow in Avatar for three hours, I can get that for you.

James Cameron went on to describe this all-new opening in detail. Here is what he told Oregon Live:

"It works very well. It just takes a long time to get the movie started. You have to be sort of predisposed to like the movie like a fan, you know what I mean? And then you can sit and you can have a great ride -- a different telling of Avatar. Not inconsistent -- it's just the stuff that happened off-camera. We call it "the Earth opening." It's about 4 1/2 minutes of stuff. And it was in for the longest time. It was very late in the day that we took it out. I walked in one day and said to my two editors, "Guys, I want each of you to cut a new version of the start of the film, Reel 1, that doesn't have any Earth in it at all." And they looked at me like I was out of my mind. And I said, "No -- it's gonna work." They had to figure out the details. I said, "Just grab a couple of things to use as flashbacks, and start it in space when Jake opens his eyes."

Avatar Special Edition is in theaters starting this Friday, and the DVD and Blu-ray Special Editions will be in stores this November.

--- here's the Oregon live article:

http://www.oregonlive.com/movies/ind...cameron_o.html
Old 08-28-10, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm gonna be in the DC/Baltimore area next week and would like to see this again. I saw it on a tiny AMC digital IMAX back in December so would be up for seeing it on a giant screen in the area. Any reccomendations???? Thanks as always.
Old 08-28-10, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I will pass on seeing this again. It just didn't do it for me.
Old 08-28-10, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I enjoyed seeing the new footage integrated with the rest of the film, didn't think it needed to be trimmed from the original cut, unless they truly were worried about running time concerns (watching it in 3D, etc.)
Old 08-28-10, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by dcprules
I'm gonna be in the DC/Baltimore area next week and would like to see this again. I saw it on a tiny AMC digital IMAX back in December so would be up for seeing it on a giant screen in the area. Any reccomendations???? Thanks as always.
personally I'd recommend seeing it at the Cinemark Egyptian at Arundal Mills on their XD screen

Last edited by Giles; 08-28-10 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-28-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it in Imax last night using the SD groupon fandango deal from earlier this week. The $4 tickets were not supposed to work with Imax or 3D movies, but when I tried it just to try it, it took $14 off of my ticket total.

I enjoyed watching it again in Imax and 3D. It's a much different experience from the Blu-ray and it's how 3D should be done. The difference between that and the post converted movies is incredible. I'll never pay for another post converted 3D movie again!
Old 08-28-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This re-release *might* make about $4 million based on Friday's box office rake of about $1.2 million.
Old 08-28-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was mildly interested but it isn't playing in my area so I'll wait for the SE BD.
Old 08-28-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

nope. Once was enough for me.
Old 08-28-10, 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=Patman;10343332]This re-release *might* make about $4 million

AVATAR: SPECIAL EDITION FOX · 811 · $3,500,000 · $4,316 · $3,500,000

its average though of $4,316 per screen is higher then 3rd place

THE EXPENDABLES Lionsgate · 3398 · $9,000,000 · $2,649 · $81,512,246

still its pretty good considering the movie just came out on bluray a few months ago
Old 08-28-10, 01:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty good considering the movie was still in theaters when it came out on Blu-ray a few months ago.
Old 08-28-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. not that good fell asleep multiple times while watching it.
Old 08-28-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw the film for the first time and I thought it was very good up until the
Spoiler:
final fight with Quaritch. A fucking knife for a robot? Not some retractable protrusion from the fist but a fucking robot-handheld knife? Took me completely out of that scene.

Even though it was fair to average it didn't seem to jump in the narrative, there was a nice even flow to it. I would definitely watch a sequel and wonder if it's going to be a re-match or more of Na'vi orientated film. I did like it better than the Hurt Locker as a film, not on the actual material.
Old 08-28-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
Saw the film for the first time and I thought it was very good up until the
Spoiler:
final fight with Quaritch. A fucking knife for a robot? Not some retractable protrusion from the fist but a fucking robot-handheld knife? Took me completely out of that scene.
Spoiler:
Sure, he's in a robot but he's still an old-school kind of soldier. Seemed in-character to me.
Old 08-29-10, 09:41 AM

I saw Avatar twice in Theatres, and about 20 times so far on Blu-ray. Any extra footage for a rabid fan like me is a good thing. But I think I might just wait til bluray. Save myself for that extra footage and enjoy it for the first time at home.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.