Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best (off-the-grid) movies you've seen in a long time?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Best (off-the-grid) movies you've seen in a long time?

Old 12-13-10, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Best (off-the-grid) movies you've seen in a long time?

Barry Munday; I posted a thread about it in October? when it was on HDNet, being that it's a Magnolia limited release film. It was very funny and I liked how they used the camera in an unusual way compared to most comedies in that it was a second-person perspective.
Old 12-13-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ I didn't catch that when it was on HDNet, but I did notice the other day that it is available at Redbox. I'll probably check it out this week.
Old 12-13-10, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I really loved this too. Of course, I've loved everything I've seen from the Dardenne brothers, but still this was one of my most memorable theater-going experiences of recent years.
Originally Posted by RichC2
Was this actually good? I saw a trailer for it before Moon in theaters and was laughing at how bad it looked, in large part to the trailer the studio put together which was every arthouse foreign movie cliche thrown into one.
The Dardennes are a bit divisive, but no matter what you think of their films I think it would be hard to justify calling them cliche (the trailer, of course, is another matter entirely.) Bresson seems to be the most common comparison (and "L'enfant" does contain some direct references to "Pickpocket"), but they have their own, very identifiable style.
Old 12-13-10, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since this is bumped, here's a relatively recent discovery for me that I really liked. A fantastic film.

Old 12-13-10, 08:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Available on Netflix Streaming, found this gem while checking out the IMDB top 250 and thought it was worth a look. Absolutely terrific. Pretty mature content...this is not for little kids. Takes a very dark turn near the end with some incredibly heavy subject matter. Seen it twice now and will likely buy the Blu Ray.