Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst Movie You've Seen In A Long Time ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Worst Movie You've Seen In A Long Time ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 04:05 PM
M&J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Worst Movie You've Seen In A Long Time ?

Oh yeah!!
Old 08-24-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm sure I'll get eye rolls for this, but I honestly hated Avatar. But I found the story incredibly derivative, most of the acting very wooden and mediocre, the dialogue laughably bad, the battle scenes ho-hum, the logic non-existent, and many of the characters stereotypical to the point of absurdity.

Although I didn't see it recently (or see the whole thing), I literally left the theater to take a phone call for about 15 minutes which I never ever ever do. The film is just a media phenomenon more than an actual piece of good filmmaking, it was like so many media outlets proclaimed it to be so monumental that people feel they have to love it because they are told to. I found nothing creative about the world or creatures within at all, it was all so sterile & monotonous. And the film was so damn preachy it was hard not to vomit while watching it.
Old 08-24-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts

I recently saw Driven, a Stallone movie about car racing that was . . . insulting.

There was nothing wrong with Avatar. It was an old fashioned adventure movie, with plot, dialogue, and acting to match. Buster Crabbe or Johnny Weismuller would have been right at home as the white man who shows up, wins the heart of the princess, becomes the war-leader, and saves the colored tribes. It did that movie very well, and it looked beautiful. You people who are complaining about Avatar probably also complain about the plot holes in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Old 08-24-10, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

- Dragonball Evolution - even though the Anime is a straightforward action/adventure cartoon they still managed to crap all over it. Even The Fantastic Four is a better brainless CGI movie.

- Date Movie -Simply unwatchable. I'm glad to hear people actually destroyed the DVD. We really need to erase that movie from our past. Nobody should ever be put to watch that. There is absolutely nothing, nothing to learn.

- S. Darko - Pointless, souless, plotless, uninteresting. Its like staring at your empty cubicle walls for an hour and a half and actually that might be more entertaining.

- The Day the Earth Stood Still (remake) I actually wrote a review for it
Spoiler:

"The only poetic thing is that I was vomiting in Stanzas"

Having watched and loved every second of the original. Recognizing its perfect pacing, plot development, and delivery of its message. I really did not see the point of a remake at all.

So what did I watched this you might ask? Well because my "Day the Earth Stood Still" blu-ray came with a copy of this crap and it was $8.00 so it was cheaper than buying the single disc edition. So since it was there, I decided it to at least give it a try. Oh the Horror, the Horror!

First of all here we have a completely different Klaatu. He is not the wise alien with a message anymore. But a hollow being with a mission, to kill us all that is of course. Yes Aliens coming to destroy us ...very original.
The original Klaatau was part of a conglomerate union that would look for balance and harmony within the universe, he was there to understand, teach and as such he was beyond our human imperfections.
But here his role is not to warn or understand but to just to mindlessly follow orders. Not even when he sees a fight on the subway does he show any emotion. He just continues eating his sandwich as if he has no idea or doesn't care some poor guy is getting mugged.

Now my question is how is the faith of the human race put into the hands of someone with no moral values or feelings whatsoever? Are the people who put him in charge equally retarded? I guess so. Anyways Keanu Reeves plays this role perfectly.

We also have a different "Helen" too. She is not just some random housewife he encounters but a scientist. Because is the 21st century and now everyone is scientist i guess... This has absolutely no purpose on the story of course. She could have been a miner as far as I'm concerned, the point is that she makes him see our humanity. How she did that i don't know she just said we are good and that was her biggest argument??!!

Then we go to the McDonalds scene (shown significantly big so that you stop by one yourself on your way back home. Oh wait I'm home. Damn it now i have to drive for a big Mac) Anyhow he encounters Mr. Wu the alien informer and he says "They are destructive, and they won't change." Then Keanu says good lets kill them and go then but Mr. Wu says "I'm staying. You see there is another side to them. I love them." This completely goes against his previous description of our race. So what was his point anyways. Is this movie full retards? I guess so.

Anyways at the end Klaatu recognizes we can change and decides to stop our destruction. No spoiler alert needed really. Its a Keanu Reeves movie for crying out loud, he has to save the world at the end.

PS: To further my point on the special features they have people discussing the impact of the original and wisely point out one of klaatu's lines "I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." of course absent on this remake. And then talking about the importance of Lincoln memorial scene also absent from this film. They even have a guy who worked on this crap talking about how he didn't like how far they were going with the design of Gort. And then the director unashamedly admitting "Yeah I didn't really like the original Gort design" Did he even realized that his absence of detail or movement is what helped created the tension of what he was capable of.
Old 08-24-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Paranormal Activity. I haven't been more disappointed in a film in a very long time. The scares didn't really get to me, and everything the actors did was not believable. The ending was laughable too, I was literally laughing at it.
Dreadful film. Utter crap. Devoid of any semblance of a scare.
Old 08-24-10, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AVP:R
RE: Apocalypse
Ultraviolet
Old 08-24-10, 06:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I tried watching a Meg Ryan movie 'Serious Moonlight' the other night, and I just couldn't take it, after some fifteen minutes, I had to walk away from it... ugh it was like sliding a dull knife into one's eyeball.
Old 08-24-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched Survival of the Dead last night. That's 90 minutes of my life I won't get back.
Old 08-24-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

From Paris with Love - terrible in every way. I actually expected that, the only reason I watched was to see how crazy Travolta got. He was ok but nothing you've never seen before... you know there's not much there when they have to start joking about other characters they've played (in much better movies).
Old 08-24-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Couple of Netflix movies I couldn't even make it through recently were 2012 & Whiteout. I can't imagine that people actually may own these movies.
Old 08-24-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Freddy Got Fingered

complete and utter trash!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-10, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
Freddy Got Fingered

complete and utter trash!!!!!!!!!
Daddy would you like some sausage
Old 08-24-10, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
a tie between the READER and The Lovely Bones...oh and Valentines Day...
"The Reader"!? Wow. I can see someone not enjoying it. But worst you have seen in a long time?
Old 08-24-10, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
"The Reader"!? Wow. I can see someone not enjoying it. But worst you have seen in a long time?
I had the same reaction as you. The Reader is definitely not a film many are going to enjoy, but I cannot fathom it making it into such a position of dishonor.
Old 08-24-10, 09:17 PM

Robin Hood - How on Earth did Ridley Scott sink so low
Old 08-24-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
I had the same reaction as you. The Reader is definitely not a film many are going to enjoy, but I cannot fathom it making it into such a position of dishonor.
Actually, I would same it's a film some wouldn't enjoy. I could never imagine most wouldn't. I think some are still pissed it got a Best Picture Oscar nomination and "The Dark Knight" didn't. Look, I couldn't stand "The Hours". Same director as "The Reader". But was it the worst movie I've seen in a long time? No, it's not even a bad film. I just didn't enjoy it. It was just too stagey for me. But when I think of "bad" movies, I think of movies like the aforementioned "Exorcist: the Beginning". Or any of the spoof movies like "Vampires Suck".
Old 08-24-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Cop out..........Fucking TERRIBLE movie.

The Happening as well only mentioned cause it's still fairly recent and prob one of the worst I've ever seen.
Old 08-24-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

The Happening

vowed to never watch another M. Night Shyamalan movie again.
Old 08-24-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2012, i actually walked out of my own basement to get away from the dreck (my dad wanted to see it), after about an hour and 10 min in, i look at the clock, and went 'christ theres still an hour 20 minutes left, fuck it i'm out'
Old 08-24-10, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
The Happening

vowed to never watch another M. Night Shyamalan movie again.
I don't understand why I keep seeing people saying this...

The Happening was one of the best comedies to come out in the last few years.
Old 08-24-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alien vs Predator
New Moon
The Contract
Old 08-24-10, 10:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
You people who are complaining about Avatar probably also complain about the plot holes in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
What plot holes? And don't mention submarine because that has been explained ad adnauseam.
Old 08-24-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

April Fools Day (remake)
Old 08-24-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Give 'Em Hell Malone
End Game (with Kurt Angle)

Major movie: Iron Man 2
Old 08-24-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The Happening and Lovely Bones...and Mrk Wahlberg is one of my favorite actors!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.