Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cross - Idris Elba, David Twohy - 2011

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cross - Idris Elba, David Twohy - 2011

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, Alex Cross - now with sass and flash (S: Tyler Perry, D: Rob Cohen)

Idris Elba has signed to play Dr. Alex Cross in Cross, a new installment of James Patterson's bestselling murder mystery series that will be directed by David Twohy. Kerry Williamson wrote the script. Elba takes over the role originated by Morgan Freeman, who played the sleuth in the Paramount Pictures thrillers, 1997's Kiss the Girls and 2001's Along Came A Spider. Twohy is doing a rewrite.

In the novel, Cross tracks a serial rapist who may have murdered his pregnant wife years before. The film is being produced by Lloyd Levin, Belle Avery and Leopoldo Gout, along with the author and Steve Bowen.

Production will begin in 2011, likely in the spring. The film will be privately financed and distribution is being set. Paramount is a possibility.
http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/idri...ilm-franchise/

EDIT (2/1/11): Elba and Twohy are out; Tyler Perry and Rob Cohen (XXX, The Fast and The Furious) are in.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/tyle...as-alex-cross/

Last edited by DGibFen; 02-01-11 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-19-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Cross - Idris Elba, David Twohy - 2011

I'm down

I liked the character in Kiss the Girls and Along Came A Spider, and I'm looking forward to what Elba brings to the role. Twohy can be a pretty solid director, too.
Old 08-19-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait. Easily one of my favorite actors and I hope he blows up. He would make an excellent Bond bad guy.
Old 08-19-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by thelwig14
Easily one of my favorite actors and I hope he blows up.
I'd hate to see what you want to happen to actors you don't like.
Old 08-19-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Blu Man
I'd hate to see what you want to happen to actors you don't like.
He would be great in a buddy cop comedy, too...you could be his funny partner sidekick.
Old 08-19-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder how they pick which "Alex Cross" novels to turn into movies. There has to have been at least a dozen other books written between Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider and Cross. I believe Cross is fairly new while the other two were written in the mid 90's or even earlier. There are plenty of other good "Alex Cross" books so I'm just curious why "Cross" was chosen as the next one to become a movie.
Old 08-19-10, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I wonder how they pick which "Alex Cross" novels to turn into movies. There has to have been at least a dozen other books written between Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider and Cross. I believe Cross is fairly new while the other two were written in the mid 90's or even earlier. There are plenty of other good "Alex Cross" books so I'm just curious why "Cross" was chosen as the next one to become a movie.
Reading Monkees + Poo = Movie Adaptations

Nah'. Probably has something to do with the producer's ability to cheaply secure the rights. And their ability to find independent financing, or get a studio to greenlight it.
Old 08-19-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Reading Monkees + Poo = Movie Adaptations

Nah'. Probably has something to do with the producer's ability to cheaply secure the rights. And their ability to find independent financing, or get a studio to greenlight it.
Oh I get that, but Along Came A Spider was written in 1993 and Kiss the Girls was written in 1995. Cross was written in 2006. 9 other Alex Cross books were written in between and they all pretty much follow the same formula. I've read most of them but really have a hard time distinguishing one from the other because they're all so similar. I just wonder why Cross was picked as the next movie adaptation and not one of the other 9 books.
Old 08-20-10, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You had me at Idris Elba.
Old 08-20-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh I get that, but Along Came A Spider was written in 1993 and Kiss the Girls was written in 1995. Cross was written in 2006. 9 other Alex Cross books were written in between and they all pretty much follow the same formula. I've read most of them but really have a hard time distinguishing one from the other because they're all so similar. I just wonder why Cross was picked as the next movie adaptation and not one of the other 9 books.
As you said yourself, it's a 2006 book. They tried getting this film made a few years ago with Tyrese Gibson, probably when the book was still in galleys. This is just the newest development on that already-gestating film.
Old 08-20-10, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

the more i think about this, the more badass this could be. hopefully it turns out well. i think it's a great choice for casting. guess, i'd better get my ass in gear and start reading Cross. I'm 2 books behind.
Old 08-20-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
the more i think about this, the more badass this could be. hopefully it turns out well. i think it's a great choice for casting. guess, i'd better get my ass in gear and start reading Cross. I'm 2 books behind.
I agree. Never understand the Morgan Freeman casting, especially since they did adapt another book, so it wasn't just a one and done. Not sure why they haven't adapted any others.

Anyway, Alex Cross is portrayed as a fairly young, big, powerful dude. I think something like 6 ft 4 or 5 and built. Certainly nothing like Morgan Freeman. I don't think Idris Elba is quite that big, but he's a pretty big dude and fits the character much better. I like him too.

I hope it does well and they end up making more of the Cross books into movies. Like I said before, they're all pretty similar and with some minor changes it wouldn't be a big deal to go backwards and adapt some of the other ones before Cross.
Old 08-20-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyway, Alex Cross is portrayed as a fairly young, big, powerful dude. I think something like 6 ft 4 or 5 and built. Certainly nothing like Morgan Freeman. I don't think Idris Elba is quite that big, but he's a pretty big dude and fits the character much better. I like him too.
According to IMDB, Elba is nearly 6'3", so I think he fits.
Old 08-21-10, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Damnit, isn't Twohy supposed to be working on the 3rd Riddick film? He needs to make up for the embarrassment that was "Chronicles" and get back to the formula that worked with "Pitch Black" (one of the underrated sci fi films of the past decade, imo).
Old 08-21-10, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by iggystar

Same here.
Old 08-21-10, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Elba is awesome. I will definitely see this. Interesting to see in the OP that this film will be privately financed. Hopefully Paramount picks it up and gives it a fairly decent release and promotion.
Old 08-21-10, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by iggystar
I don't know, he is arguably the greatest TV villain ever, but at least for me, he has never come close to living up to Stringer so I'm surprised so many here are going nuts for him. His film career & performances have been completely forgettable.
Old 02-01-11, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

In the "What the Fuck" news of the day, Idris Elba out......Tyler Perry in????

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/192...new-alex-cross
Old 02-01-11, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok...now I will NOT be seeing this.
Old 02-01-11, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Elba and Twohy are out, Rob Cohen (d: xXx, Stealth, The Mummy 3) and Tyler Perry are in.

That effectively made it go from "might be good" to "fucking kill it!"
Old 02-01-11, 10:56 AM

Ok...now I will NOT be seeing this.
+1

No way can Perry pull off Alex Cross.
Old 02-01-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mysteryfan
+1

No way can Perry pull off Alex Cross.

Oh no you didn't! *snaps fingers with a head bob and weave
Old 02-01-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Will Tyler Perry be playing Alex Cross' wife and mother as well?

How the hell do you go from Elba to Perry? I looked at the original Deadline.com story and it doesn't mention why Elba dropped out.
Old 02-01-11, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
In the "What the Fuck" news of the day, Idris Elba out......Tyler Perry in????

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/192...new-alex-cross

I don't mind his other crossdressing movies but I can't him in this role.
Old 02-01-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk God

This has to be the most unintentionally hilarious comment on the reason why they changed the lead from Idris Elba to Tyler Perry:

From EW.com

Elba’s rep had no comment, but Bill Block, CEO of QED International (District 9), which acquired the rights and the initial script by Kerry Williamson and Patterson late last year (and hired Marc Moss, who worked on the previous Cross films, to refine it for Perry and Cohen), just filled us in: “When we came on, we looked at it freshly, and just built it from the bottom up,” he tells EW. “Sure, Idris is a great actor; Tyler Perry is a phenomenon. Tyler Perry is one of the most significant entertainers in all of media. He is a huge cross-media talent and presence — and he’s a terrific actor whose range is going to be shown here. You’re going to see Tyler Perry like you haven’t seen him. He’s 6’5″, he is a linebacker. He is an awesome physical presence and is just going to tear it apart here. It’s an intense, dramatic role.” Block says the film — “a kickass, crusading action picture” — will be the first of several Alex Cross films. “This is going to be the new Tyler Perry franchise, a worldwide one,” he says. “That’s the other thing: Tyler Perry is going to take this to the worldwide audience. It’s just a very different, much bigger opportunity.” (It’s worth noting that Block was, in fact, phoning us as he arrived at the airport, about to fly to the European Film Market in Berlin to sell global distribution rights.) “We went to him,” Block says. “If you can get Tyler Perry or Will Smith, you try.”

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.