Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that need to go 3-D

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that need to go 3-D

Old 08-18-10, 07:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts
Re: Movies that need to go 3-D

Originally Posted by Lemmy
That's the only way I'll ever spend another second on that dreck. I've seen it twice, and can tell you that it's incredible.....in it's craptacularness.
many would disagree.
Old 08-18-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
All the movies below need to be "Natural" 3D, not junk always thrown at you.

The next Batman movie - Action, driving the batcar right at you, Batcave in 3D...

Avengers - IronMans beams, Hulk jumping off the screen, Arrows flying, Wasp, Captain America's sheild...

Superman - Big battle against Darkseid, Superman would have to let everything loose to save the world. Buildings fall, fire, rocks...Superman/Darkseid punching/flying/falling all over the place.

John Carter of Mars

Now those movies are made for 3D!!!!!!!!!
Did I miss what you did there? Your examples completely contradict your opening statement. (They are cool examples though!)

How about Independence Day, Armageddon, and The Rock.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 08-18-10 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the only way I'll ever spend another second on that dreck. I've seen it twice, and can tell you that it's incredible.....in it's craptacularness.
This might be a stupid question, but if you hate it, why did you watch it twice?
Old 08-19-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Three words will answer that.

Spoiler:
ASS TO ASS!

Just kidding. Mostly.

Really, though? I wanted to see it again, and maybe find something in it I've missed before, as it is very loved by its' fans. I hated No Country For Old Men the first time I saw it, specifically because of the ending. But after viewing it again, it grew on me very much, and has become a favorite of mine. In fact, I now love the ending.

But RFAD? That one never rose above its' mediocrity (at best) for me.
Gotchya.

Yeah, I've revisited movies I didn't like just to give them a second chance. I usually do it only if there was at least something about the film that effected me somehow. If I just plain hated a movie, I won't watch it again.

That said, I have watched Requiem' about 5 times (The first time I watched it, I actually watched it twice in a row). To me it just seems like it's a film I didn't think someone would watch more than once if they didn't like it. Probably just how depressing it is.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 08-19-10 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-19-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 380 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Citizen Kane
Haha. Of all the movies mentioned here, Citizen Kane would be one of [technically] easiest to convert to 3D. Think of all the shots, which seem prime for 3D (the entry through the glass window, shots of Xanadu, the fireplace, the long-lense-seperately-filmed split shots, the board meetings).

I think that we should just do a remake. Who's the 'modern' Charles Kane / Hearst?

Yea, but to do it would be like peeing on the bible ... in church.
Old 08-19-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 380 Likes on 270 Posts

But RFAD? That one never rose above its' mediocrity (at best) for me. z
Yea. My young, hip, cool friends love it. But anyone who's dealt with heroin (themselves or friends) know that the movie is pretentious and full of shite. I was told that Requeim for a Dream is like the Reefer Madness of heroin. I usually snap back and tell them that it wasn't a movie about heroin, but about addiction. But I have to admit that's a weak defense - the movie's main drug of choice is heroin.

Fucking genius, engaging, drama with a perfectly timed orchestration? Yea. Narratively and stylistically truthful to the reality of the drug? Apparently not (though I'm too inexperienced to know).

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 08-19-10 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-20-10, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im curious as to what was so full of shite in RFAD? ive been around a few of hardcore drug users and seen many documentaries. RFAD didnt seem that far of base to me. other than maybe the mom towards he end. i will say i love the movie, even though it is horribly depressing and i felt disgusting after watching it.
Old 08-21-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Did I miss what you did there? Your examples completely contradict your opening statement. (They are cool examples though!)

How about Independence Day, Armageddon, and The Rock.
The movies I used would all have natural action that would come off the screen, so none of the "3D" would have to be "Made UP", it would all be natural 3D.
Old 08-21-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

OK, I think I'm following you ... and I'll agree. 3D is much more effective when, like music or sound effects, it is subtle, not shoved down your throat (or, in this case, your eyes). In other words, a film lush with detail (such as the jungles of Jurassic Park) works more "naturally" than most 3D movies where the action is specifically and forcefully aimed at the camera/viewer's eye.

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
All the movies below need to be "Natural" 3D, not junk always thrown at you.

The next Batman movie - Action, driving the batcar right at you, Batcave in 3D...

Avengers - IronMans beams, Hulk jumping off the screen, Arrows flying, Wasp, Captain America's sheild...

Superman - Big battle against Darkseid, Superman would have to let everything loose to save the world. Buildings fall, fire, rocks...Superman/Darkseid punching/flying/falling all over the place.

John Carter of Mars

Now those movies are made for 3D!!!!!!!!!
IMO, the movies you picked are great candidates, but some of the examples were slightly contradictory.
Old 08-21-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Human Centipede