Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dylan Dog: Dead Of Night

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I doubt I'll love it as much as Dellamorte, Dellamore but I'm in.

<object width="450" height="389"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/26029"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/26029" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="389" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 08-17-10, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Dylan Dog: Dead Of Night

I was going to post this....damn you, sir...

Anyway..never heard of the comic...but it looks like teh stuff I'd like..also Routh! So....I'm game for this.
Old 08-17-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not surprised you never heard of them. They're a series of Italian horror comics. Here's some info courtesy of Wikipedia:

Dylan Dog is an Italian horror comics series featuring an eponymous character (a paranormal investigator) created by Tiziano Sclavi for the publishing house Sergio Bonelli Editore. Though published in Italy, the series is mainly set in London, where the protagonist lives, though he occasionally travels elsewhere.

Sclavi's progressive disinvolvement has left other authors the task of carrying forward character continuity. After being absent for several years, Xabaras returned in 2004.

Dark Horse Comics has published the English version of Dylan Dog. It is also published in Croatia under Ludens, Serbia under Veseli Četvrtak, Denmark under Shadow Zone Media, The Netherlands under Silvester, Poland under Egmont Polska, Spain under Aleta Ediciones, and in Turkey under Rodeo and Hoz Comics.
Dylan Dog is a penniless nightmare investigator (in fact, his title in Italian is "L'indagatore dell'incubo", which translates as "Nightmare Investigator") who defies the whole preceding horror tradition with a vein of surrealism and an anti-bourgeois rhetoric.

His clothes are one of his defining characteristics: he always dresses the same way, in a red shirt, black jacket, and blue jeans; he bought twelve identical outfits after the death of his lover Lillie Connolly. Even during the worst weather, he never wears an overcoat or even carries an umbrella, since, according to him, an overcoat "would ruin his look", and he thinks that an umbrella is a "useless invention. Especially when it doesn't rain."

One of the principal supporting characters in the series is his assistant (or rather, comic relief), Groucho, a punning double of Groucho Marx. Another supporting character is Inspector Bloch, who was his superior when he worked at Scotland Yard and remains his father figure (in fact he calls Dylan "Old boy") even after Dylan struck out on his own to become a private investigator specializing in the supernatural.

Dylan lives with Groucho at 7 Craven Road in a cluttered apartment with a doorbell that screams. His hobbies include playing the clarinet and constructing a model ship which apparently never manages to finish; he has many phobias, including claustrophobia, bats and heights. Dylan is also particularly susceptible to motion sickness, which is one of the reasons why he rarely travels, and anyway never by plane. Once an alcoholic, he now never drinks. He is a vegetarian. Dylan cares little for many aspects of modern life. He hates cellphones and to record his memories, he still uses a feather-pen and an inkpot. Naturally, he loves literature (poetry in particular), music (his tastes range from classical to heavy metal), and horror films. Though perpetually penniless, he doesn't seem to be interested in money. In fact, the usual first piece of advice he gives to numerous clients who have found themselves in his study over the years is to go to a psychiatrist or psychologist.

He does not believe in coincidences.

He's also a hopeless romantic who loves and loses a new woman in nearly every issue. In fact, in a majority of his cases, his clients are women, with whom he often has a sexual relationship.

Dylan Dog seems to have an Oedipus complex: many of the numerous women he pursues resemble his mother Morgana, and he dramatically collides with the shadow of his father -- Xabaras -- (Slight transformation of Abraxas) cut into two halves, which seems to allude to the ambivalence of this father figure and of Dylan's feelings for him.
Rupert Everett was the basis for the look of the character. Which is what led to his involvement in one of my favorite films, Dellamorte, Dellamore:

In 1994 Italian director Michele Soavi directed the film Dellamorte Dellamore (known abroad as Cemetery Man or Of Death and Love), with a screenplay written by Giovanni Romoli and based on Tiziano Sclavi's similarly titled novel. Francesco Dellamorte (his mother's surname was Dellamore) - a sort of Italian alter ego for Dylan Dog - appears for the first time in the third special issue of Dylan Dog, Orrore nero (Black Horror), released July 1989, in which he met the Nightmares Detective, but the Sclavi's novel was written before the special issue.

Francesco Dellamorte also appears in a short sequel of Orrore nero, entitled Stelle cadenti (Falling stars), where Dylan, Groucho, Francesco and Gnaghi are walking together during saint Lawrence's night, watching shooting stars and talking about life and death. But they are not alone, that night...

English actor Rupert Everett played the protagonist, Francesco Dellamorte, while Italian model and actress Anna Falchi played the female lead. Although Everett, playing Dellamorte, wore Dylan Dog's trademark costume, the Dylan Dog character did not appear in the movie

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-17-10 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

interesting....
Old 08-17-10, 03:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't wait!
Old 08-17-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm. My thoughts.

Glad to see Brandon Routh getting some genre roles like this. I was afraid he would have been scapegoated after Superman Returns and never seen again.

Clark Kent and Jimmy Olsen, together again.

Seen this plot a dozen times.

Will probably be another CGI crapfest.

"From The Director of TMNT"

Worst voice-of-god narration ever.
Old 08-17-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GreenScar
Some pics of the movie have surfaced:

Ex-Superman Brandon Routh stars as Dylan, a penniless nightmare investigator who investigates the murder of his friend in a New Orleans populated by undead and supernatural creatures. Five of the websites who attended the set visit have debuted the first batch of photos from the film, including our first look at Routh as Dylan, Sam Huntington as his sidekick Marcus, and Taye Diggs as Vargas, the leader of a family of vampires.
Source
Old 02-20-11, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

US release date has been set for April 29, 2011 through Freestyle Releasing.

I can't think of anything else that they have released, and the linked article describes them as a "last option" distributor, so we'll see how well they advertise the flick over the next 2 months.
Old 03-04-11, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New domestic trailer;

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-6p6HCd9kug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks pretty fun
Old 03-04-11, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like tons of fun. And I'm glad they're keeping Dylan Dog in the title.
Old 04-29-11, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No reviews the night before the opening? That's not a good sign.
I thought Routh's career was going to take off after Superman Returns,
What happened?
Old 04-29-11, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Not only that but it's predicted to do only around $2-4m this weekend...
Old 04-29-11, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kept seeing this advertised on TV and thought it looked decent. But it isn't even opening where I live.

I checked boxofficemojo and it's only opening in about 900 theatres.
Old 04-29-11, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, damn .. I was planning on seeing this but it isn't showing anywhere near me, either
Old 04-29-11, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I thought Routh's career was going to take off after Superman Returns,
What happened?
Superman Returns was supposed to be his big break, didn't happen.

I like Routh though, seems like a cool enough guy and was good in Scott Pilgrim.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-29-11 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-29-11, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Freestyle Releasing. An even worse sign.
Old 04-29-11, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I thought the trailer looked fun. Will be relegated to the Netflix queue, though.
Old 04-29-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

PG-13 CGI-filled crap. That's what it is.
Some of the humor kinda works but the rest is pure shit. Avoid!
Old 04-29-11, 10:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Am I crazy? Did I see a different trailer than everybody else? This looks terrible.
Old 04-29-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I want to see this, but the PG-13 rating and glimpses of less-than-impressive CGI have me concerned.
Old 04-29-11, 02:14 PM
Banned by request

I'm too much of a Dylan Dog fan to not see this, even if it's terrible.
Old 04-29-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This... was fucking awful. And I've been a big fan of Routh, but he was awful here. Everything was awful. It was like a bad Buffy episode.

Spoiler:
Even more so because of the blatantly obvious stunt double for the female monster hunter. Seriously, that was painfully noticeable.
Old 04-29-11, 06:46 PM
Banned by request

I'm seeing it tomorrow.
Old 04-29-11, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It premiered in Italy last month. The general concensus was that it was fun but nowhere near as good as the comics.

I'll be watching it anyway.

In other news, Michele Soavi announced that he's finally making a sequel to Dellamorte Dellamore. No word as to the plot or the cast.
Old 04-30-11, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I was all set to see this tomorrow, but it's only playing at a Regal Cinemas that is at least 30 minutes away. Plus, that location charges more for their matinees than my local theater does for Saturday night tickets. Pass.

Now a Soavi directed Dellamorte Dellamore sequel... that would be worth the trip.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.