Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tech today that will seem so outdated in movies viewed in the future

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tech today that will seem so outdated in movies viewed in the future

Old 08-17-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: Tech today that will seem so outdated in movies viewed in the future

Originally Posted by Groucho
Inception was deliberately made to be more "timeless". Look at the fashions that the characters wear, and the restraint in using obvious technology like laptops and cellphones. This is a big strength of the film, IMHO.
My point exactly. There was nothing "dated" in that film at all. Even the CGI in the film was used with restraint, and the film as a whole had an entirely "analog" feel to it.

Back to Scott Pilgrim: that movie was chock-a-block with pop culture zeal, but we're talking pop culture from @12-20 years ago. IIRC the most modern callbacks in the movie were Amazon.ca, the Seinfeld bass-line, and the "You've got mail!" drop. Welcome to 1996!
Old 08-17-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I can't think of a single "current" moment in Scott Pilgrim, beyond some of the music. The games, clothes, and everything else were already retro, so they'll still be "old" in the future too.
"Current" ideas of "retro" are still "current." Not that I could tell the difference, though, at least with anything referred to in this film. (I didn't get any of the references--it all just went over my head.) I was thinking more of the style of the film, the tone of it. THAT's very much "of the moment." And I don't think it's anything that will have any lasting influence. That more than any particular "reference" will date the film, in much the way so many counterculture films of the 1960s were dated in a very short time, e.g., the example I gave of EASY RIDER, but also things like the Monkees' HEAD.

I'm not KNOCKING Wright's style. I thought there was some genuine imagination at various points, just as I think there are imaginative moments in HEAD. But it was all quite superficial. I just didn't think the approach sustained itself or will be interesting enough to keep film buffs coming back to it in future decades the way, I think, they'll be coming back to Tarantino's films. I don't think that audiences outside the film's particular pop culture bubble will ever find it of lasting value. That's what I meant by "dated."

But I could be wrong. Time will tell. You never know what's going to be a cult film in five, ten, twenty years. Who in the 1960s watching PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE would ever have thought that it would be HUGE in 20 years? Or who, in 1946 watching IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, ever imagined the revival it would have 26 years later?

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 08-17-10 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just the watch the movie "The Girl next door" last night. I was surprised to see the movie they made at the end was put on an VHS Video Tape.

It also looked like all the copies of the movie that were sent out were on VHS Tapes.

The movie was released in 2004 (I thought it was more like 2006-2007 to me, my how time flies), so VHS still around, but it was on it's death bed.

VHS - RIP