Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tech today that will seem so outdated in movies viewed in the future

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tech today that will seem so outdated in movies viewed in the future

Old 08-16-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Tech today that will seem so outdated in movies viewed in the future

Hadn't thought of the websites angle. I think even today, hearing someone logging into AOL ("youv'e got mail") feels outdated since pretty much noone uses it anymore. Myspace seems to have become the redheaded step-child of social sites so even movies a year or so old will stand out when someone uses it.

Google seems to be thrown around a lot in today's shows/movies. I could see it standing out if something more popular comes out.
Old 08-16-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Toasters
Old 08-16-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Do people really have a problem with "Present day" movies taking place around the time they were created? Like, does it REALLY take you out of the movie? Could you try repeating to yourself "It's just a movie, I should really just relax"?

It's certainly fun to talk about dated technology we see in older movies, but I get the feeling that some of you are letting this get in the way of you enjoying movies.
Old 08-16-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brent L
Not exactly what you're asking for, but I already cringe when I hear people mention things like Twitter and MySpace in movies. I just know that in just a few short years it will likely already be outdated.

What is MySpace?
Old 08-16-10, 12:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by pjflyer
What is MySpace?
Ask your grandmother.
Old 08-16-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 218 Posts

I have a feeling SCOTT PILGRIM will look really dated in a year or two, not so much for the technology but for all of its popcult references and visual quirks. People will be asking themselves why they thought it was so "hip" and "cool" when it came out. It's such a film "of the moment" that it can't have much in the way of staying power.

EASY RIDER came out when I was in my junior year of high school and we all thought it was so "deep" and "heavy." When they showed it in the campus auditorium at my college a couple of years later, everybody laughed at it.

I wonder how INCEPTION will be perceived in a couple of years.
Old 08-16-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Matrix and Terminator films are going to look pretty dated within the next hundred years, if machines don't make good on their promise of taking over the world.
Old 08-16-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts

Remember the "Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD" discussion in Tropic Thunder? That debate was dated months before the movie came out...
Old 08-16-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add videogame consoles and iPods to the list. Basically, any product that has new iterations come out regularly.

Last edited by Yavin; 08-16-10 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-16-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Yavin
Add videogame consoles and iPods to the list. Basically, any product that has new iterations come out regularly.
They can't even get games right now most of the time. The sound effects are wrong, or the controller motions don't fit the game at all, or the hardware itself doesn't match the game.

Reign Over Me was a notable exception, as it used Shadow of the Colossus correctly.
Old 08-16-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I have a feeling SCOTT PILGRIM will look really dated in a year or two, not so much for the technology but for all of its popcult references and visual quirks. People will be asking themselves why they thought it was so "hip" and "cool" when it came out. It's such a film "of the moment" that it can't have much in the way of staying power.
I can't think of a single "current" moment in Scott Pilgrim, beyond some of the music. The games, clothes, and everything else were already retro, so they'll still be "old" in the future too.
Old 08-16-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven
I can't think of a single "current" moment in Scott Pilgrim, beyond some of the music. The games, clothes, and everything else were already retro, so they'll still be "old" in the future too.
don't worry i doubt he's even seen the movie.
Old 08-16-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
The Matrix and Terminator films are going to look pretty dated within the next hundred years, if machines don't make good on their promise of taking over the world.
Predicting the future is always a chancy business. Just look at the books/movies 1984 and 2001: A Space Odyssey. Seen any HAL computers or space ships capable of traveling to Jupiter lately? The one that saddens me is the Pan American logo on the ship that travels to the space station (I grew up with Pan Am and flew that airline many times). Kubrick guessed wrong on that one.
Old 08-16-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Exactly how old are you again?
I wonder how INCEPTION will be perceived in a couple of years.
What about the invented technology in INCEPTION screamed 2010?
Old 08-16-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What I thought was cool in the Tron Legacy trailer was how they used old style green and black computer monitors, but did it in such a way that it looks like it was futuristic.....am I explaining myself clearly here? Not sure if I am.
Old 08-16-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 661 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
Predicting the future is always a chancy business. Just look at the books/movies 1984 and 2001: A Space Odyssey.
The title of 1984 wasn't meant as a prediction, but an allegory (Orwell wrote the book in 1948).

Now, 2001, that's just a wrong date. Although considering we had reached the moon in 1966 with an unmanned landing, and was on the way to a manned landing in 1969, it was probably hard to imagine in 1968 how stagnant the space exploration program would become over the next 23 years.

The one that saddens me is the Pan American logo on the ship that travels to the space station (I grew up with Pan Am and flew that airline many times). Kubrick guessed wrong on that one.
So many of the companies featured in the move Blade Runner later failed that it's been dubbed "the Blade Runner curse"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_R...e_Runner_curse
Old 08-16-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andy434343
What I thought was cool in the Tron Legacy trailer was how they used old style green and black computer monitors, but did it in such a way that it looks like it was futuristic.....am I explaining myself clearly here? Not sure if I am.
I think you're referring to this:

Which is meant as an homage to this:

The Tron Legacy version does have a bit more retro chic to it.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=15710
http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/29/m...t-friday-tron/
Old 08-16-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know a favorite of Otterville that might look outdated. Tasers/stun guns. I could see them getting much smaller in 10-20 years, making the ones used today seem huge.
Old 08-16-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by resinrats
I know a favorite of Otterville that might look outdated. Tasers/stun guns. I could see them getting much smaller in 10-20 years, making the ones used today seem huge.
That reminds me of this scene from Men at Work (starts 4:40 in):

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/58GhZmKLVGo?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/58GhZmKLVGo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58GhZmKLVGo
Old 08-16-10, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Now, 2001, that's just a wrong date. Although considering we had reached the moon in 1966 with an unmanned landing, and was on the way to a manned landing in 1969, it was probably hard to imagine in 1968 how stagnant the space exploration program would become over the next 23 years.
However, aside from the title, the year 2001 is never mentioned even once in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey. (The only specific year mentioned at all in the film is 1992 as the year HAL was built.)

As to why the year 2001 is even in the title instead of just calling the film simply "A Space Odyssey"? I personally think it was a thematic point Kubrick wanted to make because 2001 was the "real" first year of the then still-upcoming new Millennium, so thematically he saw it as the beginning of the next Age of Mankind.
Old 08-16-10, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
However, aside from the title, the year 2001 is never mentioned even once in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey. (The only specific year mentioned at all in the film is 1992 as the year HAL was built.)

As to why the year 2001 is even in the title instead of just calling the film simply "A Space Odyssey"? I personally think it was a thematic point Kubrick wanted to make because 2001 was the "real" first year of the then still-upcoming new Millennium, so thematically he saw it as the beginning of the next Age of Mankind.
Or it could have been Clarke's idea, as the novel was developed at the same time as the film. Of course he went on to write more novels in the Odyssey series with future years in the titles.
Old 08-16-10, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I personally think it was a thematic point Kubrick wanted to make because 2001 was the "real" first year of the then still-upcoming new Millennium, so thematically he saw it as the beginning of the next Age of Mankind.
Why would an arbitrary milestone based on an arbitrary dating system mark the next Age of Mankind?
Old 08-17-10, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think 2001 just sounds cooler than 2000 or 1997 or 2052.
Old 08-17-10, 07:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
What about the invented technology in INCEPTION screamed 2010?
Inception was deliberately made to be more "timeless". Look at the fashions that the characters wear, and the restraint in using obvious technology like laptops and cellphones. This is a big strength of the film, IMHO.
Old 08-17-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Inception was deliberately made to be more "timeless". Look at the fashions that the characters wear, and the restraint in using obvious technology like laptops and cellphones. This is a big strength of the film, IMHO.
I was thinking that when I was watching it.
The guns were clearly new models but that device was fairly plain looking. Compare that to the device in Strange Days. Admittingly the SQUID and how it works in Strange Days is more important to the progression to the story.
No one really used computers or mobiles and the cars and van were models that were kinda here and being used for the last few decades.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.