Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (8/13-8/15): Testosterone fever edition

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office (8/13-8/15): Testosterone fever edition

Old 08-18-10, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (8/13-8/15): Testosterone fever edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Nothing interesting about that, it simply wasn't very good. The first one moved at a very quick clip and was highly entertaining, the sequel felt more cartoonish and sluggish.
Right, I thought IM2 sucked turds. It's hard to believe the same team made it. But coming into the summer, I wouldn't have predicted that.
Old 08-18-10, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in my 20s and female. I want to see The Expendables and Eat Pray Love. I did see Scott yesterday and didn't care for it. I play video games but the movie was not something I need to revisit. I did like the gay roommate played by Kiern Culkin. I have not read the book but love Julia Roberts, she is one of my favorvite actresses.
Old 08-18-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bee_01
I find it interesting that Iron Man 2 isn't going to catch the first one (domestically at least).
in terms of worldwide numbers, IM2 did earn more with $621 million vs the original's $585 million. It could have played in more markets.
Old 08-18-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
in terms of worldwide numbers, IM2 did earn more with $621 million vs the original's $585 million. It could have played in more markets.
Adjusted for inflation, the original took in around $627 million. The two movies basically did the same business... which is good business, don't get me wrong, but the expectations were that the sequel would significantly expand upon the original's business... in other words what POTC: Dead Man's Chest did in relation to POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl, or what the second Twilight film did in relation to the first.
Old 08-18-10, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eve Brown
I am in my 20s and female. I want to see The Expendables and Eat Pray Love. I did see Scott yesterday and didn't care for it. I play video games but the movie was not something I need to revisit. I did like the gay roommate played by Kiern Culkin. I have not read the book but love Julia Roberts, she is one of my favorite actresses.
too bad she's not all that great of one. Burstyn was robbed of that Oscar. Not to say Sly's an amazing actor, he's a good actor when he "needs" to be but....he's a lot more entertaining than Roberts. Julia Roberts, I mean. Not Eric Roberts.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 08-18-10 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eve Brown
I am in my 20s and female.
pics?
Old 08-18-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Adjusted for inflation, the original took in around $627 million. The two movies basically did the same business... which is good business, don't get me wrong, but the expectations were that the sequel would significantly expand upon the original's business... in other words what POTC: Dead Man's Chest did in relation to POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl, or what the second Twilight film did in relation to the first.
Yeah, I've been wondering why it didn't expand the audience like other franchises have. I guess one reason is it simply maximized it's audience to begin with, and people who still haven't seen either of them have no interest in it. That's one reason why I don't see an Avengers movie being any bigger than Iron Man (so they'd better keep that budget in check), Marvel just can't have the appeal a Batman or Spider-Man can. Another reason is the film itself looked exactly like more of the first, which was fine as most liked it... but it seems like The Dark Knight or POTC, some of those bigger sequels really differentiated themselves from the previous installments, took the characters to new places, etc.
Old 08-19-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
Yeah, I've been wondering why it didn't expand the audience like other franchises have. I guess one reason is it simply maximized it's audience to begin with, and people who still haven't seen either of them have no interest in it. That's one reason why I don't see an Avengers movie being any bigger than Iron Man (so they'd better keep that budget in check), Marvel just can't have the appeal a Batman or Spider-Man can. Another reason is the film itself looked exactly like more of the first, which was fine as most liked it... but it seems like The Dark Knight or POTC, some of those bigger sequels really differentiated themselves from the previous installments, took the characters to new places, etc.
I'm not that up on comic book stuff but I believe that "Spider-Man" is a Marvel character. Perhaps you meant to say "Superman", a DC character.