Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (8/13-8/15): Testosterone fever edition

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office (8/13-8/15): Testosterone fever edition

Old 08-15-10, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (8/13-8/15): Testosterone fever edition

Originally Posted by resinrats
Although at least around here, unless it is a opening night of a Star Wars movie, theaters are NEVER 70% or more full opening weekend. It looks like a lot of people but there there are always seats availible on the sides/front/between people. For free movie screenings, it is often 100% full. Never doubt people to try to see something for free. So 5 preview screenings probably are equal to two days of regular screenings, even more if the movie isn't a blockbuster.
Nah. Because how many of those greedy people who got in just because it was free were going to ever pay to see the movie?
Old 08-15-10, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Mopey != hipster

He's not really wearing any ironic tees at all that I can remember. He's wearing a Plumtree shirt...'sa really great band, nothing ironic about that. Rock Band bass icon shirt. He's a bassist who's an avid gamer. Nothing ironic about that. He wears a 4 1/2 shirt, referencing Franklin Richards from the Fantastic Four extended family. For a guy who devours comics, there's nothing ironic about that. Openly liking geeky stuff isn't hipsterdom.
OK.
Old 08-15-10, 01:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fist of doom
the pope of greenwich village
star 80
runaway train.
Old 08-15-10, 01:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
OK.
Erroneously dismissing good movies as hipster bait was my favorite activity of last summer.
Old 08-15-10, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

I guess it can be considered Hipster in the sense that it isn't Hipster but since people think it's Hipster it's ironic because it isn't?

Or more specifically, its being branded as hipster by people who haven't had to deal with actual groups of hipsters. I still await a George Romero movie replacing zombies with hipsters.

Really though, it was just a videogame movie with a love of Zelda that has slightly "alternative" characters in it. It's a pretty different group than the rich pretending to be poor and gay (NO HOMO!) while sporting ridiculous moustaches and nascar shirts since its something they'd never like and making fun of things they consider lame while riding their fixed gear bicycles.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-15-10 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-15-10, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The one thing that could be hipster and Scott Pilgrim related would be dismissing the movie because they read it when it was a tiny independent comic book and nobody had heard of it. But that still makes the movie non-hipster, because it's the most mainstream-y part of what was once underground.
Old 08-15-10, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based upon what I've read in this thread, I'm not going to offer box office analysis, but instead ask a simple question: have you people ever even encountered a hipster in real life?
Old 08-15-10, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like Michael Cera but has he starred in any movie that was a box office hit? I know he was in Juno but that was more of an Ellen Page vehicle. He just seems to star in a lot of movies that never make any money.
Old 08-15-10, 06:06 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Superbad was number 1 when it came out, overall that film made $169,871,719
Old 08-15-10, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you saw this girl walking around, would you not think hipster?

or how about these guys?

Last edited by RyoHazuki; 08-15-10 at 06:32 AM.
Old 08-15-10, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Depends.. is there PBR in those cups?
Old 08-15-10, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
OK.
Uh, yeah...hysterical?

If he were wearing a Hello Kitty shirt, something with Menudo on it, or whatever, then I'd give you that. In what way is it ironic to wear a T-shirt for something you sincerely like? Isn't that kind of the polar opposite of 'ironic'?

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's a pretty different group than the rich pretending to be poor and gay (NO HOMO!) while sporting ridiculous moustaches and nascar shirts since its something they'd never like and making fun of things they consider lame while riding their fixed gear bicycles.
Exactly. Seriously, guys, head over to http://www.latfh.com/ . Those are hipsters. Attention whoredom, an inescapably smug sense of superiority, being as conformingly non-conformist with the way they dress and act as possible...I don't get that impression from anyone in Scott Pilgrim.

Ramona absolutely has a too-cool-for-the-room vibe, and there's the colored hair too obviously, but...I don't know. Knives accuses her of being a hipster, but I don't really get that sense from her. She's such a blank slate that you can read whatever you want into Ramona, though.
Old 08-15-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
or how about these guys?

This photo is technically cheating, because I'd say the primary reason it looks like a whole group of hipsters is that two of the girls have their hair colored, but within the context of the movie one of them only did it to try and imitate the other as part of a weird revenge. Imagine that Ellen Wong's hair is black -- it is in the rest of the movie -- and the whole picture seems much more normal.
Old 08-15-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

Doesn't look all that different from

Old 08-15-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-15-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Based upon what I've read in this thread, I'm not going to offer box office analysis, but instead ask a simple question: have you people ever even encountered a hipster in real life?
Yes. I like to make them cry by saying, "Sure, And You Will Know Us by the Trail of the Dead are a good band, but they haven't produced an album as good as Bat out of Hell II."
Old 08-15-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
I like Michael Cera but has he starred in any movie that was a box office hit? I know he was in Juno but that was more of an Ellen Page vehicle. He just seems to star in a lot of movies that never make any money.
It can't be because of his huge range as an actor.

Old 08-15-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did like the Arrest Development reunion between George-Michael and Ann.
Old 08-15-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Five years ago Scott Pilgrim would have been the most emo movie ever!
Old 08-15-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
I did like the Arrest Development reunion between George-Michael and Ann.
Her?
Old 08-15-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't want to sit through a movie where we are supposed to root for Michael Cera to defeat Brandon Routh, Chris Evans and Jason Schwartzmann -- all far more engaging and likeable actors than Cera. It's like rooting for the bad guy.
Old 08-15-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would it be bad to put this thread back on topic?

'Expendables' seizes No. 1 spot with $35M debut
By DAVID GERMAIN

AP Movie Writer

Sylvester Stallone has proven that he's not quite expendable yet at the box office.

Stallone and his pumped-up pals lifted Lionsgate's 1980s-style action romp "The Expendables" to a No. 1 debut with $35 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

While the macho "Expendables" lured male audiences, Julia Roberts delivered a crowd-pleaser for women with Sony's "Eat Pray Love," which opened at No. 2 with $23.7 million.

The previous weekend's top movie, Sony's cop comedy "The Other Guys," slipped to third place with $18 million, raising its 10-day total to $70.5 million. The Warner Bros. blockbuster "Inception" was fourth with $11.4 million, lifting its total to $248.6 million.

Opening in fifth place with $10.5 million was Universal's graphic-novel adaptation "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World," starring Michael Cera as a slacker caught up in duels to the death with his new girlfriend's seven evil ex-boyfriends.

"The Expendables" continued a box-office uptick for Stallone, who has had a career resurgence in recent years revisiting his past with fresh sequels to his "Rocky" and "Rambo" franchises.

The movie features such action stars as Jet Li and Jason Statham - along with cameos from Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger - in a tale of mercenaries aiming to overthrow a dictator.

It's a throwback to the brawn and body counts of 1980s and '90s action, a genre whose top three stars were Stallone, Willis and Schwarzenegger. The cast also includes such actors with 1980s roots as Mickey Rourke, Dolph Lundgren and Roberts' brother, Eric Roberts, as well as wrestler Steve Austin, ultimate fighter Randy Couture and former NFL player Terry Crews.

"By combining all that star power, they really had a strong debut," said Paul Dergarabedian, box-office analyst for Hollywood.com. "Maybe star power doesn't work with just one star, but when you throw in a dozen, it really looked fun. In the action world, these guys are big names."

Adapted from Elizabeth Gilbert's best-selling memoir, "Eat Pray Love" stars Julia Roberts as a woman traveling the world in search of enlightenment after her divorce.

Lionsgate deliberately chose this weekend to open "The Expendables" since it would be aiming for a different audience than "Eat Pray Love."

"We figured anybody going to see 'Eat Pray Love' would not want to see 'Expendables,' and vice versa," said David Spitz, head of distribution at Lionsgate.

Still, the hunky-men factor brought in a solid female crowd for "The Expendables," whose audience was 39 percent women, a bigger ratio than many male-driven action flicks.

Women made up 72 percent of the audience for "Eat Pray Love." Older women dominated the crowds, with 56 percent of the audience over 35.

"We definitely had the women and they definitely had the men," Rory Bruer, head of distribution at Sony, said of the split between "Eat Pray Love" and "The Expendables."

Sony is counting on a long shelf life for "Eat Pray Love" because of its appeal to women, who are less likely than males to rush out to see a movie over opening weekend.

"This is the type of picture that really will hang in there. I would be very surprised if the picture doesn't play right into the fall," Bruer said.

The year's biggest hit, "Toy Story 3," took in $2.2 million over the weekend to climb to $400.8 million domestically. The blockbuster from Disney's Pixar Animation became the 11th movie to top $400 million and only the second animated film to hit that mark, after "Shrek 2" at $436.7 million.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "The Expendables," $35 million.

2. "Eat Pray Love," $23.7 million.

3. "The Other Guys," $18 million.

4. "Inception," $11.4 million.

5. "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World," $10.5 million.

6. "Despicable Me," $6.8 million.

7. "Step Up 3D," $6.6 million.

8. "Salt," $6.4 million.

9. "Dinner for Schmucks," $6.3 million.

10. "Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore," $4.1 million.
Old 08-15-10, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow 5th place finish for Scott Pilgrim. That's pretty bad. Cera might need a new career soon.
Old 08-15-10, 01:32 PM

Shame. Scott Pilgrim was amazing, and Edgar Wright is the single brightest voice in the newer generation of Directors.

It deserves every single penny made by Inception.
Old 08-15-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Yes. I like to make them cry by saying, "Sure, And You Will Know Us by the Trail of the Dead are a good band, but they haven't produced an album as good as Bat out of Hell II."
You could also tell them Lady Gaga's music is much better then their hippy band's. Guaranteed sobbing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.