Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Step Up 3D" (Chu) - 08/06/10 - Reviews & Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: So...
... I saw it and I loved it.
23.08%
... I saw it and I liked it.
30.77%
... I saw it and I hated it.
0%
... I plan on seeing it one day (DVD/BD/TV).
7.69%
... I have not seen it and would rather watch "Dance With Me" a trillion times.
34.62%
... I'll only see it if twikoff likes it.
3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

"Step Up 3D" (Chu) - 08/06/10 - Reviews & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: "Step Up 3D" (Chu) - 08/06/10 - Reviews & Discussion

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Can you find a clip of that Asian girl (the one that looks like she's out of Doomsday) that does the hand dance for the Samurai team? I don't even know her name. But she was awesome as well..
Yeah, she was badass. She was in the first rival team, right? Was she also the chick with the cornrows in the House of Samurai during the final battle? Cos that chick was super talented and smokin' hot.

EDIT: This'll probably get taken down but here's a camvid of the finale.

<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-E5_Z_KDdDs?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-E5_Z_KDdDs?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>

^ The woman I'm talking about slides towards the camera at the 3:10 mark. It's a crappy video but I'm sure you'll remember what she looks like.

EDIT #2: Here's the girl you're looking for (she appears at the 2:06 mark):

<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q8R1nohAtVE?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q8R1nohAtVE?fs=1&hl=en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>

I have now tried watching a Samsung and a Panasonic 3D tv in electronic stores. I made sure to watch at least 15 minutes to get a good impression. When I was done, my vision felt screwy and I felt a bit nausious....so I'm still not crazy about these 3DTVs...
It didn't mess with my vision or give me vertigo but, every so often, I could see the shuttering of the glasses (which is supposed to be imperceptible) during my Samsung 3DTV demo over at Best Buy a few months back. It looked like an annoying strobe. Didn't happen a lot but I noticed it two or three times and that worried me about the potential side-effects the active shutter method might have.

I'd rather have a 3DTV that uses passive polarized glasses (like in the theater) but the only ones like that are those really expensive laser TV's.
Old 08-13-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp

EDIT #2: Here's the girl you're looking for (she appears at the 2:06 mark):
Yeah, that's the one. When she does that head slide-to-smile, it gives me goosebumps. But she's no match for Madd Chadd. Madd Chadd could beat everyone.

Watching this movie reminded me of a cross between the first time I saw BLOODSPORT and Mortal Kombat fatalities for every character....I honestly would rather see this again instead of The Expendables and Scott Pilgrim...
Old 08-13-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that's the one. When she does that head slide-to-smile, it gives me goosebumps. But she's no match for Madd Chadd. Madd Chadd could beat everyone.
Madd Chadd is insanely awesome. But I'd love to see him dance in tandem with her as he did with Adam Sevani. And it's not just cos she's hot as hell. The woman has some serious dance skills.

Watching this movie reminded me of a cross between the first time I saw BLOODSPORT and Mortal Kombat fatalities for every character....I honestly would rather see this again instead of The Expendables
It saddens me that I agree 100% with the last part of this statement. Only because I was really anticipating The Expendables and Step Up 3D is a movie I hadn't intended on seeing.

The movie also reminded me a lot of The Warriors cos of the different Houses and their particular uniforms.
Old 08-13-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When i first heard this was going to be in 3D, i expected something incredibly stupid and mock worthy. Reading some reviews on this thread, has made me reevaluate my prejudice and preconceived notions. I guess the point of this movie, is seeing some great dancing and having some fun and it sounds like it delivers this in spades. What more can you ask of a movie.
Old 08-13-10, 03:04 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

It was good and I'm glad I saw it.
Old 08-14-10, 12:41 PM

Madd Chadd is insanely awesome. But I'd love to see him dance in tandem with her as he did with Adam Sevani. And it's not just cos she's hot as hell. The woman has some serious dance skills.
You can see more of both Madd Chadd and Pandora (together) in Jon Chu's web series here: hulu.com/the-lxd

Tons of dancers from SU3 in the various episodes.
Old 08-15-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FCD10
You can see more of both Madd Chadd and Pandora (together) in Jon Chu's web series here: hulu.com/the-lxd

Tons of dancers from SU3 in the various episodes.
Thanks for that. I'll be sure to check those out. Hopefully the BD will be packed with tons of bonus dances.

EDIT:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/ka1YQkX-h1628RfGZwlAdQ"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/ka1YQkX-h1628RfGZwlAdQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-15-10 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-15-10, 09:42 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i went with my wife today to see this. i thought it was great. i wasn't expecting the 3D to be this well done. The only other 3d movie i have seen is Avatar, and this looked just as good. the robot guy was sick!
Old 08-21-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I'm another who really loved this movie. The plot was super predictable and standard, but I didn't even really mind that either. It sort of added to the charm of the movie. Also, it helps that Moose is a pretty likable characters. I enjoyed the other 2 step up movies, but this one blew them both away. Much better dance sequences, and it looked so much better too. The first 2 seemed more like straight to dvd movies, but this looked like a proper movie -- which I guess is due to being shot on new 3d cameras.

This will probably be out of theaters in a week or two, but I think I may go see it again.
Old 08-26-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dragged some friends to see this for my second time, specifically the theater near my house that is playing in 4K drops it down to one showing starting tomorrow.

While there was a noticeable sound difference between the 4K presentation and that of the Dolby Digital 3D presentation that also contained Dolby Digital 7.1 (there was better bass and separation in that mix), I will say the 4K presentation was top notch. It was not the best auditorium to see it in as it was one of the theater's smaller auditoriums, but a beautiful presentation nonetheless. My friends also seemed to enjoy it despite either hating the previous entries or never seeing them, however they all agreed it was the best 3D they've seen yet.

It's a shame this was a box office disappointment. Easily one of my favorite movies of the summer behind Scott Pilgrim and Inception.
Old 08-26-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It's a shame this was a box office disappointment. Easily one of my favorite movies of the summer behind Scott Pilgrim and Inception.
Really? I was hoping it would have done solid numbers so they'd make another one.

I like LXD but Chu isn't the best writer and for some reason I feel the series calls for a steampunk setting rather than a modern day setting.
Old 08-27-10, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Really? I was hoping it would have done solid numbers so they'd make another one.
The film currently sits at $38 million, which is $20 million less than Step Up 2 and almost $30 million less than the original. At the end of the day, the film isn't going to gross more than $45 million domestically and will rank as the least grossing entry of the franchise (despite it being the best).

Oh yeah, it also has the biggest budget of the three ($30 million). That doesn't help the situation at all either.
Old 08-27-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn. That really sucks cos, as you said, this is the best in the series. It's a huge comeback from the letdown that was the second movie. I didn't expect it to set the box office on fire but did expect it to do well.
Old 08-27-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn. That really sucks cos, as you said, this is the best in the series. It's a huge comeback from the letdown that was the second movie. I didn't expect it to set the box office on fire but did expect it to do well.

I think the financial failure of STEP UP 3D is all about timing. It should have come out before DANCE FLICK. Now that these movies were spoofed, it got into the subconscious of people and caused people to think, "enough is enough."

Old 08-27-10, 03:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

timing might have been a problem, but it was a wise decision on the filmmakers part to actually use the 3D cameras that were created and used for 'Avatar' - the 3D effects were highly beneficial and wonderfully integrated. It's a shame that this movie didn't do better at the box office, you'd think with the whole 'reality dance craze contests' on tv, those folk would likewise support a 'dance' movie

Last edited by Giles; 08-27-10 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-27-10, 03:19 PM

I dragged some friends to see this for my second time, specifically the theater near my house that is playing in 4K drops it down to one showing starting tomorrow.

While there was a noticeable sound difference between the 4K presentation and that of the Dolby Digital 3D presentation that also contained Dolby Digital 7.1 (there was better bass and separation in that mix), I will say the 4K presentation was top notch. It was not the best auditorium to see it in as it was one of the theater's smaller auditoriums, but a beautiful presentation nonetheless. My friends also seemed to enjoy it despite either hating the previous entries or never seeing them, however they all agreed it was the best 3D they've seen yet.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that I read that '3D' can't actually be replicated in full 4K resolution, but maxed out at 2K.
Old 08-27-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the financial failure of STEP UP 3D is all about timing. It should have come out before DANCE FLICK. Now that these movies were spoofed, it got into the subconscious of people and caused people to think, "enough is enough."
I really doubt that had anything to do with it, since Dance Flick itself didn't exactly light up the box office either. With So You Think You Can Dance reaching mass saturation by (mistakenly) having a summer/fall/summer season run, I think people were just sick of dancing (in this demographic)...and they didn't have to pay to see it. I'm sure the film will find it's audience on disc...
Old 08-28-10, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I guess, since Step Up 3D isn't doing well at the box office, we'll have no followup to this:

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/N1yYGePGBwFqCakuQ0LmjA"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/N1yYGePGBwFqCakuQ0LmjA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Shame, really. It was a lot of fun to watch and I hate that it just ended on a cliffhanger.
Old 08-28-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that I read that '3D' can't actually be replicated in full 4K resolution, but maxed out at 2K.
I was under the impression that Sony's 4K projection system has it setup for RealD's 3D dual lens adapter system being able to shoot both the left and right images out at the same time. If both sets of images are 2K or 4K, that I don't know. However, compared to the Dolby Digital Cinema 3D set-up I saw it in the first time, there was a noticeable difference in both brightness and clarity.

I was under the impression that Chu had already shot three seasons worth of LXD.
Old 08-28-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was under the impression that Chu had already shot three seasons worth of LXD.
I hope you're right. The writing may be a bit cheesey and I think a modern day setting is all wrong for the story and tone but I love all the great dancing.
Old 08-29-10, 12:46 AM

I thought STEP UP 3D was the best Step Up and I'm wishing for Step Up 4 in 3D!
Old 08-29-10, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by thelonelyisland
I thought STEP UP 3D was the best Step Up and I'm wishing for Step Up 4 in 3D!
You're not alone but I don't think it's gonna happen.
Old 10-27-10, 05:12 PM

You're not alone but I don't think it's gonna happen.
Our wishes are granted!!!! Step Up 4Ever in 3D is coming!! http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=71211

I don't care what people say. I hope Mr. Chu is coming back to the director's chair. He knows how to make an entertaining movie.
Old 10-27-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by moviewizguy
Our wishes are granted!!!! Step Up 4Ever in 3D is coming!! http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=71211

I don't care what people say. I hope Mr. Chu is coming back to the director's chair. He knows how to make an entertaining movie.
Old 10-27-10, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by moviewizguy

as well as shooting a film in 3D to maximum effect - 'Step Up 3D' still remains to be the best 'looking' 3D movie of 2010.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.