DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   127 Hours (Boyle, 2010) — James Franco as mountain climber in accident drama (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/577262-127-hours-boyle-2010-%97-james-franco-mountain-climber-accident-drama.html)

The Bus 07-30-10 04:07 PM

127 Hours (Boyle, 2010) — James Franco as mountain climber in accident drama

127 Hours is the true story of mountain climber Aron Ralston's (James Franco) remarkable adventure to save himself after a fallen boulder crashes on his arm and traps him in an isolated canyon in Utah. Over the next five days Ralston examines his life and survives the elements to finally discover he has the courage and the wherewithal to extricate himself by any means necessary, scale a 65 foot wall and hike over eight miles before he is finally rescued.

<a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1542344/">IMDB</a>

<hr>

Sounds... interesting. I'm in for anything Boyle. Dated for early November.

lopper 07-30-10 04:43 PM

Re: 127 Hours (Boyle, 2010) — James Franco as mountain climber in accident drama

I'm in for this.

Love Boyle, don't hate Franco, and I think I'm familiar with this story, which could be turned into a pretty interesting flick.

Spoiler:
Doesn't the guy end up cutting off his own arm?

Jesus H. Christ...reading his wiki entry makes me woozy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Ralston

gryffinmaster 07-30-10 04:49 PM

Re: 127 Hours (Boyle, 2010) — James Franco as mountain climber in accident drama

Originally Posted by lopper (Post 10295896)
I'm in for this.

Love Boyle, don't hate Franco, and I think I'm familiar with this story, which could be turned into a pretty interesting flick.

Spoiler:
Doesn't the guy end up cutting off his own arm?

Wikipedia says ...

Spoiler:
Aron Lee Ralston (born October 27, 1975) is an American mountain climber who became famous in May 2003 when he was forced to amputate his lower right arm with a dull knife in order to free himself after his arm became trapped by a boulder when he was mountaineering in Utah.

The rest of the Wikipedia article actually details how he did it, step for step. :whofart:

Supermallet 07-30-10 05:29 PM

Boyle's been on a downturn lately. Sunshine was derivative and Slumdog was pandering. Hopefully this brings him back up to snuff.

islandclaws 07-30-10 07:11 PM

Franco certainly looks the part when he's got long hair. I'd be up for this as long as the trailer looks good.

eXcentris 07-30-10 08:19 PM

This film needs Mormon zombies.

jfoobar 07-30-10 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10296103)
Franco certainly looks the part when he's got long hair. I'd be up for this as long as the trailer looks good.

Yup. I expect Franco to give a disarming performance.

Supermallet 07-30-10 11:03 PM

:rimshot:

Yavin 07-30-10 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster (Post 10295904)
Wikipedia says ...

Spoiler:
Aron Lee Ralston (born October 27, 1975) is an American mountain climber who became famous in May 2003 when he was forced to amputate his lower right arm with a dull knife in order to free himself after his arm became trapped by a boulder when he was mountaineering in Utah.

The rest of the Wikipedia article actually details how he did it, step for step. :whofart:

That wiki article is really specific. I especially like this part:

While hiking out, he encountered a family of three on vacation from the Netherlands who gave him water and two Oreos.
... If I encountered someone who just had just gone through an experience like that, I'd give them the whole freakin' pack of Oreos!

Osiris3657 07-31-10 01:15 AM

The book is quite excellent, so I'll give this a chance

Dr Mabuse 07-31-10 06:51 AM

Danny Boyle made two interesting films - 'Trainspotting' and '28 Days Later'.

Everything else has been lousy.

I avoid movies with his name attached now.

Eric D. 08-24-10 08:31 PM

Trailer

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/f...ight/127hours/

Is it just me, or does Franco come off as someone with major ADD in this? Plus, it looks kind of funny and I doubt that's the intent of this film.

Solid Snake 08-24-10 08:39 PM

I think it's just type of personality of the character he's playing. I'm interested in this thing here now....

Sessa17 08-24-10 08:44 PM

Looks extremely boring & filmed & edited like its some kind of energy drink commercial. Boyle has made 2 films I love (Trainspotting & the Beach), & two I like a lot (A Life Less Ordinary & Sunshine), but I've found everything else he has done to be pretty overrated including 28 Days Later.

JumpCutz 08-24-10 08:48 PM

There is apparently an entire hour of this movie with no dialogue...simply devoted to his struggle to survive.

Solid Snake 08-24-10 08:51 PM

well I hope it's not boring.

I dunno about most of you but I've enjoyed the films I've seen from Boyle, haven't seen The Beach yet though...

Eric D. 08-24-10 09:18 PM

I have no problem with a slow film if it's made well, but the more I watch this trailer, the more I don't like it. Franco's acting seems really off and his screams at the end were hilarious.

It's also not good that they're whoring out Boyle's whole filmography with actual clips in order to generate interest.

RichC2 09-13-10 11:21 AM

Early reviews of this movie have started to come out... they've been pretty fantastic with a lot of praise for Franco.

http://www.mrqe.com/movies/m100088769?s=1

Solid Snake 09-13-10 11:45 AM

I'd like to see James Franco in something I can care about his acting beyond Pineapple Express...none of his films really capture my attention, but I like him...seems like a cool guy. This one for sure has my attention...

MrSmearkase 10-08-10 04:05 PM

New trailer, and it looks fantastic!

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l0GycqTaXwQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l0GycqTaXwQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

OldBoy 10-08-10 10:01 PM

an old Dateline with Tom Brokaw taking Aron back to the exact spot of the incident. if you don't know the story, this video is a spoiler. powerful stuff.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5956900/

the scene where the two
Spoiler:
see Aron's actual blood that was spilled and stained the rock when he cut his own arm off is intense.

PopcornTreeCt 10-08-10 10:22 PM

I wouldn't call the trailer fantastic. It seems decent but now that the whole movie has been spoiled I'm less likely to see it.

Dash 10-09-10 03:00 AM

Im a huge Boyle fan so I cant wait to see this. After the Social Network this was my most anticipated movie of the year. It looks pretty interesting to me, and now that im living In Utah maybe I can go out and actually see where this happened.

What do people have against Danny Boyle. He is one of the only directors that I can think of whose films have been close to a different genera each time. and each of them are pretty good. (well 2/3 of each movie are excellent and the rest are ok... im talking about you sunshine and the beach)

The Bus 10-12-10 07:07 AM

Saw this last night in a packed house. Audience reaction seemed to be overwhelmingly positive.

I thought the movie was very good, but at times extremely uneven. Some of the techniques Boyle uses work very well, others don't. Franco's performance is well done, and the movie's pacing is great.

I do have to say, that no other movie I've seen in recent memory made me feel so incredibly fragile leaving the theater.

sauce07 10-12-10 08:00 AM

Do they bring up Phish at all? The real Aron Ralston is a huge fan and i've already noticed a few references in the trailer and clips put online.

Spoiler:
He's wearing a 2000 tour shirt and the song he sings when he pops out of the water is Sleeping Monkey

Just wondering