Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

127 Hours (Boyle, 2010) James Franco as mountain climber in accident drama

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

127 Hours (Boyle, 2010) James Franco as mountain climber in accident drama

Old 11-28-10, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: 127 Hours (Boyle, 2010) James Franco as mountain climber in accident drama

I saw the movie last night and it took me some thought to realize that it was a truly special movie. one that is more like a spiritual experience than a movie. it was life changing. to see experiences that strip you down to nothing, and you have to rebuild your life back together in your mind, that chewed up every emotion he had and spit it out. wasnt expecting to see something dig so deep into the soul ***** / *****
Old 12-03-10, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone not like how they're marketing the movie? It's basically just

Spoiler:
his "Morning Show" scene intercut with scenes of him falling and getting stuck. As I said earlier, I thought this scene worked great in the context of the film, having him go slowly insane throughout the course of his predicament. When that scene occurs, it's darkly funny, but also really scary at the same time.

In the context of a 30 second spot, none of this can really be conveyed. Great movie, but marketing not so hot so far...
Old 12-03-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just noticed 2 theaters playing it here in Miami
Old 12-03-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
I just noticed 2 theaters playing it here in Miami
It showed up at one theater here. It's about 40 minutes away, but I'll definitely be seeing it this weekend.
Old 12-03-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah got some friends together to watch it tonight!!!
Old 12-03-10, 03:20 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the interview with Aron where he goes back to the location and talks about his experience. For those who have seen the movie...
Spoiler:
do they show the part where he sticks the knife in his decaying thumb and hears the hiss of air/gas being released? His description of that in the interview made me shudder a bit. Oh, and the whole "nerve" thing. I assume that has to be in there, too...
Old 12-03-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No to the first thing, but yes to the second thing.
Old 12-03-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Based on a true life story, James Franco plays Aron Ralston, a happy-go-lucky young guy with an engineering background, who loves to go caverning and exploring of caves and crevices in the earth. Aron stumbles into a crack in the earth, and his right arm is trapped by a small-sized boulder (probably a bit larger than one of those stretchy exercise ball that can be used for core training, and it's a lot heavier than the exercise ball). The film basically goes through Aron's journey of staying alive, and what he does to finally extricate himself from the situation.

Danny Boyle keeps this film from feeling really depressing and mauldin with an assortment of visually interesting ways of exploring Aron's feelings and recollections of good times and regrets throughout his 127 hour ordeal. It's really good visual storytelling. James Franco is also up to the task of taking us through Aron's emotional journey and stressful physical demands of not only being trapped, but dealing with starvation and dehydration all the while running through all the simple things in life we take for granted in terms of being able to get to the basic human needs of food, water, and sleep.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.
Old 12-04-10, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
I watched the interview with Aron where he goes back to the location and talks about his experience. For those who have seen the movie...
Spoiler:
do they show the part where he sticks the knife in his decaying thumb and hears the hiss of air/gas being released? His description of that in the interview made me shudder a bit. Oh, and the whole "nerve" thing. I assume that has to be in there, too...
Saw it last night..... I thought it was great. To answer your question:

Spoiler:
No
Old 12-04-10, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really liked this movie. I'd much rather see Boyle get all the Hollywood love for this film instead of the overpraised Slumdog Millionaire.
Old 12-04-10, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone ever won an Oscar the year they were hosting?
Old 12-04-10, 10:25 PM

This movie is really good, but "something" is missing to me. I don't know what it is, but something's keeping it from being one of my favorites.
Old 12-05-10, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
This movie is really good, but "something" is missing to me. I don't know what it is, but something's keeping it from being one of my favorites.
An arm?
Old 12-05-10, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dan G View Post
An arm?
You win
Old 12-06-10, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Great movie. My second best of the year so far (after The Social Network). Franco has to at least get a nomination.

As for Boyle: I liked Shallow Grave, 28 Days Later, Sunshine (a little less) and Slumdog Millionaire (although I acknowledge it's a little overrated). I'm rather neutral on A Life Less Ordinary. I did not like Trainspotting or The Beach and I hated Millions like Roger Ebert hated North.
Old 12-09-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amazing film! It would be a shame if Franco doesn't win best actor.
Old 12-11-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great film...really good. When it finally gets to the part where he has to cut his arm off it's pretty gnarly. I thought this was going to be good since Danny Boyle was attached and was pleasantly surprised it surpassed the book. Frankly I thought the movie was better than the book overall because half of it talked about his past hikes and adventures, family, growing up and so on...stuff I didn't care to read about haha.
Old 12-12-10, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sheff View Post
Saw this last night. Great, great movie, but I don't think I can ever watch it again.

It wasn't the gore - could stomach that just fine. But I felt uncomfortable the entire length of the movie. I don't think any film has ever come close to causing that sort of reaction for me.
Agreed.

As soon as the film started the viewer is sent hurtling toward the inevitability of the situation. I felt apprehensive and uncomfortable throughout the runtime. When he fully realizes his situation I was squirming and feeling his panic. Very powerful filmmaking.
Old 12-17-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got a chance to see this yesterday. I give it 3 1/2 stars out of 4.

For some reason while watching it I felt there was something missing. I felt it could have benefited from more back story, maybe. Looking back, I was wrong. I feel Danny Boyle did exactly what needed to be done to make this film great. I guess it's because the character of Aron Ralston really isn't that interesting. He's just like any of us, he just got put into a shit situation and did something amazing. So putting a lot of backstory on the guy could have ruined the movie.

Spoiler:
The did try to get into how he's a loner. How he got dumped by some girl and was told he'd be alone forever. There was the one scene where he convinced himself it was all his fault. This felt forced to me. Almost like they wanted to make Aron more interesting then he actually was.

And the 3rd Act:

Spoiler:
From the arm scene to him getting rescued was brilliant. It put the whole movie together and you can really understand how Ralston went from the spot he was in to cutting off his arm to get out.

I like James Franco. If you don't, don't see this. He's the entire movie. While I'm not surprised he did a good job, I really didn't think he'd be able to carry a movie like this. I feel that he will get plenty of nominations for this movie (might even win, depending on how much of a boner the Academy has for Jesse Eisenberg).

Right now, I'd put this in my top 5 for the year but I have yet to see Black Swan, The Fighter and True Grit.

OT, but what's the consensus on Kate Mara? Hot or not? I say hot. Very much so. A friend of mine (female) says she's not hot at all.

Last edited by Goat3001; 12-17-10 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-17-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^hot. This interview here made me fall in love with her (just as a tad warning, it is a little akward at times, and i still don't know if she was on something or if it was an act)
Old 12-17-10, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 12-19-10, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I saw this last night from a DVD Screener my co-worker got for being a member of the IATSE Union (TV Production Union)

Great movie. Loved how Boyle made a compelling 90 minute movie with really only 3 main actors. James Franco was dynamic and you absolutely felt the tension and clausterphobia of Aron Ralston's ordeal. The scene where he cuts off his arm was gruesome yet really compelling.

I don't think this movie has alot of replay value, but it's definitely a very good watch just to see Ralston's story.
Old 12-19-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I avoided this film for awhile, because although I loved Slumdog, it's an overwhelmingly emotional movie, and while that fit the material, I worried that with so many common cast and crew that Boyle wouldn't be able to shake that approach. A story like this should be somewhat harrowing tale of survival, not a cheesy peon to the human spirit or something (at least, in my opinion). I was relieved to see that the film is much darker and less sentimental than Slumdog, and I think Franco gives the year's third-best performance, behind Eisenberg, and Bridges in True Grit (well, maybe Franco ranks second...it's a toss-up).

Clemence Poesy is also one of the most beautiful actresses working today.
Old 01-06-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
OT, but what's the consensus on Kate Mara? Hot or not? I say hot. Very much so. A friend of mine (female) says she's not hot at all.
Hot, hot hot! And since when do women know when other women are hot?

I just saw the movie a second time. I still think the arm cutting scene is overhyped. I refuse to believe anyone would faint from watching that.
Old 01-06-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, crap. He did it here too?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.