Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel regains movie rights to Punisher - Plans to do another reboot

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 11:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comic Con: Marvel Planning Yet Another Punisher Reboot
By CB: 2010-07-24 20:38:19

Share |
Comic Con: Marvel Planning Yet Another Punisher Reboot Hollywood
has tried and failed to make a decent movie out of Marvel’s Punisher comics three times now. You’d think they’d be ready to cry uncle, but today at Marvel’s Comic Con panel, company head Kevin Feige revealed that they’re doing it again.

Feige says that the character is under the welcoming roof of Marvel Studios now and they want to take their own shot at it. Specifically he said he’s hoping for a “Frank Castle” movie shortly, using the real name for Punisher’s vigilante character. Does that suggest they’ll do something more focused on the personal life of Castle? Something more rooted in reality without all the weird black outfits and crazed lust for vengeance? Personally I don’t see the point. They’ve tried everything there is to try with this character, the most recent try was Punisher: War Zone back in 2008. It’s really time someone said stop and let it go. But Marvel, it seems, thinks fourth time is the charm. Here comes The Punisher, yet again.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Comic...oot-19813.html

I liked Thomas Jane as the Punisher, but the story didn't help him. I wonder if whoever is cast as Punisher for Marvel will be doing cameos in the Avengers movie.
Old 07-24-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Marvel regains movie rights to Punisher - Plans to do another reboot

Thomas. Jane.
Old 07-24-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost care. Not really.
Old 07-24-10, 11:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ray Stevenson could beat the shit out of Jane. I don't give a damn if he is Volstagg in Thor. He can do both!

But honestly? Another reboot...how about a sequel? Tone done the crazy colors. Get a damn good story in.
Old 07-24-10, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Thomas. Jane.
No. Thanks.

Don't do another stupid Punisher movie. The character can't sustain. Keep him as a background/secondary character in an existing Marvel movie.
Old 07-24-10, 11:17 PM
Banned

..and how would that work? I know it works in the comics but..in a film..I dunno...
Old 07-24-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You could fit him into any reasonable plot. Taking down gang/drug/mafia goons, he finds some sort of weird artifact smuggling ring that has unearthed the Cosmic Cube or some such nonsense, he crosses paths with the Avengers, etc. Or put him in something more earthbound and have him hit the pavement with Iron Fist, Power Man, Daredevil, heck even that POS Night Thrasher.

Heck he could even work in a Spider-Man movie.
Old 07-24-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I think Sylvester Stallone makes a great Punisher. If not Steven Segal.

Ok I'm bullshitting lol
Old 07-24-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What would Segal be punishing? His arteries?
Old 07-24-10, 11:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
You could fit him into any reasonable plot. Taking down gang/drug/mafia goons, he finds some sort of weird artifact smuggling ring that has unearthed the Cosmic Cube or some such nonsense, he crosses paths with the Avengers, etc. Or put him in something more earthbound and have him hit the pavement with Iron Fist, Power Man, Daredevil, heck even that POS Night Thrasher.

Heck he could even work in a Spider-Man movie.
The only ones I could see him comfortably work in are DD...and possibly Fist and Cage. Maybe a Moon Knight...but..it'd all have to start w/ how the audience is introduced to the world that Punny works in and how that world can be also connected to the other heroes. For example..and maybe a poor example. Superman could never be in a Nolan Batman universe. Batman...couldn't either...even if Nolan is producing...fit in a Supes world.
Old 07-24-10, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Bring back Jane. They set up the character extremely well and then Lionsgate twiddled their thumbs over a script for the sequel. Jane apparently stayed in shape for a couple of years before bailing on the movie, but said he'd be game to come back at any time provided they ever managed to get a decent script together.
Old 07-24-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that the character has grown apart from the tights-and-capes Superhero stories. Putting him alongside Spider-man or Iron Man would seem strange. References to things like SHIELD, however, would make sense.

The idea that the character can't sustain is understandable, given the last three attempts, but it's still a sound theory. Time and again it's been proven you can make an excellent vigilante film. There has to be a way you can do it while slapping a skull on the guy's shirt.

There's plenty of mistakes to learn from. No more origin stories, Marvel. Keep the right tone - no more jumping from cartoonish exxageration to deathly seriousness. Write a script that would actually pass Screenwriting 102.
Old 07-24-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Jane apparently stayed in shape for a couple of years before bailing on the movie, but said he'd be game to come back at any time provided they ever managed to get a decent script together.
You'd say the same if you were stuck in DTV. At least until your HBO show got inexplicably renewed.
Old 07-24-10, 11:32 PM
Banned

very much indeed. And a great director. War Zone was fun but not great...barely good, loved the action in it though.

Stevenson was perfect as Castle.
Old 07-24-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I'd like Jane to come back. Stevenson looked the part but his performance could have been replicated by anyone iin the right physical shape.
Old 07-24-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Eh. I don't even count the Lundgren one. Going to a 3rd Bruce Banner in what, 7 years? That's worse to me.

I like Jane too, but I'm sure they'll move on to a different actor.
Old 07-24-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's been tons of comic stories about SHIELD trying to take down The Punisher. To no avail.

Personally, I'd pay $15 just to watch a 15 minute sequence of Punisher taking Wolverine down like he did in the Ennis comics: by smashing that adamantium-laced fruit square in the nuts with a baseball bat, and then running him over with a steam roller and leaving him there.
Old 07-24-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

There's been tons of comic stories about SHIELD trying to take down The Punisher. To no avail.

Personally, I'd pay $15 just to watch a 15 minute sequence of Punisher taking Wolverine down like he did in the Ennis comics: by smashing that adamantium-laced fruit square in the nuts with a baseball bat, and then running him over with a steam roller and leaving him there.
Pics?

EDIT: Nevermind. http://www.againwiththecomics.com/20...wolverine.html
Old 07-24-10, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Awesome I forgot he SHOT him in the nuts!

Old 07-25-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked Punisher: War Zone, and would prefer to see Stevenson continue, but how many cracks does Marvel need at the character at this point anyway? Either crank out some low budget Punisher flicks (straight-to-DVD would even work, as far as I'm concerned), or relegate him to a background player in appropriate Marvel films, like Hokeyboy suggested.
Old 07-25-10, 01:25 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully Dolph, the best one of them all reprises it.
Old 07-25-10, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I also enjoyed Punisher: War Zone even though there is some really corny crap in there. Still haven't seen The Punisher(04) though.

I think an R rated Punisher with Nick Fury tag-teaming against a real down-to-earth Kingpin like character would be awesome. Something done by Rodriguez, Tarantino, or Carnahan avoiding another reboot-origin story.

Forgot to touch on the fact that Marvel is actually getting back this property even though it just had a film made; maybe they can get back Namor and/or Daredevil?

Last edited by gmanca; 07-25-10 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-25-10, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Marvel does it then it will probally be a Big Budget PG-13 spectacle with Justin Beiber as a young Frank Castle in High School who punishes the bullies
Old 07-25-10, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Wow, that looks utterly retarded I guess they gotta sustain the Punisher's attitude and cool factor somehow besides just "guy with guns."

Originally Posted by JJE-187
If Marvel does it then it will probally be a Big Budget PG-13 spectacle with Justin Beiber as a young Frank Castle in High School who punishes the bullies
I know, because Marvel already totally ruined Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, and Thor with those dumb teenage actors!
Old 07-25-10, 04:28 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I know, because Marvel already totally ruined Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, and Thor with those dumb teenage actors!
The biggest problem would be the PG-13. The Punisher needs to brutal!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.