Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Flaw in 3D's Bright Future

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Flaw in 3D's Bright Future

Old 07-26-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dark Flaw in 3D's Bright Future

Originally Posted by Tsung
Does anyone even like 3D movies? It seems to me that most people see movies in 3D because they have heard that 3D is now new and improved, and are curious to see how it has changed. Once they are used to the 3D, though, many of those people have a take it or leave it attitude, and combined with the higher cost for 3D movies, are perfectly content with traditional 2D movies. Anyone agree?
I'm sure some people have a take it or leave it attitude, but I don't. When given the choice, I'll take 3D every time (provided that it is done right). For recent examples, I found that the 3D added to the experience of Toy Story 3 and Despicable Me quite a bit (especially the "high wire" scene of Despicable Me). Also, at our local theater I have never noticed a lower brightness level when watching a 3D presentation, and have never suffered any eye strain or headaches of any kind.

It seems to me that too many people are "inventing" reasons not to like it, as if they need to justify their opinion. If you don't like it, then just say "I don't like it". There's nothing wrong with that. But don't try to imply that the technology is deficient, or that it is incapable of adding to the movie-going experience.
Old 07-27-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm not a fan of 3D at all, but I will admit that the picture quality on the Tron Legacy preview I saw (in front of How to Train Your Dragon) was pretty good.
Tron Legacy is wisely going to use the 3D only in the "computer world" scenes.
Old 07-27-10, 12:23 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I'm sure some people have a take it or leave it attitude, but I don't. When given the choice, I'll take 3D every time (provided that it is done right). For recent examples, I found that the 3D added to the experience of Toy Story 3 and Despicable Me quite a bit (especially the "high wire" scene of Despicable Me). Also, at our local theater I have never noticed a lower brightness level when watching a 3D presentation, and have never suffered any eye strain or headaches of any kind.
It seems as though you are lucky enough to have an optimal viewing experience when you watch a 3D movie. I think that the reason many people are not fans, aside from the added cost, is that too many theatres simply don't show 3D movies correctly because of lower brightness levels. Perhaps if more theatres projected 3D movies properly, they might be much more popular.
Old 07-27-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

I didn't feel 3D added anything at all to Toy Story 3. That's my last 3D movie. I'll be happy to see Tron in 2D.
Old 07-27-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I've only seen three 3-D movies in theaters since the whole new wave of 3-D started: UP, CORALINE and AVATAR. The only one that had impressive 3-D was CORALINE. Now, that was at a special screening, so evidently they put more care into the projection for that one showing, since it was all for Academy voters or something. AVATAR looked terrible at the theater I saw it at, a multiplex in Manhattan with I don't know how many screens and many of them showing AVATAR.

I'm not sure what kind of movie it would take to get me to go back to a 3-D movie.

The question I have is why Panasonic is so furiously pushing its 3-D TV sets. Who wants them? What are they gonna watch on them? Who has living rooms big enough to be able to sit back far enough to get the maximum 3-D effect? How much stuff can you watch at home in 3-D before your eyes go bad?

Just curious.
Old 07-27-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how much stuff you can watch in 3-D at home before you just get sick of it? Because the great 3-D movies so far are still great in 2-D. There isn't one movie ever improved with 3-D.
Old 07-27-10, 08:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Unfortunately that kind of thinking killed 3-D in the '50s and it already is killing 3D again.

You're killing the 3D, Larry!
Old 07-27-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Tron Legacy is wisely going to use the 3D only in the "computer world" scenes.
I think that is pretty cool even though I dislike 3-D.