Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Old 07-24-10, 02:33 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,000
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Old 07-24-10, 02:43 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,673
Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Sean Penn in Carlito's Way
Old 07-24-10, 02:44 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Apparently the OP really likes this topic:

[movie] would have been great if [name] wasn't in it
Old 07-24-10, 02:55 PM
  #54  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,891
Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by jfoobar
No, that belongs in the perfect casting thread. Seriously. I am generally annoyed by Chris Tucker (as are most) but he was awesome as Ruby Rhod.
Originally Posted by Eva Kaine
Agreed.
You two are out of my will. In the history of movie mistakes, casting Chris Tucker here is number one. The Fifth Element could have been a very good movie, but he absolutely ruins it. I can't imagine anything worse in the entire history of film, than his performance there. If I could go back in time and do anything, it would be to get Hitler and Chris Tucker admitted into art school.
Old 07-24-10, 02:59 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,000
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

^Sounds like you hated the character, which is different from the character being miscast. I can't imagine anyone but Chris Tucker in that role, as annoying a role it was.
Old 07-24-10, 03:04 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,533
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by Trevor
You two are out of my will. In the history of movie mistakes, casting Chris Tucker here is number one. The Fifth Element could have been a very good movie, but he absolutely ruins it. I can't imagine anything worse in the entire history of film, than his performance there. If I could go back in time and do anything, it would be to get Hitler and Chris Tucker admitted into art school.
If you don't like the character, blame Besson not Tucker. I don't think anyone could've done better given what Tucker was given to play.
Old 07-24-10, 03:04 PM
  #57  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,891
Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
^Sounds like you hated the character, which is different from the character being miscast. I can't imagine anyone but Chris Tucker in that role, as annoying a role it was.
You may have a small point, I am biased, as I cringe at everything Chris Tucker has ever done, so I prefer to think it was all him.

I like quirky characters and saw the potential in that role, just hated Tucker.
Old 07-24-10, 03:06 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
^Sounds like you hated the character, which is different from the character being miscast. I can't imagine anyone but Chris Tucker in that role, as annoying a role it was.
It was an original character, so how can you know whether he was miscast or perfectly cast? It's not like we had seen the character before and knew how it should have been played.

And I agree with Trevor. If Chris Tucker had not been in that movie, I would have liked it ten times more. I can barely bring myself to watch it now, despite liking almost everything else about it.
Old 07-24-10, 03:10 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,000
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by Numanoid
It was an original character, so how can you know whether he was miscast or perfectly cast?
You can't, which was my point.
Old 07-24-10, 03:13 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,656
Received 284 Likes on 218 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by jmu878
Yes, Jason Statham is a much better actor than Leo. I don't know what Scorsese and Nolan were thinking in casting that clown. The Crank movies are clearly the masterpieces of this generation.
Thank you! Finally, someone on this thread who understands exactly what I've been trying to beat into these numskulls' heads around here for the past year-and-a-half.
Old 07-24-10, 03:18 PM
  #61  
En vacance
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,512
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Sean Penn in Carlito's Way
aw cmon he was the basis for this guy in GTA Vice City

Old 07-24-10, 03:21 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

I think it would be pretty hard for ONE miscasting to ruin an entire film...especially a good film. The miscasting might detract from it, but I can't imagine any films have actually been ruined by one role that was miscasted.

The gay cowboy's ugly sister defintely took The Dark Knight down a tad for me.
Old 07-24-10, 03:26 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Although Alba was terrible in F4, everyone else was also terrible and the script was godawful, so I at least enjoyed her wonderful face and body.

Of all the movies mentioned, I don't think any of them were ruined by their miscastings.
Old 07-24-10, 03:28 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I think it would be pretty hard for ONE miscasting to ruin an entire film...especially a good film. The miscasting might detract from it, but I can't imagine any films have actually been ruined by one role that was miscasted.

The gay cowboy's ugly sister defintely took The Dark Knight down a tad for me.
Yeah, she's hideous.

Interestingly enough, she looked pretty good in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind in the three seconds of screen time she had.

Her face seems to be melting or something.
Old 07-24-10, 03:35 PM
  #65  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BuckNaked2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 6,145
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by whoopdido
The gay cowboy's ugly sister defintely took The Dark Knight down a tad for me.
Really? I thought she was a step-up from Tom Cruise's beard in Begins.
Old 07-24-10, 03:37 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BuckNaked2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 6,145
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

I think the point of Ruby Rhod is that he was supposed to be annoying. Like someone else said, blame Besson if you don't like the character, but CT was pitch-perfect.
Old 07-24-10, 03:56 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 46,687
Received 2,225 Likes on 1,255 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by Numanoid
And I agree with Trevor. If Chris Tucker had not been in that movie, I would have liked it ten times more. I can barely bring myself to watch it now, despite liking almost everything else about it.
For me, the worst casting in The Fifth Element was easily "Tiny" Lister as the galactic president or whatever his job was.

Back to the original topic...while Gettysburg is not a film containing very many good performances to begin with, Martin Sheen was horribly miscast as Robert E. Lee.

OTOH, the same filmmakers cast Stephen Lang as George Pickett, and that was a brilliant piece of casting.
Old 07-24-10, 03:59 PM
  #68  
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 46,687
Received 2,225 Likes on 1,255 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Without pointing out any one post in particular, there do seem to be several comments that suggests consternation based more about the physical attractiveness of an actress than her actual performance.
Old 07-24-10, 04:13 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 20,417
Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by Eva Kaine
Obviously you have never seen The Age of Innocence.
Saw it in theaters in '93, a few times since. She's horrible.
Old 07-24-10, 04:25 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Without pointing out any one post in particular, there do seem to be several comments that suggests consternation based more about the physical attractiveness of an actress than her actual performance.
Of course. A very good looking billionaire and a media darling (who's not exactly ugly himself) D.A. would not be fighting over somebody as unattractive as her. Of all the unbelievable things in that movie, that was the most unbelievable. Never understood the casting on that one. It's not like she's a GREAT actress either, so they weren't going for acting ability over looks. There are countless other actresses out there that could have pulled that role off just fine and done it while looking much more attractive.
Old 07-24-10, 04:36 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Saw it in theaters in '93, a few times since. She's horrible.
Old 07-24-10, 06:05 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by Shazam
Although Alba was terrible in F4, everyone else was also terrible and the script was godawful, so I at least enjoyed her wonderful face and body.

Of all the movies mentioned, I don't think any of them were ruined by their miscastings.
Everyone? Chiklis and Chris Evans were great as the Thing and Torch
Old 07-24-10, 06:51 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East of Ypsi
Posts: 8,905
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
Heather Graham, playing a prostitute with the finest teeth, in From Hell.
Yeah, if they had just yellowed them at least. I don't even mind that much that they're straight.

For me, the Chris Rock cameo in A.I. Artificial Intelligence is just atrocious. I'd love a DC that pulled that briefest of scenes out of the film.
Old 07-24-10, 07:27 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Posts: 29,835
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

Originally Posted by Numanoid
yeah
going to have to add "people that record stuff off a tv with a camcorder and then upload it to youtube" to my list of things I hate
Old 07-24-10, 07:48 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 4,352
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Movies ruined by the miscasting of ONE role?

The second one to come to mind, after Sofia Coppola in Godfather III, was Chris Tucker in The Fifth Element.

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I thought Chris Tucker was good in Jackie Brown, but, then again, I love that movie. Possibly my favorite QT flick.
I haven't liked Chris Tucker in anything but I thought he was great as Beaumont.

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Of course. A very good looking billionaire and a media darling (who's not exactly ugly himself) D.A. would not be fighting over somebody as unattractive as her. Of all the unbelievable things in that movie, that was the most unbelievable. Never understood the casting on that one. It's not like she's a GREAT actress either, so they weren't going for acting ability over looks. There are countless other actresses out there that could have pulled that role off just fine and done it while looking much more attractive.
I couldn't disagree with this more. First of all, people have different opinions of what is and is not beautiful and second, people like people for reasons other than looks.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.