Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Kevin Smith's career over?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Is Kevin Smith's career over?

Old 07-25-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts
Re: Is Kevin Smith's career over?

I don't think it's over, but I really think he needs to take a break from directing and just write some scripts. He also needs to quit defending stuff that is obviously crap and blaming everyone but himself when one of his movies tanks.
Old 07-25-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldn't say cop out was a full blown flop. BOM says it had a 30 mil dollar budget, made 45 mil in the states and about 7 worldwide, so it def broke even if you were to also include what ever marketing costs for the movie were
Old 07-25-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 707 Likes on 436 Posts

I love how this thread was started by someone who got banned from Kevin Smith's Twitter feed...
Old 07-25-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

You people keep posting about the same thing over and over. !
Old 07-25-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

As long as audiences turn their noses up at movies with thoughtful, witty dialogue, and instead flock to see the latest Judd Apatow cinematic bowel movement, then...

...yes, Kevin Smith's career is over. (Along with my faith in humanity for that and various other things.)
Old 07-25-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

During last night's Comic-Con panel, Kevin did say his next project is "Red State." He has the money (he was amazed he got it AFTER "Cop Out" was released) and should start soon. He did say he will be using different actors than he's worked with before.
Old 07-25-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
As long as audiences turn their noses up at movies with thoughtful, witty dialogue, and instead flock to see the latest Judd Apatow cinematic bowel movement, then...

...yes, Kevin Smith's career is over. (Along with my faith in humanity for that and various other things.)
Have you actually seen Apatow's films? I know how they've been promoted, but the truth is that each of the three he's personally directed have had a surprising amount of humanity to them. I found the sub-plot about Paul Rudd's character in Knocked Up very easy to identify with, as a husband who needs more alone time than his wife. And Funny People was really an outright drama that showed how shallow and dark the spotlight can turn a person.

Yes, there's a certain amount of obligatory stoner humor to be found, but the characters rarely feel one-dimensional and actually show growth--more than can be said of a lot of films not just today, but ever. You can find legitimate complaints to register about Apatow's filmography--especially those he merely produced--but to suggest that they lack "thoughtful, witty dialogue" simply does not ring true.
Old 07-25-10, 12:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

There's thoughtful, witty dialogue in Cop Out?
Old 07-25-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah Kevin Smith's films are much higher class than Judd Apatow's.
Old 07-25-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 707 Likes on 436 Posts

As long as audiences turn their noses up at movies with thoughtful, witty dialogue, and instead flock to see the latest Judd Apatow cinematic bowel movement, then yes, Kevin Smith's career is over.

Going from VHS to DVD was like
going from a Yugo to a Porsche.
Going from DVD to Blu-Ray is like
going from a Porsche to a slightly shinier Porsche.
I'll wait a few years...
Old 07-25-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope he keeps making movies. I like the majprity of his stuff. He's a direct/writer. That's all I care about. I'm not a fanboy that won't watch or will watch a movie based on Smith's rantings.
Old 07-25-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Yeah Kevin Smith's films are much higher class than Judd Apatow's.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Clerks was genius and it got him in the biz, so more power to him. But I don't care much for the rest of his movies, I think he's a one-trick pony who's capitalized on the stoner-slacker-comic book culture, but really doesn't have anything to say.

But hey, what the hell have I done...
Old 07-25-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 935 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
During last night's Comic-Con panel, Kevin did say his next project is "Red State." He has the money (he was amazed he got it AFTER "Cop Out" was released) and should start soon. He did say he will be using different actors than he's worked with before.
Turd or not (haven't seen it yet), Kevin did say on Smodcast that he received more phone calls (from studios offering work) after Cop Out released than at any point in his career.
Old 07-25-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
There's thoughtful, witty dialogue in Cop Out?
In all fairness, he didn't write that one.
Old 07-25-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have never been a big fan of Kevin Smith, but i have enjoyed some of his movies. Clerks was good and felt like a breath of fresh air when it came out. I have always been a sucker for Jay and Silent Bob so the stand alone movie was good. Mallrats was a movie that i really used to love, but rewatching it recently made me cringe a little.

Any how, i have found it very interesting to see the way Kevs career has gone. The downwards spiral has been continual. The thing is i think that his professional career has changed the man in his personal life. He seemed to start out as a movie fan who wanted to just enjoy the film making process and try to deliver entertaining movies. Now he seems to have bought into his own hype and has lost the reason why he started out in this game. He has not really grown as a film maker and does not seem to actually widen his vision with new works. The shelf life of any film maker i feel is how well they adapt and respond to changing tastes of the audience. He seems to still be stuck back in 1994 and simply does not want the world to change. So i guess we will continue to get movies that reference farts and Star Wars and he will wonder why people do not respond to it (Hint Kev.....we got it years ago, had a laugh and moved on). I guess he is kinda like that ex-girlfriend who is still clingy for you and when she realizes that you have moved on she just goes psycho nuts and mean.
Old 07-25-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't be shocked if half of Cop Out was improv.

Wonder how long til Kev's comic con panel from last night shows up on youtube (or a transcript)
Old 05-31-20, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

I wasn't sure where to put this, without starting a new thread. Why not a 10-year thread bump?

Looks like Kevin has a "club" with different levels based on subscription rates. Much like a patreon account.

“Give me a little money and I’ll give you hours of filthy oral!”
Kevin Smith

That Kevin Smith Club
Old 05-31-20, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 385 Likes on 274 Posts

Kevin Smith version of Only Fans. Ha.

Filthy oral is so 2010. It’s all about premium Snapchat sex with filters. And eating ass.

And no his career isn’t over.
Old 05-31-20, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

I don't think so. We still see him all the time in pop culture. As a director? I think if he could just put down the bong and go to and *complete* film school (or ask a fellow director for some tips), I think he could rise again. He's one of the greatest comic minds of my generation (Gen X), and I think if he could pull himself together as a filmmaker he could soar. "Clerks"; "Chasing Amy" and "Dogma" prove that he has talent. He's already made a mark for himself with those three films. I love the guy. Irrespective if him not being the second coming of Kubrick, I can hardly think of another filmmaker that has brought me more joy than Kevin Smith.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-09-20)
Old 05-31-20, 02:46 PM
Former Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I have never been a big fan of Kevin Smith, but i have enjoyed some of his movies. Clerks was good and felt like a breath of fresh air when it came out. I have always been a sucker for Jay and Silent Bob so the stand alone movie was good. Mallrats was a movie that i really used to love, but rewatching it recently made me cringe a little.

Any how, i have found it very interesting to see the way Kevs career has gone. The downwards spiral has been continual. The thing is i think that his professional career has changed the man in his personal life. He seemed to start out as a movie fan who wanted to just enjoy the film making process and try to deliver entertaining movies. Now he seems to have bought into his own hype and has lost the reason why he started out in this game. He has not really grown as a film maker and does not seem to actually widen his vision with new works. The shelf life of any film maker i feel is how well they adapt and respond to changing tastes of the audience. He seems to still be stuck back in 1994 and simply does not want the world to change. So i guess we will continue to get movies that reference farts and Star Wars and he will wonder why people do not respond to it (Hint Kev.....we got it years ago, had a laugh and moved on). I guess he is kinda like that ex-girlfriend who is still clingy for you and when she realizes that you have moved on she just goes psycho nuts and mean.
This comment feels spot on in a lot of ways

I get the impression that, like a lot of young inspired directors, he was eager to make his mark with a unique world vision that was in touch with reality. So his early films feel like genuine 'slices of life' that are easily relatable. But it's like getting more famous made him both more self-conscious and gave him a bigger ego. Now he's trying too hard to make a Kevin Smith film to the point where it comes across as too meta and just not in touch with reality anymore. He now has a Kevin Smith universe and a subscription-based Kevin Smith fanbase (in an era where everyone has free podcasts) and it just seems like he thinks he's more relevant than he is.

On the other hand, he has a diehard fanbase who probably will pay for the membership, so what do I know. I just miss the director who once seemed more in touch with real life, and less concerned with making everything part of the Kevin Smith brand.
Old 05-31-20, 03:04 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Not an uncommon thing for writer/directors to lose their relatability in their work, or their ability to make something inspired. Having real longevity in Hollywood is rare.
Old 05-31-20, 03:06 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Brack
Not an uncommon thing for writer/directors to lose their relatability in their work, or their ability to make something inspired. Having real longevity in Hollywood is rare.
some will probably argue with me, but Quentin Tarantino definitely went down a similar path
Old 05-31-20, 03:34 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Well his movies make good money and I wouldn’t exactly call his movies mainstream, or anything guaranteed to make bank. He seems to still connect with audiences.
Old 05-31-20, 04:06 PM
Former Member

Well his movies make good money and I wouldn’t exactly call his movies mainstream, or anything guaranteed to make bank. He seems to still connect with audiences.
I mean that he’s become more and more Tarantino as his career has gone along. He definitely has more staying power than Kevin Smith
Old 06-01-20, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 814 Likes on 386 Posts

He doesn't spend a lot of money and he only makes movies that he can take on tour with a live Q&A. It's the live experience that sells the ticket. People want to see him speak more than they want to see the movie. If he was distributing his movies in a traditional way, they would be viewed as bombs.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-09-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.