Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Kevin Smith's career over?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Is Kevin Smith's career over?

Old 07-21-10, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Is Kevin Smith's career over?

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think it's funny that Ben Affleck turned out to be ten times the director Kevin Smith ever could be.
I've always thought it was cool when an actor outshines a director he frequently collaborates with. Is it funny that Clint Eastwood made better movies than Don Siegel? I suppose it could be to some people. I just think it's admirable.
Old 07-21-10, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Yes, his career as a valid artist ended with Dogma I think. His movies since then have been varying degrees of mediocre.
Originally Posted by Sessa17
I could only dream that it would be. This forum alone will keep the most talentless person in hollywood going for many years to go sadly.
Originally Posted by Joe Camel
To answer the OP question: YES, PLEASE LORD, LET IT BE TRUE!!!!

Can't stand the douche-bag. His only talent is in raising (or lowering) the bar on vulgarity.
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Kevin Smith is fat.

Have you seen the size of this fatty? All fat and pouted up and shit...
There literally might not be a single filmmaker in the business as one-note & one-style as Kevin Smith.
Originally Posted by eXcentris
If I had to choose between Uwe Boll and Kevin Smith (heck, throw Eli Roth in there too), it would be a tough choice...
I think it's funny that Ben Affleck turned out to be ten times the director Kevin Smith ever could be.

....and he hears this kind of shit thousands of times a day. Just because a man extends himself to his audience doesn't mean he should expect this kind of abuse. I know this is the internet and everyone likes to speak their mind but what does telling him he's terrible do for you. You don't like him or his movies - don't watch them. Or keep your abuse to message boards in your own little world. Writing reviews on popular websites about his career or tweeting him personally that his work sucks is pretty obscene.

I think every disgusting review or tweet deserves every harsh response back... BUT I'm brainwashed and defend him like I know him personally so I guess I'm wrong.

Last edited by jmanlakerfan; 07-21-10 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-22-10, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
I've always thought it was cool when an actor outshines a director he frequently collaborates with. Is it funny that Clint Eastwood made better movies than Don Siegel? I suppose it could be to some people. I just think it's admirable.
Good comparison. I guess it's funny cause I never would've expected the guy to become a director and a quite talented one at that.
Old 07-22-10, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked Clerks. I loved Chasing Amy. I liked Dogma. I liked Mallrats.

The rest is basically crap.

After Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, I won't jump at the chance to see Kevin Smith movies. I do, however, hope that he makes another great film. It's sad to see the shit he's been putting out.
Old 07-22-10, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by jmanlakerfan
....and he hears this kind of shit thousands of times a day. Just because a man extends himself to his audience doesn't mean he should expect this kind of abuse. I know this is the internet and everyone likes to speak their mind but what does telling him he's terrible do for you. You don't like him or his movies - don't watch them. Or keep your abuse to message boards in your own little world. Writing reviews on popular websites about his career or tweeting him personally that his work sucks is pretty obscene.

I think every disgusting review or tweet deserves every harsh response back... BUT I'm brainwashed and defend him like I know him personally so I guess I'm wrong.
I wrote:
"His movies since then have been varying degrees of mediocre." Yeah, I really reamed him.

How the hell is writing a review of Smith's work "obscene"? You need a dictionary mate. I agree personal criticism about his weight etc. is uncool, but saying nobody is allowed to review his career on popular websites is more than a little bit fascist sounding, frankly.
Old 07-22-10, 12:38 AM

Actually I don't think writing a review of his movies are obscene at all. I'm talking the personal reviews of his career and weight issues. The bad review this guy did about Cop Out is not what I'm talking about or what Kevin Smith was upset about. I meant the untrue reviews that are stated as fact and not one person's opinion. Maybe I am sounding fascist - I don't mean to be. I just think it's a little rude.
Old 07-22-10, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
I tried following his tweets for a while, but it was all about dope-smoking and sex. I could've gotten the same content from a 15-year-old.
Replace "tweets" with "movies" and that about sums up Smith.
Old 07-22-10, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Abuse?!? Are you new to the internet? Seriously you act like Smith is the only person in the world that people have negative opinions on. And now you think people should not speak a word of ill about him on popular website because it's "obscene"? I was half joking about the brainwashing thing, but now you've got me truly wondering. God forbid somebody presents a viewpoint of him that you disagree with. For what it's worth, I see far more people praising his terrible filmography than slamming it around these parts.
Old 07-22-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

....and he hears this kind of shit thousands of times a day. Just because a man extends himself to his audience doesn't mean he should expect this kind of abuse.
Did anyone force him to read the article that kicked off this shitfest? It's not like the guy tweeted it to him line-by-line. Smith had to make a positive effort to read it.

And the article is true. Smith hasn't made a good film in ten years. All the things he claims as proving he's still relevant or important are the equivalent of Francis Ford Coppola doing Japanese liquor commercials.
Old 07-22-10, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

Meh, I like his stuff. Although I do agree that he should stop putting his wife in his movies. She is not good.
Old 07-22-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 463 Likes on 259 Posts

Since the only movie he has made that I can sit through is Chasing Amy, it wouldn't bother me a bit if his career is done. It also wouldn't bother me if he continues making films, I'll just avoid them like I do with 90% of the crap that comes out of Hollywood.
Old 07-22-10, 11:11 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the overzealous love some people have for Smith is a bit much, but I feel same way about the fanatical hatred his detractors have. Just two types of obsession...
Old 07-22-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok so I only seen one Kevin Smith movie "Dogma". So probably my opinion will be very thin but judging from that movie alone I could tell his directorial abilities were very thin and even though it features a great cast it kinda felt amateur. I still love that movie though, it has great lines.
Old 07-22-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I think the overzealous love some people have for Smith is a bit much, but I feel same way about the fanatical hatred his detractors have. Just two types of obsession...
No shit. It funny seeing how many people hate the guy and his films but take the time to post in this thread about their feelings.
Old 07-22-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

God, I hope so.
Old 07-22-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kevin Smith as a person (or persona?) has become extremely obnoxious over the last couple of years and yeah, these kinds of tweet outbursts and frequent whining and calling to arms of net nerds for things like his embarrassing Southwest fiasco definitely factor into this.

I'll still probably watch any movies he writes/directs, as I do tend to like them, but I avoid his online presence 100%.
Old 07-22-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No shit. It funny seeing how many people hate the guy and his films but take the time to post in this thread about their feelings.
It's directly correlated to the blind fanboy love.
Old 07-22-10, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Since the only movie he has made that I can sit through is Chasing Amy, it wouldn't bother me a bit if his career is done. It also wouldn't bother me if he continues making films, I'll just avoid them like I do with 90% of the crap that comes out of Hollywood.

Originally Posted by DRG
I don't know which is worse, the fanboys or the haters.

I'm a fan of his, I generally find him funny. But it's been obvious to me for as long as I've listened & watched him that he has a huge ego and is overly sensitive to criticism. I bet his inner circle strokes his ego and all the online attention does nothing but increase it.

But I don't get all the hate. if you don't like his movies then why bother to respond articles about him? It's like there is a cool kid's table and you can't sit there unless you dump on certain people like Kevin Smith.

I also find it funny that if you like his work in general that instantly makes you a fanboy or a zombie. I've liked everything he's done on varying degrees. I loved Clerks, Clerks 2, Mallrats & Chasing Amy. I found Z&M funny, and that was his best movie outside the ViewAskew universe. Jersey Girl was my least favorite and haven't seen it since it came out. J&SBSB was funny but in a random sort of way, it felt like more of a sketch comedy show than a movie. Cop Out was a big disappointment. It had some funny stuff & I see what he was going for but he missed the mark. It had enough to stop me from hating it, and it's not something I'd recommend to most people. when it came out I thought he should have just drank a big glass of STFU instead of complaining about the negative reviews.

I'm hoping he will rebound with Red State and his hockey movie, but to be honest I'm not overly excited about either.
Old 07-22-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe I'm out of touch (I don't have a Twitter account) or something, but since when did random people saying stuff on the internet "deserve" a reply?

If I called you a fat ass right now (don't worry, I'm sure I am fatter than you) is you life any different than it was before I, some random name on a computer screen said that? Does it "affect" you?

I'm a Kevin Smith fan, I really am. I've seen everything he has directed except Jersey Girl (I intend to) and Cop Out (no desire to ever see this) and I generally like his movies. Chasing Amy is my go-to relationship drama (it is a guy's chick flick), but his tweeting habits are just odd.

I mean, who cares how popular, rich, or whatever the guy is. It is just not normal for anyone to care so much about what someone they never have met says to them on the internet. Or maybe facebook and twitter have changed all that, I don't know...like I said, I could just be really out of touch.
Old 07-22-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Kevin Smith does seem to draw out some extreme reactions from people.

I've liked most of his movies, though I can see he's quite limited in his abilities as a director. He's one of those guys who basically does one thing well and falls flat when he tries to branch out.

I can also sort of see why he's cranky. He's been making movies for almost two decades now, and he's still a cult director. His three attempts at making mainstream (ie, non-Clerksverse) movies have fallen flat commercially. He still hasn't had that big break-through hit, and he's probably afraid that someday the studios are going stop giving him money to make movies.
Old 07-22-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Forget the twitter stuff, this is a guy who took out a full page ad in a Jersey paper in response to a critic that ripped apart Jersey Girl. This is part of why he gets such a strong reaction from people that dislike him. Its not just that his films are awful, but the man has such severe insecurities to the point of being pathetic & obnoxious (his insane self-deprecating for no reason in interviews). The greatest directors of all-time have had critics savage their films, who does Smith think he is that his work should be above such criticism.
Old 07-22-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't follow anyone in film outside of their work. I don't care who they are fucking, or what they said about another person. If there's an interview (like, a real long-form one on Charlie Rose, for example, not for an EPK) I'll hear it. And I like knowing about the business side as well.

But people complaining about Kevin Smith's Twitter is like me complaining about what my neighbor says about poodles in his own bedroom. I don't care, and I won't make the effort to hear it.

So, unless he makes a ton of terrible movies in a row (in my opinion), he's still relevant.
Old 07-22-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,928 Likes on 1,286 Posts

I've always felt that if you're not getting paid to review something why say something if it's not good.
I'd like that kind of reviewing career. It's called payola - you write something good about someone to get money. Also, I never tell my wife if she's got spinach in her teeth unless she slips me a fiver.

Originally Posted by DRG
If someone like Uwe Boll -- who has almost no fanbase and whose movies make considerably less than Smith's -- can keep making films, Smith's career is in no danger.
well, Boll gets a lot of money from the German Government, and people who are looking to 'invest' in a little tax-deduction, so it's a little different.

You don't like him or his movies - don't watch them. Writing reviews on popular websites about his career or ... that his work sucks is pretty obscene.

Smith could take that advice and not read his Twitter feed, since he clearly doesn't like much of it.

FWIW - the OP's review in question is just lame internet grandstanding anyway. Calling Smith irrelevant is like killing a mosquito with a flame-thrower. The reviewer has a point, but blows it out of proportion to get those all valuable page-views, in hopes of someday actually getting paid to write. At least Smith has made a living at his career.

The fact is, it sounds like he can't stand the heat, so maybe he should stay out of the kitchen. Anyone who embarks on a career in anything even remotely related to art (and that includes writing criticism) had better know right off the bat to take everything with a grain of salt, shit-can the haters (in private) and take what you can use.

Smith doesn't know that everyone loses when you lash out at negative criticism. It just makes him look stupid.
Old 07-22-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 198 Likes on 134 Posts

Forget the twitter stuff, this is a guy who took out a full page ad in a Jersey paper in response to a critic that ripped apart Jersey Girl. This is part of why he gets such a strong reaction from people that dislike him. Its not just that his films are awful, but the man has such severe insecurities to the point of being pathetic & obnoxious (his insane self-deprecating for no reason in interviews). The greatest directors of all-time have had critics savage their films, who does Smith think he is that his work should be above such criticism.
I definitely agree with this. He ALWAYS goes out of his way to insult himself in interviews....It was funny and looked at as "hey I'm down to earth" the first few times but after that it just got old (and weird).

I don't really care either way about Smith but I also don't think his career his over by any means either.
Old 07-23-10, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

It's directly correlated to the blind fanboy love.
In this thread? There are plenty of responses along the lines of "like the films but ignore everything else about the guy." Are there a couple 'blind fanboys' posting? Sure, but I think the hate far outweighs those replies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.