Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Kevin Smith's career over?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Is Kevin Smith's career over?

Old 07-21-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is Kevin Smith's career over?

I wouldn't say his career is over. But it is - at the moment - coasting.
Old 07-21-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Should be interesting to see what he has to talk about on Saturday at Comic-Con. I like Kevin but don't like his more "mainstream" movies.
Old 07-21-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

Kevin has made mainstream movies? Cop Out & Jersey Girl?
Old 07-21-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't he doing a lot of work DC and Marvel now-a-days?
Old 07-21-10, 01:57 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to laugh at the comments suggesting his career will be over soon. If someone like Uwe Boll -- who has almost no fanbase and whose movies make considerably less than Smith's -- can keep making films, Smith's career is in no danger. Granted, it may get to the point where he's no longer getting wide releases for his movies, or maybe even going direct-to-DVD/BluRay/download/whatever, but in a world where Bruce Campbell has enough goodwill from the Evil Dead films and a handful of other good projects to remain a cult hero despite a resume filled mostly with SyFy originals and supporting roles in flops like Congo and McHale's Navy, Smith will never be out of work. Hell, even Cuba Gooding Jr. has been averaging at least four films a year on DVD.
Old 07-21-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I could only dream that it would be. This forum alone will keep the most talentless person in hollywood going for many years to go sadly.
Old 07-21-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Nahhh, M. Night isn't too popular 'round these parts.
M. Night at least has one great film though. Smith has been milking the same one-joke film for an entire career & he is super-popular here.
Old 07-21-10, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 210 Posts

To answer the OP question. No.
Old 07-21-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 271 Posts

Kevin Smith keeps up on his public appearances and entertains a lot of folks. There's an upside and a downside. The upside is that you gain a large following. The downside is that you let too many people 'in'. They get to think they know you so well. When their vision or opinion doesn't match, there's such a backlash. If Kevin Smith were making the same movies, but kept more to himself, people wouldn't become 'ignited' to the point where they need to spaz out online.

Oh, and vice-versa for Smith himself, I guess. He's not very subtle about talking shit to his fans.

I dread the Paul Rudd backlash.
Old 07-21-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I find his movies for the most part amusing and i really don't give a shit with what he does with the rest of his time, what he "tweets" or who he talks down on as I don't pay attention to any of it. The problem is that the public is too into following around these types and giving them a forum to express themselves in turn causing aggravation amongst various people. If we didn't have twitter, the E type shows and other nonsense then we could just see their movies, listen to their music or whatever and go on with our lives and not be concerned about what they do in theirs or their personal feelings about shit.
Old 07-21-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin Smith will have a career as long as there are still teenagers smoking dope.
Old 07-21-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I find his movies for the most part amusing and i really don't give a shit with what he does with the rest of his time, what he "tweets" or who he talks down on as I don't pay attention to any of it. The problem is that the public is too into following around these types and giving them a forum to express themselves in turn causing aggravation amongst various people. If we didn't have twitter, the E type shows and other nonsense then we could just see their movies, listen to their music or whatever and go on with our lives and not be concerned about what they do in theirs or their personal feelings about shit.

Tell 'em DSA Shea!
Old 07-21-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like how this article writer implies he'll review the next movie even harsher because of Kevin Smith's criticism. Sounds like Smith isn't the only one with a thin skin and a penchant for childish retribution.
Old 07-21-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kevin Smith is fat.

Have you seen the size of this fatty? All fat and pouted up and shit...
Old 07-21-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Kevin Smith keeps up on his public appearances and entertains a lot of folks. There's an upside and a downside. The upside is that you gain a large following. The downside is that you let too many people 'in'. They get to think they know you so well. When their vision or opinion doesn't match, there's such a backlash. If Kevin Smith were making the same movies, but kept more to himself, people wouldn't become 'ignited' to the point where they need to spaz out online.

Oh, and vice-versa for Smith himself, I guess. He's not very subtle about talking shit to his fans.
Very well said, I couldn't agree more. That's why all his fans talk about him and defend him like they know him personally, as seen in this very thread. I've got to give it to Smith for brainwashing so many people.
Old 07-21-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Smith has many styles, but in almost every one of his films, each of them is represented....which can make them seem similar, I guess.
There literally might not be a single filmmaker in the business as one-note & one-style as Kevin Smith.
Old 07-21-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Very well said, I couldn't agree more. That's why all his fans talk about him and defend him like they know him personally, as seen in this very thread. I've got to give it to Smith for brainwashing so many people.
Including me. I like the big lug.
Old 07-21-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sessa17
There literally might not be a single filmmaker in the business as one-note & one-style as Kevin Smith.
huh? Are you saying Jersey Girl is the same as Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back?
Old 07-21-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
huh? Are you saying Jersey Girl is the same as Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back?
Absolutely, the style is different just because it doesn't have Jay & Silent Bob? That is what Kevin Smith fans call diverse? "But, Jay & Silent Bob aren't in it, its so radically different & brave of Smith, people just misunderstand him". Give me a break. Rather than actually make a drama, which would be a different style, or even a pure romantic comedy, which would be a different style, Smith ultimately can't leave the lame humor behind. I've only seen the first half of it but it was the exact same juvenile poopy & fart jokes. Just an empty attempt to be more sentimental yet rely on the same bromide humor.
Old 07-21-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,271 Likes on 848 Posts

If I had to choose between Uwe Boll and Kevin Smith (heck, throw Eli Roth in there too), it would be a tough choice...
Old 07-21-10, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved Kevin when I was a teenager whenever Clerks and Chasing Amy came out. But since the flame war with Paul Thomas Anderson around the time of the Magnolia release, I lost all respect for him.

I believe he called PTA self-indulgent yet Smith is the one who has to appear in nearly all of his films and has action figures and shirts with his likeness on it.

As far as his movies ever since Dogma, they have all been decently funny but ultimately bad films. I actually thought Zack and Miri was really funny. Cop Out had a few laughs. Jersey Girl was terrible.

But yes, he needs people telling him how funny he is, and if you aren't one of those people, please move along.

Unfortunately, somebody will probably always give him a shot at directing a movie.
Old 07-21-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
To answer the OP question: YES, PLEASE LORD, LET IT BE TRUE!!!!

Can't stand the douche-bag. His only talent is in raising (or lowering) the bar on vulgarity.
Yep, because if you don't like it that means that it shouldn't exist.

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Kevin Smith will have a career as long as there are still teenagers smoking dope.
I can see how teenagers like Jay and Silent Bob and that draws them in but I disagree with you there. And as far as the dope is concerned I don't think that has anything to do with it.
Old 07-21-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just wish I'd could understand what universe Kevin Smith is in where putting his wife who has no acting ability whatsoever in his films is a good idea. I get that not one person in Clerks could act but looking at the circumstances of that film I get that and most of those guys have gotten a lot better. At least in Zack and Miri she had a very small part but she was still the worst part of that flick. She's not an actress, please stop.
Back to the topic, I'm sure he'll still have a career as long as he wants one. I mean Stallone, Deniro, Murphy all have made really bad decisions and they still are making flicks, though I guess they haven't gone on rants like Smith did but they still have a following.
He has seem to have gotten an ego in the last several years but I've always thought that was just a side effect of being successful, i mean he comes off like a dick in those tweets, but most people seem to overlook things like that if their fans.
Old 07-21-10, 09:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I tried following his tweets for a while, but it was all about dope-smoking and sex. I could've gotten the same content from a 15-year-old.
Old 07-21-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's funny that Ben Affleck turned out to be ten times the director Kevin Smith ever could be.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.