Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MATT DAMON to star as "ROBERT F. KENNEDY, based on Evan Thomas' book

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-19-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.hollyscoop.com/movies/mat...nedy_1918.aspx

Matt Damon is getting political with his next role. He’s in serious talks to play the role of Robert F Kennedy, the politician brother of John F. Kennedy, who was shot just five years after his brother was assassinated.

RFK has previously been portrayed on screen by Sheen in 1974 TV movie The Missiles of October, by Casey Affleck in The Kennedys of Massachusetts, and more recently by Dave Fraunces in the 2006 film Bobby.

According to Deadline Hollywood Daily, Damon is considering taking on the role in the untitled project with Seabiscuit director Gary Ross. The website reports the movie will be based on Evan Thomas' biography of Kennedy, titled His Life, and Damon will only sign the contract after he has approved the script.

Well Matt is certainly political enough to take on the role! Plus, he’s from Boston! This just may be the role of a lifetime!
Old 07-19-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: MATT DAMON to star as "ROBERT F. KENNEDY, based on Evan Thomas' book

Matt Damon looks nothing like RFK, but box office means more than anything. They seem to have forgotten Steven Culp's masterful performance in Thirteen Days.

Last edited by Robert; 07-19-10 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-19-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Neither Langella nor Hopkins looked anything like Nixon either.
Old 07-20-10, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I've actually read this book and it was great for a biography. Love most of Damon's work as well, so I'm looking forward to this if it takes off.
Old 07-20-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I was just thinking we needed another RFK movie!

I want my damn Gerald Ford movie!
Old 07-20-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

another excuse for Damon to do another bad BAWSTON accent
Old 07-20-10, 01:12 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
RFK didn't live in Massachusetts all that much. He grew up largely in the NYC suburbs and went to school all over.
Old 08-17-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I was just thinking we needed another RFK movie!

I want my damn Gerald Ford movie!
The only interesting thing about Gerald Ford was his attempted assassination attempt by Manson follower Squeaky Fromme.

And we DO need another RFK movie. We've never had a real movie - so far, they've all been "made-for-TV" movies. And all the RFK biopics have just shown "good Bobby," but I think this film will show parts of "bad Bobby" as well - the ruthless side.
Old 08-17-10, 01:51 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
The guy grew up in Boston, I think he knows what the accent should sound like better than you.
Old 08-17-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eva Kaine
The guy grew up in Boston, I think he knows what the accent should sound like better than you.
yeah, him and Ben Affleck have the Boston accent down. Probably the main reason I didn't hate his performance in The Departed.
Old 08-18-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In addition to this,
I heard that Casey Affleck will be reprising his role as RFK in another upcoming film - focusing on RFK's '68 Campaign (Affleck played RFK in 1990 in "The Kennedys of MA").
Old 07-13-11, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now I can see Matt Damon playing RFK - with the right haircut, they can look alike.
Old 07-13-11, 09:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Just for fun, they should cast Mark Wahlberg as Sirhan Sirhan.
Old 07-13-11, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

That's a random bump. Has there been any more news on this? I don't see anything on this IMDB page.
Old 07-13-11, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
That's a random bump. Has there been any more news on this? I don't see anything on this IMDB page.
I know, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share that RFK picture - I had never seen it before, and I instantly thought about Matt Damon because of the uncanny resemblance, and thought I'd share it here. I haven't heard any additional details about this film, or if it's even going to happen.
Old 07-13-11, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

RFK was one of my heroes and I cried in school the day he died. As far as I'm concerned, his assassination was never properly investigated and his killers have never been brought to justice. (Same thing with his brother.) Evan Thomas is a CIA plant and a thoroughly unreliable biographer.
Old 07-20-11, 08:48 PM

I've not heard more on this, but I'd certainly watch it.
Old 07-20-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
RFK was one of my heroes and I cried in school the day he died. As far as I'm concerned, his assassination was never properly investigated and his killers have never been brought to justice. (Same thing with his brother.) Evan Thomas is a CIA plant and a thoroughly unreliable biographer.
I don't buy the official version either. Not by a long shot.

Hey Ash have you checked the Massimo Mazzucco film The Second Dallas?

This links to MM's site and the movie trailer....

http://www.usfilms.ea29.com/the-seco...s_2992210.html
Old 07-20-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another goddamn Kennedy movie.
Old 07-23-11, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker

Now I can see Matt Damon playing RFK - with the right haircut, they can look alike.
I totally agree.
Old 07-23-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Evan Thomas is a CIA plant and a thoroughly unreliable biographer.
I don't know anything about Evan Thomas, so I will neither defend nor deflame the man. That being said, I thought his biography of Robert Kennedy was as straight-forward a telling of a man's life as any I've read before.

He never went into far-out stuff - never mentioned the Marilyn Monroe stuff, nor did he mention RFK's desire to uncover the truth about his brother's murder.

All Evan Thomas discussed was the Robert Kennedy "on record in history," but in a simple, straightforward, readable manner.

Fact is, there is nothing in Thomas's biography of Robert Kennedy that can be called "unreliable." If you can find something unreliable in that book, you tell me about it.
Old 07-24-11, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I don't know anything about Evan Thomas, so I will neither defend nor deflame the man. That being said, I thought his biography of Robert Kennedy was as straight-forward a telling of a man's life as any I've read before.

He never went into far-out stuff - never mentioned the Marilyn Monroe stuff, nor did he mention RFK's desire to uncover the truth about his brother's murder.

All Evan Thomas discussed was the Robert Kennedy "on record in history," but in a simple, straightforward, readable manner.

Fact is, there is nothing in Thomas's biography of Robert Kennedy that can be called "unreliable." If you can find something unreliable in that book, you tell me about it.
What, you mean I have to actually read the book before trashing the author? You're no fun.

(Actually, if, as you note, he makes no mention of Marilyn Monroe or RFK's feelings about his brother's murder, then, yes, that just might qualify as unreliable, wouldn't it? Or, at the very least--incomplete.)
Old 07-24-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What, you mean I have to actually read the book before trashing the author? You're no fun.

(Actually, if, as you note, he makes no mention of Marilyn Monroe or RFK's feelings about his brother's murder, then, yes, that just might qualify as unreliable, wouldn't it? Or, at the very least--incomplete.)
I mean to say, he mentioned Marilyn (in passing), and, of course, his feelings about JFK...but not in the gossip, tabloid manner. The author only wrote about "what was on record, with references, and other stuff to back up what he wrote about. What he didn't write about was innuendo, rumors, or speculation. There are many other authors out there willing to do that kind of writing, but it meets with no merit in my book. I don't want to read about what some author thinks! I want to read about what some author knows! What he has looked up, who he has interviewed, etc, etc.

There was another book, called Brothers, that devulged into RFK's desire to uncover the conspiracy behind his brother's murder. He couldn't do it as Attorney General Kennedy, and he found he couldn't do it as Senator Kennedy, and he knew he could only do it if he was President Kennedy. While RFK campaigned against the war, against poverty, for equal-rights...he was secretly seeking the Presidency in order to find out what happened in Dallas in 1963.

I don't blame Evan Thomas for not going into this side of Robert Kennedy, because a lot of that part almost borders on rumor as opposed to fact. While I liked the book Brothers, I think Evan Thomas' book about Robert Kennedy is the definitive book. It's a neatly talored book about RFK, as opposed to all the moles, every political move, all the blah-de-blah you'll find in Author Schshlinger's tome "Robert Kennedy And His Times." Too big.

P.S. all that malarky about RFK being there when Marilyn Monroe was killed, I don't believe that for a second. Not because RFK was such a saint that he would never kill a person, because I don't believe RFK was a saint. And not because he felt he had to shut her up before she spilled the beans about the affair between JFK and Marilyn. The main reason why I don't believe it is simply because I don't believe RFK would be so stupid as to be there personally, in plain sight. If he was behind the murder, he would have been so far behind the scenes as to not be there at all. Did he have sex with her? I like to believe he did not, and I don't base that on fact, fiction, or whatever. I just like to believe he did not. That's all.