Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inception Review Poll
52.31%
33.46%
8.85%
3.08%
1.15%
0.38%
No fighting robots? Screw this...
0.77%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Old 07-23-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts
Re: Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Wow, thought the score was completely unremarkable. In fact, several times in the movie I remember distinctly disliking the score and thinking a different composer would have been a better choice. An Oscar for this score would be a crime.

The more time goes on the less I like the movie. It makes me feel like the butt of the "pink elephant joke". I just completely do not get the incredibly effusive praise this movie gets. I just don't see it.

I find the movie very proficient technically, but intensely sterile and clinical. I thought the characters were very one note and there is no connection for me with any of them. In fact, Page is purely an expositionary prop: a character whose only purpose is to ask questions to provide the "rules" of the movie to the audience. It was very cloying.

In fact I think it is the rules and extemely rigid structure of the movie that makes it fail for me. The director seems to be trying to impose a logic and structure to the most free form and unstructured of all experiences- a dream.
It's like a very dry intellectual thesis to try and define and categorize something that he does not really understand at all. This conceit did not fit with me at all, and to be honest the whole concept is silly.

This structure flows through to the dream "mazes" which are completely unimaginative and rigid, nothing at all dreamlike. I found them boring to be honest and not interesting or awe-inspiring in the least bit. In fact the most creative it gets is to allow the world to flip up on itself -again completely unimaginitive and rigid and way way too grounded in normal reality.

Then the plot setup is a complete disaster. So we are going to assemble a team to convince the son of a company's president to dismantle his corporate empire so that another company can completely take over the energy industry-seriously? It's just laughably stupid.

Cobb even organizes all his memories into floors on an elevator.

In the end, I couldn't really care whether he was in a dream or not, or whether he saw his kids or not. It is not a particularly compelling mystery it's just intentionally obtuse and vague. And a cop out.

This movie to me is really like a wax sculpture. It is expertly crafted and extremely detailed, but it is also heartless and in the end completely useless.

I guess having written this, I realize I kind of hate this movie. I just do not see at all what others see in this and all the fuss that is being made about it.
Ditto.

I especially agree about the rules. They simply made no sense to me. "That's ridiculous," I kept thinking anytime anybody in the film tried to explain anything. If I can't accept the rules, then I'm sorry, but I'm not going to play the game. End of story.

Oh, and I'm generally a Zimmer fan, but not for this one. I was having trouble getting into the movie to begin with and the music kept pushing me even further away.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 07-23-10 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-23-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this movie has a Lost effect on people. Where you really like it so you want to think its bigger, smarter than it appears. I think the ending was all right there on the surface, much like it is in every Nolan film.
Old 07-23-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
I just got back from Inception.

First, some background. I rarely see movies in theaters these days. A combination of lack of time, high prices, and having to share the theater with cell phone wielding chatty idiots really ruins the me-and-the-movie experience that I want. Plus, with a 9 y/o, when I do get to see a movie it's generally a kid flick. This is only the third movie this year I've seen - I saw Avatar while the wife and kid were visiting her folks, and we all saw Toy Story 3 with free tickets from buying the TS1/2 DVDs earlier this year. I wouldn't've seen Inception except for (a) being on a business trip to San Diego, (b) our last days' meetings wrapped up early but too late for me to catch an evening flight back to the Midwest, and (c) I was able to catch a 4:30 showing before the chatty cell-phone addicts were likely to show up.

The movie had the following:
STAR - Snake, Train or Indian - Trains were a regular theme.
NO STAR - Blatant Sex/Nudity - No fem skin at all. Too bad
STAR - Destruction of Public Property - Even though it was during a dream scene, lots of street and light poles were ripped up early on.
STAR - Good/Creative Mort - I've never seen a dude killed by blowing up the power transformer he's hiding behind.
NO STAR - Memorable Line - It's been only 2 hours and I can't remember a single spoken line of dialog.

Per the USS Eisenhower rating system, Inception earns 3 stars

A movie loses a star if it doesn't have obligatory nudity? You must have trouble getting into the family fare stuff you see then!
Old 07-23-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait for the deleted scenes on the blu-ray and I wonder if there was more than one ended flimed by mister nolan?
Old 07-23-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cranberries fan
I can't wait for the deleted scenes on the blu-ray and I wonder if there was more than one ended flimed by mister nolan?
I'm willing to bet that we will not get deleted scenes. Nolan's movies have never had deleted scenes included on BDs/DVDs and I don't see why this will be any different. I also highly doubt that Nolan made an alternate ending.

I especially agree about the rules. They simply made no sense to me. "That's ridiculous," I kept thinking anytime anybody in the film tried to explain anything. If I can't accept the rules, then I'm sorry, but I'm not going to play the game. End of story.
Fair enough.

Last edited by Blu Man; 07-23-10 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-23-10, 02:03 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
I also highly doubt that Nolan made an alternate ending.
Completely agree. I wouldn't be surprised if the final scene was one of the first things he wrote, knowing exactly how he wanted it to play out.
Old 07-23-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I just hope the movie continues doing well enough that Hollywood suit types will continue giving different a shot.
Old 07-23-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
I just hope the movie continues doing well enough that Hollywood suit types will continue giving different a shot.
Right now it's at $116 million world wide, with $100 million being domestic. It's getting released in a lot of countries today so that should help the world wide numbers greatly.
Old 07-23-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Curious to see how it does in S. Korea and Japan
Old 07-23-10, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
I'm willing to bet that we will not get deleted scenes. Nolan's movies have never had deleted scenes included on BDs/DVDs and I don't see why this will be any different. I also highly doubt that Nolan made an alternate ending
Insomnia has a deleted scene on the DVD and the BD. *cough*

I highly doubt we'll get deleted scenes on Inception. We got none for BB, TDK, The Prestige, or Following.
Old 07-23-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Insomnia has a deleted scene on the DVD and the BD. *cough*

I highly doubt we'll get deleted scenes on Inception. We got none for BB, TDK, The Prestige, or Following.
So he only shoots in excess for stuff he doesn't write
Old 07-23-10, 06:42 PM
Banned

....Yes?
Old 07-23-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
So he only shoots in excess for stuff he doesn't write
His shooting ratio for The Dark Knight was 200:1, so no.
Old 07-23-10, 07:36 PM
Banned

...what?
Old 07-23-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...what?
For every two hundred minutes of footage that was taken, one minute of it actually made it into the film. However, the vast majority of this footage is retakes and bloopers, not deleted scenes.
Old 07-23-10, 07:55 PM
Banned

Are you using what I think you're using? Cuz if so...technically you're right. If not..well..you're just a smartass, you smartass.
Old 07-23-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are you using what I think you're using? Cuz if so...technically you're right. If not..well..you're just a smartass, you smartass.
What do you think I'm using?

Not really sure what your trying to say with this post to be honest...
Old 07-23-10, 08:01 PM
Banned

The ratio of actual film shot in comparison to what will actually be used, the ratio aspect..not the number you used aspect. I've learned that and can prove it. I once shot 3 hrs. of footage, for ex, and only used about 10 mins. Ugh.....I hated that shoot...yet I love it.
Old 07-23-10, 10:43 PM

I just came back from seeing this a second time. I was pleasantly surprised to realize how much of the film I actual liked.

But I still have the same criticism as I had the first time:
Spoiler:
I feel that the scense where we find out about Cobb's past are poorly placed. Whenever we come to those scenes, it kills the pace that the rest of the movie had. In all honesty I feel that the movie could've worked fine if we had that whole plot line excised.

Last edited by biglou114; 07-26-10 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-24-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Was having a shitty day so I went to see this again, I actually found it to be better made than I did originally, the breakneck pacing in some parts must have distracted me a little originally.

Also, fwiw, watching it a second time killed a lot of my theories

Saw it in IMAX this time and the sheer loudness made the dialog easier to understand and oddly, the acting seem better.
Old 07-24-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Saw this a bit ago. Fantastic. Like the best parts of The Matrix and Dark City (as expected). Surprisingly, I thought Leo's performance was somewhat flat as was JGL. Overall, it didn't distract at how completely awesome I thought it was, though.
Old 07-24-10, 07:23 PM

Count me as another who didn't recognize Berenger at all until I read through this thread.

I enjoyed the movie, though not as much as Nolan's previous three films. The massive amounts of expository dialogue and the necessity of maintaining order among who was where and when and at what rate made the film feel like a technical exercise. It was about as good as a technical exercise can get, but I felt nothing for any of the characters--no attachment, empathy for Cobb or Fischer, just nothing. I have to wonder whether the clinical distance here is the result of Jonathan Nolan not having a hand in the screenwriting process this time around. The lack of emotional attachment kept me at arm's distance from the beginning to end, and by the last scene I felt like I'd spent two hours watching an interesting story, which is not what any writer wants from the audience. I suppose that meshes well with the 100% dream theory floating out there (and which I can buy), but it's remarkable that the catharsis expected from both dreams and works of fiction is almost completely absent by the story's end. Putting it simply, I don't really care whether the entire film was a dream or not, as it lacks emotional depth and resonance.

The effects were spectacular and seamless, probably the best I've ever seen on the big screen. Even the CGI shots of the edifice crumbling onto the beach looked great.

Did anyone else have issues with the sound mixing? Every five minutes or so I felt like I missed a key bit of dialogue thanks to obtrusive ambient noise or the score.

Last edited by grrr; 07-24-10 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-24-10, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the flick again today and I still maintain that it's excellent. I'm still not that bothered by the lack of character development. It holds up nicely upon a second viewing.

Man oh man do I love the train/ambush sequence when they first enter the dream with Fischer. The shootout that ensues is just awesome. I thought the sequence was shot exceptionally well; I was on the edge of my seat even for the second time around.

Originally Posted by biglou114
But I still have the same criticism as I had the first time:
Spoiler:
I feel that the scene where we find out about Cobb's past are placed in poor placed. Whenever we come to those scenes, it kills the pace that the rest of the movie had. In all honesty I feel that the movie could've worked fine if we had that whole plot line excised.
I have to agree with biglou114 about Cobb's back story dragging the film down. I felt that they could have been handled better. To me it felt like Nolan just wanted to give Cotillard more screen time and I feel that it hurts the picture. Though I do think she’s very good in the picture.
Old 07-25-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apologies if this was already covered, but I thought it was pretty cool:

Edith Piaf vs. 'Inception's Mind Heist
Old 07-25-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Caught it again today to use the $7.50 movie ticket I had from the Insomnia Blu-ray and still loved the heck out of it. Oddly enough, the last few years the only movies i've seen multiple times in the theater have been Nolan movies (Batman Begins, Dark Knight, and new Inception).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.