Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inception Review Poll
52.31%
33.46%
8.85%
3.08%
1.15%
0.38%
No fighting robots? Screw this...
0.77%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

I saw this earlier today and I loved it. My rankings for Nolan's films would be:

5 Stars:
Memento

4.5 Stars:
Inception

4 Stars:
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins

3.5 Stars:
The Prestige

3 Stars:
Insomnia
Following
Old 07-19-10, 01:43 AM

anyone think ellen's totem has any meaning? it was a "pawn". who is a pawn in this? leo, ellen, the audience?

also, if falling counts as a kick to wake up then what happened to ellen when she falls out of the building vs leo's wife when she commits suicide? did the wife splat and ellen disappear?
Old 07-19-10, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^I think her chess piece was actually a Bishop. I could be mistaken though.
Old 07-19-10, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
One thing we can all universally agree on: Ken Watanabe needs to stick with his native language. Seven years since he made his English language debut and he's still nearly unintelligible.
I agree - his English threw me off. I could barely understand one word he was saying. He needs to ge the same language teacher as Marion Cotliard who used to not speak English, and now she does so well. I look forward to watching this movie with English subtitles on blu-ray, especially during Watanabe's scenes.

I liked how they used the Edith Piaf song since Marion Cotliard got her Oscar playing Edith.

Does anyone think that Nolan intentionally wrote this like a "choose your own adventure book", meaning that he wrote so that there are many different interpretations? For example, if someone asked him to explain the movie, would he list all the different interpretations because he wrote it in that way to clearly have many interpretations?
Old 07-19-10, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I agree - his English threw me off. I could barely understand one word he was saying. He needs to ge the same language teacher as Marion Cotliard who used to not speak English, and now she does so well. I look forward to watching this movie with English subtitles on blu-ray, especially during Watanabe's scenes.
It didn't make it any easier that Watanabe was dying throughout most the film which made his dialog even more difficult to understand. I had to really focus in order to understand his lines, but there were a couple of moments where it just sounded like mumbles.
Old 07-19-10, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For people complaining about all the bullets being shot and not getting hit, thats how dreams realistically are in "people trying to chase and kill me" dreams. For me at least. My action dreams are always like cliched action movies - a lot of close calls and running away and not getting hurt.
Old 07-19-10, 07:12 AM

Does anyone think that Nolan intentionally wrote this like a "choose your own adventure book", meaning that he wrote so that there are many different interpretations? For example, if someone asked him to explain the movie, would he list all the different interpretations because he wrote it in that way to clearly have many interpretations?
Absolutely! He probably knew that it would prompt so many discussions as well.
Old 07-19-10, 07:13 AM

For people complaining about all the bullets being shot and not getting hit, thats how dreams realistically are in "people trying to chase and kill me" dreams. For me at least. My action dreams are always like cliched action movies - a lot of close calls and running away and not getting hurt.
I totally agree. In my dreams if I have a gun it's only going to work 50% of the time because it's jammed or broken. That's just how my dreams go.
Old 07-19-10, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Agreed.

And damn, that "zero gravity" fight in the hotel was one of the coolest things I have seen in a film in a looooooong time.

Plus, kudos to Nolan for delivering a film that was not condescending in its explanations.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 07-19-10 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-19-10, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I aboslutely loved this movie -- the ending was top notch.

I wanted to believe that the totem was falling over but the way the scene played out, the kids looked too much like his memories to be anything but a dream.
Old 07-19-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loved this movie, way better than Avatar. Where avatar was a visual movie, this had a great story.
Old 07-19-10, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
The shot of the childern is simlar. But were they wearing the same clothes? I'll have to take note when I'm watching next time. He does these "missions" in an hour-or-so. Who's to say that he's been out of the USA for more than a couple months?
I was under the impression that Cobb didn't get into the business of extraction until after he fled the country. I'm not sure his reputation could rise to the level of being so good at extraction that his clients would not expect failure in just a couple months.
Old 07-19-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ardathbey
The best theory I came up with is that when they went to get the chemist in Mombasa, Cobb wanted to be put under to try it out. He quickly gets effed by some Mal memories and appears to wake up in shock and go splash his face with water. He goes to spin his top but before he could, Saito interrupts. Cobb never gets to prove he came out of it and thus the rest is a dream.

And I agree with whoever said there is proof in the end that it's a dream is that the children are wearing the same out fits and are in the same spot/lighting as in all of Cobb's other dreams.

That is exactly what i thought too. I said to myself, its a dream from here on in.
Old 07-19-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the movie was cool as hell. I loved the 'zero gravity' fight scene, it just felt so awesome.
Old 07-19-10, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I thought the movie was cool as hell. I loved the 'zero gravity' fight scene, it just felt so awesome.
I couldn't help but think about Matrix Reloaded, all of the hype surrounding the 'Burly Brawl' and the movie's uncopyable, unprecedented effects but it ended up being a huge, CG, artificial mess.

The 'zero gravity' fight scene was beyond original. I had such a huge smile on my face when it was over. I know there had to be some CGI involved, but for the most part it looked like practical effects. I wish more filmmakers would get it into their heads that CG can be used to enhance a scene, but the practical, real-life effects connect with the audience!

I can't wait to see it again this week.
Old 07-19-10, 10:12 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Question regarding the ending...
Spoiler:
Did the top really start to wobble in the last couple frames, or is just that we wanted it to wobble...? Kind of like the ending of Seven where...
Spoiler:
you never actually see Gweneth's head in the box, but David Fincher actually had people write to him and complain because they thought there was a shot of that?

Old 07-19-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Question regarding the ending...
Spoiler:
Did the top really start to wobble in the last couple frames, or is just that we wanted it to wobble...? Kind of like the ending of Seven where...
Spoiler:
you never actually see Gweneth's head in the box, but David Fincher actually had people write to him and complain because they thought there was a shot of that?

Spoiler:
it did wobble a bit yes but kept going and blank screen, its one of those ending where you have to decide for yourself whether it was a dream or not

[/SPOILER][/QUOTE
Old 07-19-10, 11:14 AM

Received 1,908 Likes on 1,127 Posts

My wife and I saw it last night with a pretty packed theater. We're still talking about it the next day, which is what a good movie is supposed to do so it did it's job.
Overall, I enjoyed it. Great story. But there is one thing I didn't understand:

Spoiler:
Did Lardass have to pay to get into the contest?
Old 07-19-10, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ardathbey
JGL is the man and is on the cusp of being a mega star.
Brick is one my favorite movies, so I was actually hoping for more JGL, especially after GI Joe. IMO, he wasn't used enough in Inception. I don't have anything against Leo, but I think I'd have enjoyed the movie more if JGL had the lead.
Originally Posted by Blu Man
Armond White's review is now up. I've just started reading it. He actually writes like a child with down syndrome. He can't even get the capitalization's of names correct and has mistaken "sub-conscience" with "unconscious". And that's just in the second paragraph.

http://www.nypress.com/article-21420...inception.html

Edit: Finished the article. Jesus Christ this guy writes like English is his second language.
Are you trying to say that you're Arnold White, or are the mistakes in your post supposed to be ironical?
Old 07-19-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If anyone wants to see more of Tom Hardy, rent Bronson. I just rented it today and he is just crazy amazing in the film. He is gonna get big!

I liked how Nolan gave action scenes to each leading man at the end of Inception. One for Leavett (no gravity scene) and one for Hardy (the snow scene). It shows that they can both be leading men for action movies.
Old 07-19-10, 12:59 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Does anyone think that Nolan intentionally wrote this like a "choose your own adventure book", meaning that he wrote so that there are many different interpretations?
Old 07-19-10, 01:00 PM

Yeah, Inception got me excited about seeing Hardy take the lead in the next two Mad Max films.
Old 07-19-10, 01:01 PM

That's awesome.
Old 07-19-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
My wife and I saw it last night with a pretty packed theater. We're still talking about it the next day, which is what a good movie is supposed to do so it did it's job.
Overall, I enjoyed it. Great story. But there is one thing I didn't understand:

Spoiler:
Did Lardass have to pay to get into the contest?
VERN!!!!
Old 07-19-10, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Not to mention the fact that they are the same damn age. He was on the run for quite some time, made it seem like years. Same age, same clothes, same position = dream.
IMDB lists two sets of actors for the children, with about a 2 year age gap.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.