Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inception Review Poll
52.31%
33.46%
8.85%
3.08%
1.15%
0.38%
No fighting robots? Screw this...
0.77%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Old 07-13-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I think critics will react positively to Inception because they won't be able to deny how effective it is as an action movie, and how fantastic the visuals are on the big screen. And in a world where the Transformers movies make billions of dollars, critics will want to support an effects-heavy actioner that never insults the viewer's intelligence.

No jive talking robots= no sell for me man!

(of course I'm being sarcastic)
Old 07-13-10, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
No jive talking robots= no sell for me man!

(of course I'm being sarcastic)
dan30oly's not.
Old 07-13-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
dan30oly's not.
That the dude who thought Transformers 2 was the best movie of the year in 2009?
Old 07-13-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
That the dude who thought Tranformers 2 was the best movie of the year?
Yep, and Avatar was the worst. He also hated Memento.

Armond White's review is now up. I've just started reading it. He actually writes like a child with down syndrome. He can't even get the capitalization's of names correct and has mistaken "sub-conscience" with "unconscious". And that's just in the second paragraph.

http://www.nypress.com/article-21420...inception.html

Edit: Finished the article. Jesus Christ this guy writes like English is his second language. It's like at times he just throws random words together and ends with, "may seem classical to naive film watchers". At one point he says, "Inception manipulates the digital audience’s delectation for relentless subterfuge." What the fuck does that even mean? Digital audience? Is this guy on dope when he writes about and watches movies?

Last edited by Blu Man; 07-13-10 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-13-10, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think critics will react positively to Inception because they won't be able to deny how effective it is as an action movie, and how fantastic the visuals are on the big screen. And in a world where the Transformers movies make billions of dollars, critics will want to support an effects-heavy actioner that never insults the viewer's intelligence.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that Dr. DVD meant that the critics will rave, and the audiences will be confused.
Old 07-13-10, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Agreed. I enjoyed Insomnia quite a bit. But a lot of people who liked the original didn't like Nolan's version which is the cause of it being considered one of his lesser works.
I think both are good. I think the original Swedish version is cold and clammy and haunting, particularly in its emotional detachment from everything, and I think the American version wears you down, fatigues you, putting you in Dormer's shoes.
Old 07-13-10, 11:08 PM
Banned

Armond White's review is now up. I've just started reading it. He actually writes like a child with down syndrome. He can't even get the capitalization's of names correct and has mistaken "sub-conscience" with "unconscious". And that's just in the second paragraph.

Edit: Finished the article. Jesus Christ this guy writes like English is his second language. It's like at times he just throws random words together and ends with, "may seem classical to naive film watchers". At one point he says, "Inception manipulates the digital audience’s delectation for relentless subterfuge." What the fuck does that even mean? Digital audience? Is this guy on dope when he writes about and watches movies?
He actually gave it a positive review right? Two and a half stars is positive right?

It seems like the New York critics are the only ones giving it a bad review.
Old 07-13-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bootsy
He actually gave it a positive review right? Two and a half stars is positive right?

It seems like the New York critics are the only ones giving it a bad review.
Doubt it. 50-50, I guess it's up to RT's whether they decide to consider it positive or negative. But by reading it, it's a very thoughtless, rambling, negative review.
Old 07-13-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah it sure doesn't read like a positive review.
Old 07-13-10, 11:12 PM
Banned

Doubt it. 50-50, I guess it's up to RT's whether they decide to consider it positive or negative. But by reading it, it's a very thoughtless, rambling, negative review.
Yeah it is all over the place as are all of the negative reviews I have seen so far. It seems like those particular already decided they weren't going to like it before even seeing it.
Old 07-13-10, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,092 Likes on 789 Posts

In the movie, they refer to the part of the mind in which they are accessing the dreams as the Subconscious, but that was sloppy and inaccurate use of terminology on Nolan's part. The correct term is the Unconscious. It's proper for White to correct Nolan's mistake in his review.
Old 07-14-10, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the movie, they refer to the part of the mind in which they are accessing the dreams as the Subconscious, but that was sloppy and inaccurate use of terminology on Nolan's part. The correct term is the Unconscious. It's proper for White to correct Nolan's mistake in his review.
Gonna have to disagree with you on this. The meanings of the words very similar, both could be used, so I don't think it is a "sloppy" use of terminology. Both have the root meaning of being a part of the mind that is not accessible but controls emotions and behavior. Either word could have been used in the film.
Old 07-14-10, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap, that's the first White review I've tried reading. I had to stop after the second paragraph, because the crazy capitalizations were messing with my mind.
Old 07-14-10, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

The rating on the page is determined by readers, it's not Armond's score.
Old 07-14-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,092 Likes on 789 Posts

Gonna have to disagree with you on this. The meanings of the words very similar, both could be used, so I don't think it is a "sloppy" use of terminology. Both have the root meaning of being a part of the mind that is not accessible but controls emotions and behavior. Either word could have been used in the film.
The meanings of the words are similar (or the same) as they are used in common parlance, but it is simply incorrect for someone discussing the levels of consciousness in a scientific context use the term "subconscious".

If your cardiologist ever starts talking about replacing a "doorway" in your heart, instead of a "valve", run away.
Old 07-14-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Somebody get that man a 'period'. His keyboard is obviously broken. He had to punctuate nearly that entire review with dashes, colons, and semicolons. It reads more like a blog than a newspaper article.
Old 07-14-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rex Reed on Nolan and Inception:

Writer-director Nolan is an elegant Hollywood hack from London whose movies are a colossal waste of time, money and I.Q. points. "Elegant" because his work always has a crisp use of color, shading and shadows, and "hack" because he always takes an expensive germ of an idea, reduces it to a series of cheap gimmicks and shreds it through a Cuisinart until it looks and sounds like every other incoherent empty B-movie made by people who haven't got a clue about plot, character development or narrative trajectory. Like other Christopher Nolan head scratchers-the brainless Memento, the perilously inert Insomnia, the contrived illusionist thriller The Prestige, the idiotic Batman Begins and the mechanical, maniacally baffling and laughably overrated The Dark Knight-this latest deadly exercise in smart-aleck filmmaking without purpose from Mr. Nolan's scrambled eggs for brains makes no sense whatsoever. Is it clear that I have consistently hated his movies without exception, and I have yet to see one of them that makes one lick of sense. It's difficult to believe he didn't also write, direct and produce the unthinkable Synecdoche, New York. But as usual, like bottom feeder Charlie Kaufman, Mr. Nolan's reputation as an arrogant maverick draws a first-rate cast of players, none of whom have an inkling of what they're doing or what this movie is about in the first place, and all of whom have been seen to better advantage elsewhere. Especially Leonardo DiCaprio, who remains one of the screen's most gullible talents. After his recent debacle in Shutter Island, Martin Scorsese's dopey insane-asylum bomb, one hoped for something more substantial from the easily misled Leo, not another deranged turkey like Inception. He should have stayed in bed.
http://www.observer.com/2010/culture...n-inception-me

Last edited by DGibFen; 07-14-10 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-14-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Rex Reed was Armond White before there was an Armond White. Good to see he's still kicking. Some people just don't like movies that deviate from the norm.

Originally Posted by Rex Reed
He's got vision, but creating jigsaw puzzles nobody can figure out...
Yeah, he's a special guy.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-14-10 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-14-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The fact that both Rex Reed and Armond White hated this movie can only mean one thing:

It's going to be great!
Old 07-14-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I guess it's up to RT's whether they decide to consider it positive or negative.
I add reviews to RT (although DVDTalk does not yet contribute to the Tomatometer). Whoever submits the review (Armond may let someone else at The NY Press do it for him) selects "Rotten" or "Fresh", their score, and pull quote.
Old 07-14-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I add reviews to RT (although DVDTalk does not yet contribute to the Tomatometer). Whoever submits the review (Armond may let someone else at The NY Press do it for him) selects "Rotten" or "Fresh", their score, and pull quote.
Ah, nice to know.
Old 07-14-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For anyone that has already seen the movie, is the music in the trailer similar or same as the music in the movie?
Old 07-14-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
For anyone that has already seen the movie, is the music in the trailer similar or same as the music in the movie?
Music is on iTunes. Plus you can listen to ever song from the soundtrack on Youtube. But to answer the question (listened to the soundtrack, haven't seen the film), yes it's very similar.
Old 07-14-10, 03:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My first impressions of the film: Incredibly shot, well performed, and the least impressed I've been with a Nolan film since Insomnia (although it is significantly better than Insomnia). It's shockingly straight forward, with no real surprises. It has several flawlessly executed sequences that will make you say wow, but it mostly leads up to a good film and not a great one. I'll be seeing it again tonight for work, and I'll write my review after the second viewing, but as it stands right now it's definitely not my favorite film of the year, or even the best film Leonardo DiCaprio has been in this year.
Old 07-14-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I see that I'm being referred to here.

I'm likely going to see this Friday evening and will give my review of it shortly afterward (sometime this weekend).

I really don't know what to make of this movie, but will give it a chance.

However, last time I wasn't expecting much from a movie I saw in the theater was Avatar and we all know how that turned out.

I just really hope this turns out better than the last Leo film I saw - Shutter Island - that movie was absolute garbage.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.