Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inception Review Poll
52.31%
33.46%
8.85%
3.08%
1.15%
0.38%
No fighting robots? Screw this...
0.77%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-11, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Chaza
I watched Existenz a few days ago, and it was a much better film than Inception imo. Inception would have been a good 90-100 minute film, but it was really way too long.
Oh, I love Existenz not nearly as much Inception, but it's a great movie. I have admit though, I have to be in a particular frame of mind to watch a Cronenberg movie.

Last edited by iggystar; 08-09-11 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-09-11, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I watched eXistenZ again the other day as well (got added to Netflix Instant), first off - there needs to be a blu-ray release of it - second off it's always been one of my favorites but I didn't realize just how similar it and Inception are.
Old 08-09-11, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Everyone knew it was going to be popular well before it was released. The fanboys had worked themselves into a frenzy and the studio knew this would make a shit ton of money even in middle America. A big budgeted event film by the maker of The Dark Knight? No mystery there.

The blow back was not because the movie was popular, it was because the film wasn't that great.
Wrong! No everyone didn't know this movie was going to be popular. Certainly not almost making $300 million domestically popular. Most people including me didn't know what to expect from this movie. We knew it was about going into people's dreams but we didn't know the depths and the backstory. I can remember seeing the 2nd trailer at a movie I went to and it getting no reaction from the audience. Some people even laughing at it. People didn't know what to expect. For you to say that you and others knew is a complete lie.

Furthermore this whole 'fanboy' shit. I get so sick of seeing that especially with Nolan. Look if we like most or all of Nolan's movies it doesn't mean we are fanboys, it means we appreciate good and sometimes great quality work. Not because we are fanboys. There is only one Nolan movie where I haven't been completely on board and that is Insomnia. Whoops I guess that revokes my Nolan fanboy membership.

The blowback is neither of what you mentioned. I just think because it was popular and hugely successful that automatically in your mind makes it overrated. If it wasn't and let's say performed like Super 8 it wouldn't be getting as much backlash. This is a common trait with people. The more successful and popular something is the more backlash it will get. I loved Inception, it is one of my favorites movies and anytime it is on I am immediately drawn to it and will watch it. I guess that makes me a fanboy.

Last edited by bootsy; 08-09-11 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-09-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved it when I saw it in the theaters. Still loved it when I bought it on Blu. And whenever it's on HBO--even in SD --I find myself watching it. The assembly of the team leading up to going on the plane is one of my favorite sequences.

Only bad thing I can say about it is that I wish we could've gotten a great behind the scenes documentary on the making of it. Especially the Arthur dream sequence.
Old 08-09-11, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah...the BD really needed a great making of cuz the stuff they did on a technical level was great. Would've loved to see more of what the BD showed.
Old 08-09-11, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by bootsy
Wrong! No everyone didn't know this movie was going to be popular. Certainly not almost making $300 million domestically popular. Most people including me didn't know what to expect from this movie. We knew it was about going into people's dreams but we didn't know the depths and the backstory. I can remember seeing the 2nd trailer at a movie I went to and it getting no reaction from the audience. Some people even laughing at it. People didn't know what to expect. For you to say that you and others knew is a complete lie.

Furthermore this whole 'fanboy' shit. I get so sick of seeing that especially with Nolan. Look if we like most or all of Nolan's movies it doesn't mean we are fanboys, it means we appreciate good and sometimes great quality work. Not because we are fanboys. There is only one Nolan movie where I haven't been completely on board and that is Insomnia. Whoops I guess that revokes my Nolan fanboy membership.

The blowback is neither of what you mentioned. I just think because it was popular and hugely successful that automatically in your mind makes it overrated. If it wasn't and let's say performed like Super 8 it wouldn't be getting as much backlash. This is a common trait with people. The more successful and popular something is the more backlash it will get. I loved Inception, it is one of my favorites movies and anytime it is on I am immediately drawn to it and will watch it. I guess that makes me a fanboy.
Actually, the more of Nolan's movies I like, the more I expect the next one to be a failure. Just how many movies in a row can he continue to impress me? The bar is set so high that I just assume the next cannot measure up. Inception and The Dark Knight were so amazing that if Dark Knit Rises doesn't up the ante, I'm going to be disappointed.

I was shocked at how much I loved Inception. I didn't get the trailer, it didn't do anything to make it a "must see" outside of the fact that Nolan directed it.
Old 08-09-11, 02:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by iggystar
Actually, the more of Nolan's movies I like, the more I expect the next one to be a failure. Just how many movies in a row can he continue to impress me? The bar is set so high that I just assume the next cannot measure up. Inception and The Dark Knight were so amazing that if Dark Knit Rises doesn't up the ante, I'm going to be disappointed.

I was shocked at how much I loved Inception. I didn't get the trailer, it didn't do anything to make it a "must see" outside of the fact that Nolan directed it.
I really wasn't shocked. I think because the trailers were all very well done. You could see the buildup in the trailers. Each one gave you a little more. My only fear was I was too hyped for it that I would be let down. Fortunately that wasn't the case.
Old 08-09-11, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

This has been a trend in movie criticism long before hipsters were drinking PBR. Inception was guaranteed no success. It's a high-concept, thinking man's science-fiction movie. The only thing we really knew about it going in is that it would probably be confusing. I remember a lot of Nolan fans were worried it would be a financial flop and that might hurt his clout with WB. The success of Inception was really astounding.
Old 08-09-11, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe

It's a high-concept, thinking man's science-fiction movie. The only thing we really knew about it going in is that it would probably be confusing.
Nothing about it was confusing. It was pretty straight forward. I wouldn't exactly call it a thinking man's SF movie either.
Old 08-09-11, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nothing about it was confusing. It was pretty straight forward. I wouldn't exactly call it a thinking man's SF movie either.
I was just about to post the same thing. I didn't find it challenging or confusing at all. If anything, it was rather predictable.
Old 08-09-11, 05:15 PM

I really wasn't shocked. I think because the trailers were all very well done. You could see the buildup in the trailers. Each one gave you a little more. My only fear was I was too hyped for it that I would be let down. Fortunately that wasn't the case.
Well, I'm not a huge trailer person...they spoil so much. I watched it once and it looked interesting enough, but I wasn't expecting it to be my favorite movie of the year and at the top of my all-time favorite list.
Old 08-09-11, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I was just about to post the same thing. I didn't find it challenging or confusing at all. If anything, it was rather predictable.
Well, it was a hell of a lot better than Jumper or Wanted, but overall I felt it was obtuse simply to be trendy, almost experimental. It didn't work for me, and I like a lot of sci-fi/fantasy/whatever you call this type of movie.

And the last shot was a total cop-out.
Old 08-09-11, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jason
Well, it was a hell of a lot better than Jumper or Wanted, but overall I felt it was obtuse simply to be trendy, almost experimental. It didn't work for me, and I like a lot of sci-fi/fantasy/whatever you call this type of movie.

If you feel this way you missed the point of the movie.
Old 08-09-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't seen Jumper or Wanted, so I'll defer to you on them, but it sounds like we are of the same opinion on Inception.
Old 08-09-11, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the last shot was the best part of the movie.
Old 08-10-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Congratulations. However, the film was very confusing for a great many people. This is obvious to anybody who read online discussions of the film.
Old 08-10-11, 11:03 AM

Congratulations. However, the film was very confusing for a great many people. This is obvious to anybody who read online discussions of the film.

While I wasn't all that confused (although, I thought it was a lot to take in on the big screen after watching it the first time) I can think of several instances where people told me they found the movie at least a little confusing. I mean, it isn't exactly Synecdoche, New York, but It's definitely not on the same level with a typical Jason Statham action flick either.
Old 08-10-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't get how anyone could find the movie confusing (and coincidentally, don't know anyone who did). They explain every single tiny detail about whats happening multiple times throughout the movie.

The only part I think could pass as potentially confusing is the chase sequence when Cobb finds Eames, and thats because they don't repeat the reason for it 20 times.
Old 08-10-11, 11:18 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It's a high-concept, thinking man's science-fiction movie.
People always throw around the term high-concept like it's a good thing. High-concept means slick and manufactured, easily distilled to one single idea. If you're trying to say the film is complex or high-minded you shouldn't say high concept. High concept is when some ass hole walks into a movie execs office and says, "What if there were snakes on a plane?"

From Wiki
a high concept narrative is often used as a "safe" option to avoid the risk of alienating audiences with a convoluted or overly taxing plot exposition.
One could certainly make the arguemnt that Inception IS high concept, but that would be a criticism of the film.
Old 08-10-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I don't get how anyone could find the movie confusing (and coincidentally, don't know anyone who did). They explain every single tiny detail about whats happening multiple times throughout the movie.

The only part I think could pass as potentially confusing is the chase sequence when Cobb finds Eames, and thats because they don't repeat the reason for it 20 times.
It sure is easy to claim how predictable and easy to understand the movie was over a year after it's release, but I remember much debate and confusion just after it was released. I bet if we were to discuss the rules and consequences of Limbo in this thread we'd struggle to come to a consensus.

If the film was so straight forward, why were there such heated debates on the internet about the rules of the dream world and limbo? Why were so many charts created to help people understand Inception? Doesn't anybody remember these?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 08-10-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
While everything is explained along the way, there ends up being a lot to keep track of and understand about what is explained. It does require a certain level of concentration that some (perhaps, most) film-goers don't typically apply when watching a movie. I've encountered a number of people who didn't think they were confused about anything in the movie, but discussions revealed that they missed or misunderstood some of the concepts and details (like whose dream they're in at each level, what rules apply to limbo, etc).

Whether this makes it "thinking-man's sci-fi" is up for debate. I think many would associate that term with films that use sci-fi elements to explore deeper existential themes.
Old 08-10-11, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Really, Inception is basically a heist flick (although what they did was more akin to planting evidence and/or brainwashing than any actual theft). It has some interesting sci-fi concepts mixed in but the science takes a backseat to Cobb's story and the caper itself.

As for it being cold, I don't see it that way at all. You have Cobb's plight (the guilt over his wife's death and his desperation to get back to his children) which is easily relatable even if you aren't a parent or lost a spouse. You have his friends (Eames and Arthur) desperately trying to survive the dire situation in which Cobb has unintentionally placed them. You have Ariadne drawn into what she understands is a dangerous situation (allowing her to share her mind with someone as unstable as Cobb) because she's drawn to the wonder of something like the Dream Share. And you have the cathartic journey of Robert Fisher as he yearns for his father's love and acceptance.

I dunno what else people could have wanted.

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-10-11 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-10-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Really, Inception is basically a heist flick (although what they did was more akin to planting evidence and/or brainwashing than any actual theft). It has some interesting sci-fi concepts mixed in but the sceience takes a backseat to Cobb's story and the caper itself.

As for it being cold, I don't see it that way at all. You have Cobb's plight (the guilt over his wife's death and his desperation to get back to his children) which is easily relatable even if you aren't a parent or lost a spouse. You have his friends (Eames and Arthur) desperately trying to survive the dire situation in which Cobb has unintentionally placed them. You have Ariadne drawn into what she understands is a dangerous situation (allowing her to share her mind with someone as unstable as Cobb) because she's drawn to the wonder of something like the Dream Share. And you have the cathartic journey of Robert Fisher as he yearns for his father's love and acceptance.

I dunno what else people could have wanted.
It's the internet, people like to complain about whats popular until it's something they love. Take for instance the number of passes Star Wars Episode 3 gets, sure it's better than I and II but it's still an incredible chore to sit through.
Old 08-10-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
People always throw around the term high-concept like it's a good thing. High-concept means slick and manufactured, easily distilled to one single idea. If you're trying to say the film is complex or high-minded you shouldn't say high concept. High concept is when some ass hole walks into a movie execs office and says, "What if there were snakes on a plane?"
You're right, I had the term on my mind because of a novel I'm reading about an aging action star. High concept was the wrong term to use.

I know you didn't say this, but other disagreed that it's a thinking man's SCI-FI flick. It is. It was marketed as a SCI-Fi flick, it may not be as fantastical as The Matrix, but that's what it is. Yes, it's a thinking man's action movie as well. Look at The Expendables and then look at Inception, for an action/sci-fi blockbuster, it's very intelligent.
Old 08-10-11, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know what irks me about Inception? It was a movie. They should've made a whole new form of media for it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.