Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inception Review Poll
52.31%
33.46%
8.85%
3.08%
1.15%
0.38%
No fighting robots? Screw this...
0.77%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 11:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

I know plenty of people who think the ending of Minority Report is not a dream.
Old 08-08-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't like this movie at all but it's not really my kind of thing to begin with. I'm surprised it's ranked #3 on IMDB, right below the Godfather. I expect it to sink in the ratings after a few weeks/months when the hype dies.
Old 08-08-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by statcat
I didn't like this movie at all but it's not really my kind of thing to begin with. I'm surprised it's ranked #3 on IMDB, right below the Godfather. I expect it to sink in the ratings after a few weeks/months when the hype dies.
Well, that generally happens anyway since you can't sustain constant 9 or 10/10 ratings, if people give it a 7 or 8/10, that alone will drop the average. The Dark Knight was #1 for a while -- longer than I expected --, then dropped within the top 5 and it's now #12. Same thing with Lord of the Rings.

But it seems that if people were generally going against Inception, it would be having larger drops and in its fourth weekend now, it only has a 32.3% drop (weekend 2: 32.0%, weekend 3: 35.7%), so I don't see it dropping that much.

Last edited by TheMovieman; 08-08-10 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-08-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few questions regarding Inception...

1) How are different people supposed to be able to exist in limbo together even if they didn't all go there at the same time or by the same mechanism? Is this supposed to be some form of hive mind idea?

2) How could Cobb and Ariadne go to limbo by using one of their little dream boxes when the other characters had to die while sedated to get in there?

3) Why is everything in limbo from the imagination of Cobb? Surely he and his wife aren't the only ones who have gone there. Is the suggestion that this is an actual place that anyone can visit but that nobody has since the time Cobb and his wife were there?

4) Why is Michael Caine in the movie for only 2 minutes. And why does he appear at the airport right at the end when he hasn't been in on the mission (supposedly) at all?

5) If Cobb is in fact dreaming the entire thing then does that mean all of the other characters are constructs of his imagination as well? In that case shouldn't there be more bizarre "dreamlike" aspects to the story - people with horses heads, famous animated characters and the like? The idea of an artificial maze dream world with tightly controlled limits negates this point but not if Cobb is in fact dreaming the entire story (except perhaps the ending).
Old 08-08-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Sort of answering BT (and I'm sure mentioned in one of the 31 pages of this thread that I didn't read since I only saw the movie 24 hours ago), but my first impression was the the WHOLE movie was a dream. When I found out that Page's character was named Ariadne, that was another big clue to me. As might have been mentioned, Ariadne let Theseus out of the labyrinth.

So here's a sort of explanation of Inception:

* Dom is stuck in limbo and refuses to leave
* A trusted avatar (his father) sends in Ariadne to help get him out
* Dom instantly trusts Ariadne because he can identify with her talents in the dreamscape
* Ariadne then leads Dom out of Limbo through the Fischer construct (by making it so Dom thinks that he is working out of Fischer's limbo, not his own)
* The ending is real, he is finally out of limbo

We'll never really know for sure unless Nolan ever says (and he won't). So my interpretation can be as right or as wrong as possible.
Old 08-08-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'll have to rewatch it. I don't remember it ever being ambiguous and it was never mentioned when I talked to friends and family about the movie.
Old 08-08-10, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen Minority Report a bunch of times and it never once entered my mind that the ending was a dream. Never once ocurred to me to go that route, but I guess that could be the case.
Old 08-08-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

There was a decent thread here about the Minority Report ending. Personally, I don't buy it, but its an interesting theory.
Old 08-08-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Right. I'm not saying the ending Minority Report was a dream. I'm just saying I remember that the question did come up in the MR thread years ago and Inception's ending made me think of this.
Old 08-08-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
A few questions regarding Inception...

1) How are different people supposed to be able to exist in limbo together even if they didn't all go there at the same time or by the same mechanism? Is this supposed to be some form of hive mind idea?

2) How could Cobb and Ariadne go to limbo by using one of their little dream boxes when the other characters had to die while sedated to get in there?

3) Why is everything in limbo from the imagination of Cobb? Surely he and his wife aren't the only ones who have gone there. Is the suggestion that this is an actual place that anyone can visit but that nobody has since the time Cobb and his wife were there?

4) Why is Michael Caine in the movie for only 2 minutes. And why does he appear at the airport right at the end when he hasn't been in on the mission (supposedly) at all?

5) If Cobb is in fact dreaming the entire thing then does that mean all of the other characters are constructs of his imagination as well? In that case shouldn't there be more bizarre "dreamlike" aspects to the story - people with horses heads, famous animated characters and the like? The idea of an artificial maze dream world with tightly controlled limits negates this point but not if Cobb is in fact dreaming the entire story (except perhaps the ending).

2) I think they said that Cobb had been their before and this was why he could go again and even take someone with him.

3) See #2

4) Yeah I thought Caine was in France(A University Professor?) and the kids were with their Grandmother in America? Why was Caine suddenly in America? Reading DVD Josh's post may answer this...

5) Yeah, it's interesting that these characters had so much control. I mean we never saw a dragon or weird spaceship or anything.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-08-10 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-08-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I've seen Minority Report a bunch of times and it never once entered my mind that the ending was a dream. Never once ocurred to me to go that route, but I guess that could be the case.
I'm in the same boat. The times I have seen it, I never got an inkling that it was a dream either.
Old 08-08-10, 02:58 PM
Banned by request

Personally I think Minority Report ends terribly unless it's a dream, in which case, it works perfectly.

Here's a good summary of why I think it has to be a dream:

http://www.flakmag.com/film/spielberg/minority.html
Old 08-08-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I'm in the same boat. The times I have seen it, I never got an inkling that it was a dream either.
I believe most agree it wasn't a dream. But there were a few here on dvdtalk.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...rs-within.html
Old 08-08-10, 03:08 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I believe most agree it wasn't a dream.
Bah! Next you'll be telling me that Deckard was a Replicant!
Old 08-08-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally I think Minority Report ends terribly unless it's a dream, in which case, it works perfectly.
Not necessarily calling you out or anything, but it seems like often some people only think a movie ends well if it ends on a sour or downer note.

What's wrong with Minority Report ending somewhat happily? Why is it terrible if Tom Cruise doesn't end up wasting away in that frozen prison or whatever it was?

I'm sorry but I really can't think of any other examples off the top of my head, but I know there are examples out there where people just don't like an ambigious ending if it turns out to be happy, but if it ends up as a "sad" ending then it's brilliant.

Just looking at your statement...it's the same movie. One has a happy ending and one has a sad ending. Why is the happy ending terrible and the sad ending perfect?
Old 08-08-10, 03:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

As stated in another thread, there's an adolescent/film-student mentality that likes to re-interpret every movie to be a dream. It usually paves the way for deeper film criticism, so I guess there's no harm.
Old 08-08-10, 03:45 PM
Banned by request

Not necessarily calling you out or anything, but it seems like often some people only think a movie ends well if it ends on a sour or downer note.

What's wrong with Minority Report ending somewhat happily? Why is it terrible if Tom Cruise doesn't end up wasting away in that frozen prison or whatever it was?

I'm sorry but I really can't think of any other examples off the top of my head, but I know there are examples out there where people just don't like an ambigious ending if it turns out to be happy, but if it ends up as a "sad" ending then it's brilliant.

Just looking at your statement...it's the same movie. One has a happy ending and one has a sad ending. Why is the happy ending terrible and the sad ending perfect?
I'm certainly not opposed to a happy ending when it's warranted. Most romantic comedies wouldn't work if the ending was a downer. But the ending of Minority Report wraps things up into such a neat package, complete with big bow, that it's either outrageously poor storytelling or there's something deeper going on.

Spoiler:
At the end all the precogs are living together in a log cabin in the woods? Seriously?

Minority Report is a sci-fi noir, and noirs tend to end unhappily (not always, but often), and it's also based on a story by Philip K. Dick, a man not known for being all sunshine and roses.

So it's not that all happy endings are bad and all downer endings are good, it's about the context. And in the context of Minority Report, a happy ending doesn't play. Another great example is yet another Philip K. Dick sci-fi noir adaption, Blade Runner. The theatrical cut has a tacked on happy ending that is entirely as hokey as the ending of Minority Report. Take off the happy ending, and you get a film masterpiece. With Minority Report, if the ending is a dream, the movie makes sense.
Old 08-08-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Minority Report is a sci-fi noir, and noirs tend to end unhappily (not always, but often), and it's also based on a story by Philip K. Dick, a man not known for being all sunshine and roses.
Actually, the short story Minority Report, which the movie only tangentially resembles, had a happy ending for the protagonist.
Old 08-08-10, 03:58 PM
Banned by request

Whoops! Well aren't my cheeks red.

The rest of my points still stand.
Old 08-08-10, 04:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
There was a decent thread here about the Minority Report ending. Personally, I don't buy it, but its an interesting theory.
Same here. Enjoy the film and have seen it several times, never occured to me that it could be a dream ending. But after reading up on it a bit, sure, maybe. It would actually make me like the film a bit more if that is what he really meant.
Old 08-08-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bah! Next you'll be telling me that Deckard was a Replicant!

Nope. He only DREAMED he was a Replicant. Remember the Unicorn Origami? That was his Avatar.
Old 08-08-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho
As stated in another thread, there's an adolescent/film-student mentality that likes to re-interpret every movie to be a dream.
Welcome to DVDTALK. It's what many here do. Blame the TV show "DALLAS"

But seriously, I get what you're saying.

It usually paves the way for deeper film criticism, so I guess there's no harm.

[/thread] Groucho has spoken.
Old 08-08-10, 04:18 PM
Banned by request

Nope. He only DREAMED he was a Replicant. Remember the Unicorn Origami? That was his Avatar.
Old 08-08-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right. I'm not saying the ending Minority Report was a dream. I'm just saying I remember that the question did come up in the MR thread years ago and Inception's ending made me think of this.
In my opinion, I don't think the comparison is warranted. Inception's ambiguous ending had me thinking as soon as I left the theater and reminded me more of American Psycho.

Minority Report was always pretty concrete for years until I visited DVD Talk.
Old 08-08-10, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
In my opinion, I don't think the comparison is warranted. Inception's ambiguous ending had me thinking as soon as I left the theater and reminded me more of American Psycho.

Minority Report was always pretty concrete for years until I visited DVD Talk.

We will agree to disagree. In my opinion it's a fair comparison.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.