Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inception Review Poll
52.31%
33.46%
8.85%
3.08%
1.15%
0.38%
No fighting robots? Screw this...
0.77%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Old 07-25-10, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Apologies if this was already covered, but I thought it was pretty cool:

Edith Piaf vs. 'Inception's Mind Heist
holy shit...that's crazy awesome.
Old 07-25-10, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally saw this movie today. Basically, its the best movie so far this year.

Everything has been said already. So, I'll just add a few things. First, I did connect emotionally with Cobb. The movie is obviously about him, so it makes sense that he would be much more developed than the others. I'm not too disappointed that I didn't get to know the chemist better, for example. Secondly, the movie was very straightforward. Why was everyone so concerned that most people wouldn't get it? Is there really anyone out there who simply can't get this? Third, the hallway scene was absolutely awesome. And while the snow dream was the least interesting, the climax with all the compounding jeopardy really had me on the edge of my seat.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending. But I'm leaning towad Cobb is stuck in limbo or it was all a dream from the start. The kids at the end look exactly like in his memories/dreams down to the last detail. The "walls closing in" scene really seemed dreamlike to me, also. So, its one of those two for sure. No way he's in the real world at the end. *****/*****
Old 07-25-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RD1973
Secondly, the movie was very straightforward. Why was everyone so concerned that most people wouldn't get it? Is there really anyone out there who simply can't get this?
Originally Posted by RD1973
I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending. But I'm leaning towad Cobb is stuck in limbo or it was all a dream from the start. The kids at the end look exactly like in his memories/dreams down to the last detail. The "walls closing in" scene really seemed dreamlike to me, also. So, its one of those two for sure.
Old 07-25-10, 06:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Apologies if this was already covered, but I thought it was pretty cool:

Edith Piaf vs. 'Inception's Mind Heist
This is actually made explicit in the film itself if you sit all the way through the closing credits.
Old 07-25-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grrr
Did anyone else have issues with the sound mixing? Every five minutes or so I felt like I missed a key bit of dialogue thanks to obtrusive ambient noise or the score.
A lot of people are reporting that issue. Interestingly, all it took was sitting at a different spot of the theater for my second screening to correct probably 80% of the issues I had first time around, though a few dialogue bits that were still tough to hear. Reminds me of (go to the :43 mark):

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1zIY6DQSlbY&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1zIY6DQSlbY&hl=en_US&fs=1?color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 07-25-10, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...I've never had issues at my theater here. I think it's cuz my friend from class works at the theater and calibrates them for the films that matter the most to he and I..so say..Eat, Pray, Love...yeah..no attention from him. Inception..oh yeah..The Expendables...ooooh yeah.
Old 07-25-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grrr
Did anyone else have issues with the sound mixing? Every five minutes or so I felt like I missed a key bit of dialogue thanks to obtrusive ambient noise or the score.
Yes.

I found the dialogue slightly muffled in a few sequences. It did seem that the sound mixing was slightly off at times. I could still hear the dialogue...but my ears were definitely straining a bit. I was only aware of this a few times during the runtime though...not every five minutes.
Old 07-25-10, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Yes.

I found the dialogue slightly muffled in a few sequences. It did seem that the sound mixing was slightly off at times. I could still hear the dialogue...but my ears were definitely straining a bit. I was only aware of this a few times during the runtime though...not every five minutes.
Yup, a little hard to hear in regular theaters... I also struggled to understand almost all of Saito's and some of Mal's dialogue... That said, it was crystal clear in IMAX -- the sound improvement made it worth the extra $1.50 here, made the acting seem better as well. Could easily understand Saito and Mal as well.
Old 07-25-10, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by musick
Well, the ending is intentionally open-ended and can be interpreted in different ways. But I got everything else. The way critics were describing it, I was expecting something like Inland Empire.
Old 07-25-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got back from a second viewing, loved it as much as the first time. I think twice is enough for seeing it at the theater, but I eagerly await the Blu Ray release.

As for the sound issues, I had no problems. It's probably the projectionist, not the actual sound mix, as people who have seen the film in IMAX have stated.
Old 07-25-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

UNBELIEVABLE...that's the only way to say it. Inception was pure genius, start to finish. I even shelled otu $17.50 for IMAX and it was well worth every penny. This may be one of the best movies (all-in-all) that I've seen on the silver screen. Nolan certainly knows how to entertain. The man can do no (okay, little...I'm one of the few who didn't care for Insomnia, even after re-watching it last week) wrong.

Wow...just wow...
Old 07-25-10, 09:29 PM

Can someone explain the scene at the beginning with Leo and the old man, and then the scene near the end with the same characters? The old man, I assume was Watanabe. Correct ?
Old 07-25-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by siddd5
Can someone explain the scene at the beginning with Leo and the old man, and then the scene near the end with the same characters? The old man, I assume was Watanabe. Correct ?
Yes, it's Watanabe, what exactly do you want explained?
Old 07-25-10, 10:20 PM

As soon as they said if you die you will be stuck in limbo, I realized the opening scene was going to be addressed at the end.

noramlly i don;t get it quickly and I even told my girlfriend and she was like no way.

She apologized afterwards.

BTW I LOVED THE MOVIE.

Last edited by doctaheath78; 07-27-10 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-26-10, 12:07 AM
Suspended

Yes it was. He was older than Cobb becuse that was Cobb's second time entering Limbo after dying in all 3 "levels" including drowning in the van, all after Saito's death. Time moves very slow in limbo.

Last edited by Eva Kaine; 07-26-10 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-26-10, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Yes, it's Watanabe, what exactly do you want explained?
Since it was so hard to understand Watanabe, what was discussed in the scene. And what was the point in him being so old in those 2 scenes?

Last edited by siddd5; 07-26-10 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-26-10, 12:40 AM

Here's the full transcript:
Spoiler:
OLD MAN: "Welcome to Wonton Abe's, can I help you?"
LEO: "Why are you so old?"
OLD MAN: "Because I've been in limbo all these years."
LEO: (turns to the audience) Did that just blow your mind?
Old 07-26-10, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Here's the full transcript:
Spoiler:
OLD MAN: "Welcome to Wonton Abe's, can I help you?"
LEO: "Why are you so old?"
OLD MAN: "Because I've been in limbo all these years."
LEO: (turns to the audience) Did that just blow your mind?
Not your best work. Funny, I chuckled, but it could have been better.
Old 07-26-10, 10:51 AM
Cool New Member

I greatly enjoyed the film, although it was a struggle to keep up what with all the annoying people around me. The action sequences in the hotel was really amazing. Unfortunately, I had to leave theater before the ending, so I need to go back and see what people are buzzing about.
Old 07-26-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

My only problem and it is slight for such a technically gifted story and movie.

Spoiler:
As they proceeded to go deeper into Fischer's mind... with Fischer in tow. Why doesn't the top layer operative, Yusef, bend the rules of reality to outwit the defenses instead of having to drive around so much? Much like Ariadne changing her environment once she understood how to manipulate the reality of the dream, as well as Arthur using the loops to his advantage.
Old 07-26-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Reminds me of (go to the :43 mark):
That was genius and perfectly sums up us movie geeks!
Old 07-26-10, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
My only problem and it is slight for such a technically gifted story and movie.

Spoiler:
As they proceeded to go deeper into Fischer's mind... with Fischer in tow. Why doesn't the top layer operative, Yusef, bend the rules of reality to outwit the defenses instead of having to drive around so much? Much like Ariadne changing her environment once she understood how to manipulate the reality of the dream, as well as Arthur using the loops to his advantage.
This was actually explained:

Spoiler:
Manipulating the reality only accelerates the defenses of the sub-conscious.
Old 07-26-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
This was actually explained:

Spoiler:
Manipulating the reality only accelerates the defenses of the sub-conscious.
Spoiler:
Yes, but, that was for one level. As they also explained, the deeper you go, the more defenses. They went 4 levels. I would think that by bringing Fischer further into his mind, the focus of the defense would follow him, so that the upper levels, while not as relaxed, would not be as alerted to the bending of reality.

Arthur was already dealing with the bending caused by the level above him and able to use the loops to help. Why not Yusef?
Old 07-26-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
A movie loses a star if it doesn't have obligatory nudity? You must have trouble getting into the family fare stuff you see then!
Not necessarily. There are 5 categories, each worth one star:

1. Snake, Train or Indian - this is interpreted VERY liberally. A snake is a snake, a lizard, a snake-like thing, James Carville, Snake Plissken, an anthropomorphic garden hose, etc. A train is a choo-choo, or a subway, or a wagon train, or even a train on a wedding dress. An indian can be an aboriginal or Ghandi. It's very very hard for a movie to not get credit in this category.

2. Blatant Sex / Nudity - One half star for a glimpse of naughty bits. One full star for lots of naughty bits or naughty bits in action.

3. Destruction of Public Property - A mailbox or street lamp counts, so does a fighter jet or a bridge or a police car. In a movie involving communism, EVERYTHING is "public property" so there's a lot of opportunity. In a movie set in a monarchy, where everything is owned by the king/queen, not so much.

4. Good/Creative Mort - Someone has to die to get a half star. If it's unusual, a full star. No deaths, no stars.

5. Memorable Line - Can you recall at least ONE line from the movie 24 hours after you've seen it? One-half star if you can, one full star if you remember the context.

Simple.

Either a movie satisfies the requirements or it does not. If a movie is EXCEPTIONAL or exceeds the requirements of a category by a wide margin, it can earn a bonus half-star in as many as two different categories. So a movie with NO stars in one category can still earn 5 stars if it makes up for it in other ways. But no more than two bonus half-stars, each in different categories, and no more than 5 total stars. If a movie is a 5.5 or a 6, it's a 5.

Sample ratings:

Star Wars = 4.5 Stars
1. Snake, Train, Indian - STAR - the snake thing in the trash compactor room.
2. Blatant Sex / Nudity - NO STAR
3. Destruction of Public Property - STAR - Nothing belonging to the Empire counts, since it's all personally owned by the Emperor (that's the nature of an Empire). However, the destruction of Alderaan clearly counts.
4. Good/Creative Mort - STAR - Greedo getting blasted in the Cantina (he didn't shoot first) earns the minimum half-star, but Obi-Wan's death at the hands of Vader was creative enough to earn the full star
5. Memorable Line - STAR + BONUS - This movie has it in spades.

Some movies manage to cover multiple categories simultaneously. In =The Fugitive= we see a prison bus drive off the road into the path of an oncoming train where shackled prisoners who are unable to escape get flattened. Three stars in one scene.

This was based on the rating system allegedly used on the USS Eisenhower during a couple of tours in the early 80's as described to me by a member of VAQ-140, the Carrier Tactical EW Squadron out of NAS Oceana that garrisons the Ike. That system gave one star each for Snake, Train, Indian, Nudity and Mort. Since it tended to overweight westerns, I combined the first three into a single category and introduced Property and Line as two additional categories. Both the original and my modified systesm are skewed toward "guy flicks". Caddyshack and Stripes score highly, Philadelphia does not. Terminator and Alien beat out Ya-Ya Sisterhood and Fried Green Tomatoes. It's just the way it is.
Old 07-26-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I went to see The Killer Inside Me, and after I left the theater I was walking behind this old guy. We passed by a group of guys standing in front of an Inception poster and the old guy stops by them and says "don't see this confusing piece of shit, I just walked out"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.