Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inception Review Poll
52.31%
33.46%
8.85%
3.08%
1.15%
0.38%
No fighting robots? Screw this...
0.77%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Inception (Nolan, 2010)- The Reviews Thread

Who am I kidding, I have nothing to add to the gushing praise. I still don't think it's better than The Dark Knight, but it is a very fucking good, perhaps great film.
Old 07-22-10, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I'll be amazed if Nolan doesn't at least get nominated for Best Director..a Nomination I still think he deserved for TDK...even a win for it at that time. I want Nolan to get a damn Best Director Oscar for this.

This movie I would hope get some kind of recongnition from the Oscars. Instead of some of the crap they have given the nom in the past. I know its still early in the year but this movie definitely needs to be recognized.
Old 07-22-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Further dream theory: We never actually ever see the top stop spinning - the few times that we think it does, it's really just miss-direction and cut-aways to something else that make us think it's stopped spinning when it really hasn't.
Old 07-22-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Further dream theory: We never actually ever see the top stop spinning - the few times that we think it does, it's really just miss-direction and cut-aways to something else that make us think it's stopped spinning when it really hasn't.
I'm pretty sure we see it stop spinning once. In the hotel room after the Saito dream, he spins it on a table, holding his gun near his head and keeping it there until the top stops.
Old 07-22-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

I haven't actually weighed in with my thoughts, so I'll do that now. I intentionally went into Inception with very few expectations. I'd seen the trailer and read nothing, so basically I just knew who was involved and that it had something to do with dreams.

In short, I loved it. I haven't had such an exhilarating and intense theatrical experience in a long time. There were multiple sequences in the film that were literally jaw-dropping for me. The varation-on-a-heist-movie plot worked really well and the relatively complicated fictional mechanics of shared/lucid dreaming were presented in a way that did require me to think, but never bogged things down. I thought Cobb's pathos was introduced and developed wonderfully and offered plenty of emotional involvement for me to stay interested and care about the outcome. This was a movie that engaged my senses, my emotions, and my brain in a way that most movies don't. As is almost always the case, it wasn't perfect, but none of its minor flaws took me out of the movie while watching it - I was completely immersed the whole time and enjoyed being taken on one heck of a ride. It's a movie that I think I'll appreciate even more on multiple viewings and I can't wait to see it again.
Old 07-22-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Unless something truly amazing comes along, it will be a crime if he doesn't walk away with an Oscar for that score. A large portion of the film really works as well as it does because of the score.
Wow, thought the score was completely unremarkable. In fact, several times in the movie I remember distinctly disliking the score and thinking a different composer would have been a better choice. An Oscar for this score would be a crime.

The more time goes on the less I like the movie. It makes me feel like the butt of the "pink elephant joke". I just completely do not get the incredibly effusive praise this movie gets. I just don't see it.

I find the movie very proficient technically, but intensely sterile and clinical. I thought the characters were very one note and there is no connection for me with any of them. In fact, Page is purely an expositionary prop: a character whose only purpose is to ask questions to provide the "rules" of the movie to the audience. It was very cloying.

In fact I think it is the rules and extemely rigid structure of the movie that makes it fail for me. The director seems to be trying to impose a logic and structure to the most free form and unstructured of all experiences- a dream.
It's like a very dry intellectual thesis to try and define and categorize something that he does not really understand at all. This conceit did not fit with me at all, and to be honest the whole concept is silly.

This structure flows through to the dream "mazes" which are completely unimaginative and rigid, nothing at all dreamlike. I found them boring to be honest and not interesting or awe-inspiring in the least bit. In fact the most creative it gets is to allow the world to flip up on itself -again completely unimaginitive and rigid and way way too grounded in normal reality.

Then the plot setup is a complete disaster. So we are going to assemble a team to convince the son of a company's president to dismantle his corporate empire so that another company can completely take over the energy industry-seriously? It's just laughably stupid.

Cobb even organizes all his memories into floors on an elevator.

In the end, I couldn't really care whether he was in a dream or not, or whether he saw his kids or not. It is not a particularly compelling mystery it's just intentionally obtuse and vague. And a cop out.

This movie to me is really like a wax sculpture. It is expertly crafted and extremely detailed, but it is also heartless and in the end completely useless.

I guess having written this, I realize I kind of hate this movie. I just do not see at all what others see in this and all the fuss that is being made about it.
Old 07-22-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by roger_d
This movie I would hope get some kind of recongnition from the Oscars. Instead of some of the crap they have given the nom in the past. I know its still early in the year but this movie definitely needs to be recognized.
I can only see nominations for Best Picture, Directing (much harder to crack but perhaps as a 'we fucked up' admission for 2008), Editing and Supporting Actress (Cotillard). Maybe Original Screenplay where Nolan has been recognised before. That depends if they are favouring the dialogue side of screenwriting (serviceable), or the concept/storytelling aspect (amazing).
Old 07-22-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Wow, thought the score was completely unremarkable. In fact, several times in the movie I remember distinctly disliking the score and thinking a different composer would have been a better choice. An Oscar for this score would be a crime.

The more time goes on the less I like the movie. It makes me feel like the butt of the "pink elephant joke". I just completely do not get the incredibly effusive praise this movie gets. I just don't see it.
Disagree on both counts (though I don't think Zimmer's score should be nominated). I loved the score and the more I think about, the more I actually love the movie.

That statement, though, does describe my thoughts for Avatar as I didn't get anywhere near emotional after seeing it and in fact, started liking the movie even less as time wore on and I looked past the 3D spectacle, so I can see where you're coming from.
Old 07-22-10, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, thought the score was completely unremarkable.
BRRAAAAWWWWMMMM<beef>M
in fact, several times in the movie i remember distinctly disliking the score...
BRRAAAAWWWWMMMM<beef>M
... and thinking a different composer would have been a better choice. An oscar for this score would be a crime.
BRRAAAAWWWWMMMM<beef>M
Old 07-22-10, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol
Old 07-22-10, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-22-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

I just got back from Inception.

First, some background. I rarely see movies in theaters these days. A combination of lack of time, high prices, and having to share the theater with cell phone wielding chatty idiots really ruins the me-and-the-movie experience that I want. Plus, with a 9 y/o, when I do get to see a movie it's generally a kid flick. This is only the third movie this year I've seen - I saw Avatar while the wife and kid were visiting her folks, and we all saw Toy Story 3 with free tickets from buying the TS1/2 DVDs earlier this year. I wouldn't've seen Inception except for (a) being on a business trip to San Diego, (b) our last days' meetings wrapped up early but too late for me to catch an evening flight back to the Midwest, and (c) I was able to catch a 4:30 showing before the chatty cell-phone addicts were likely to show up.

The movie had the following:
STAR - Snake, Train or Indian - Trains were a regular theme.
NO STAR - Blatant Sex/Nudity - No fem skin at all. Too bad
STAR - Destruction of Public Property - Even though it was during a dream scene, lots of street and light poles were ripped up early on.
STAR - Good/Creative Mort - I've never seen a dude killed by blowing up the power transformer he's hiding behind.
NO STAR - Memorable Line - It's been only 2 hours and I can't remember a single spoken line of dialog.

Per the USS Eisenhower rating system, Inception earns 3 stars
Old 07-22-10, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.....that's an odd rating system.
Old 07-22-10, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't understand why they felt the need to have the score underneath every single scene. It was as if they didn't trust the scenes to simply unfold. The Saw movies also do this. It reminds me of Jason Segal's character in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It's just tones. I liked when the score finally opened up at the end after they get off the plane, but then I realized he was just ripping off his own Dark Knight score.
Old 07-23-10, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
...I can't remember a single spoken line of dialog.
“You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” – Eames
Old 07-23-10, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Pull yourself together Teddy!

Oh... wait...
Old 07-23-10, 12:22 AM

Old 07-23-10, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Reminds me of when someone was bitching about the latest Star Trek movie because, and I quote, "That's NOT how time travel works!!!"
not quite credible bringing up one of the worst written movies of that summer. wait....i think nero is still waiting for spock!
Old 07-23-10, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I really dug the score. It's rare that a score stands out these days and becomes a character in the film itself.
Old 07-23-10, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

I guess having written this, I realize I kind of hate this movie. I just do not see at all what others see in this and all the fuss that is being made about it.
I was going to address a bunch of your points about the movie, but I think it's fine to just accept the fact that not everyone connects personally with every critically-acclaimed movie and for whatever reason, you don't connect with this one. There's no sense in trying to understand why most people love it - it's just not your thing.

To use an extreme example, I've never been able to get into Citizen Kane with a genuine level of enjoyment. As a fan of film in general, I definitely see the technical brilliance of it, but that's pretty much where my appreciation ends.
Old 07-23-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I really dug the score. It's rare that a score stands out these days and becomes a character in the film itself.
I agree. Hans Zimmer has always been a favorite of mine and I really enjoyed this score.
Old 07-23-10, 09:01 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I'm not sure on the score. My feelings are that if you notice the score in the film, it's a bad thing. It was distracting at times.
Old 07-23-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by iggystar
Hans Zimmer has always been a favorite of mine and I really enjoyed this score.
Same here, though it would have been interesting if Cheap Trick's Dream Police kicked in right after the final shot.
Old 07-23-10, 09:57 AM

In my all time top 3 with The Godfather and Raiders of the Lost Ark, where some people see lack of emotional connection I see a movie without a second that doesn't kick ass. I'd watch 2 1/2 hours of Chris Nolan's CONception, like his parents in bed - that's how hardcore of a fan I am.
Old 07-23-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Son of Odin
not quite credible bringing up one of the worst written movies of that summer. wait....i think nero is still waiting for spock!
Psst... you missed the entire point... there's no such thing as time travel, see? And even if there was, nobody knows how it "works".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.