Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Predators (Antal, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Predators (Antal, 2010) — The Reviews Thread
3.26%
4.35%
22.83%
34.78%
15.22%
8.70%
3.26%
1.09%
2.17%
0%
1.09%
No Arnold = No Sale!
3.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Predators (Antal, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Predators (Antal, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by scott1598
why not? pretty much the 1st film redone with new twists and turns. i know they mention the first so sequel/reboot seems plausible. plus, this was meant to erase the travesties that were the AvP movies.

either way, i wouldn't mind seeing the Braga and Brody characters again in a sequel.
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
But they mention the previous events from Predator 1 so it's more, "Latest in the series" than "reboot".
Exactly. Since they mention the events of the first, it's not a reboot. A reboot would ignore everything previously done. It's just a sequel.
Old 07-14-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

What a powerfully stupid movie this turned out to be.

The Predator dogs were worse than I'd expected, Adrien Brody and his tough-guy voice were totally ridiculous, as was the entire plot of the movie for that matter.

Brody: "Let's conserve ammo."

Next scene: *trained military personnel shooting from the hip* BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

Spoiler:
Fight between Yakuza and Predator.
Fight between Predator and Predator.
Danny Trejo being the first to die.
Predator and human working together.
Adrien Brody covered in mud.

I don't know why I expected this movie to be better than it was.

/rant
Old 07-14-10, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
why not? pretty much the 1st film redone with new twists and turns. i know they mention the first so sequel/reboot seems plausible. plus, this was meant to erase the travesties that were the AvP movies.

either way, i wouldn't mind seeing the Braga and Brody characters again in a sequel.
you ask too many questions.
Old 07-15-10, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fox needs to let the Alien and Predator movies die and come up with a new alien/monster type of franchise for crying out loud!
Old 07-15-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GameOver
Fox needs to let the Alien and Predator movies die and come up with a new alien/monster type of franchise for crying out loud!

Oh, that's a good one... Fox pumping money into worthwhile, original ideas... You're too much!
Old 07-16-10, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Saw it today ... most of my thoughts have been previously expressed by others ... overall, I liked it (possibly because my expectations were so low).

However ... the CGI fireball didn't bother me as much as the crappy CGI blood ... especially in the Yakuza swordfight scene. It seemed like the human blood was given a phosphorescent look just so that it would stand out in the dark scene. Could have been cool if earlier in the film they found that human blood looked like that in the alien atmosphere. I suppose that may have been too early of a reveal though ...

The ideas for the characters were great ideas, however the characters were left flat and undeveloped. They should have been issued red shirts from the get-go. The biggest piece of character development was the Russian showing a photo of his kids.

When Topher dipped his pocket knife in the poisonous plant (which how did he know what it was?) I thought "Oh sweet, he is going to bring down a Predator with that little bitty knife!" Then I also thought (for a brief moment) that Topher was going to be a Predator in a new cloaking device ... then I expected to find out that he was working with the Predators to select the individuals chosen for the hunt. Overall ... the character was a complete waste. In fact, the notion that he (and the prisoner) would have been selected make NO sense ... the Predators are drawn to heat and CONFLICT ... there is no visible conflict from a doctor poisoning patients or a locked up con (unless he was in the midst of a prison riot).

Agreed, Laurence Fishburn was also a shameless waste ... probably the most kick-ass moment of the movie was when he took off the Predator helmet. His performance was fantastic as well.

Homages to the original were terribly overplayed while the new concepts were underplayed.

I did like that this is NOT the Predator home-world! My thought is that the survivors will commandeer a Predator ship ... but that it will take them to the Predator home-world, not Earth.

The idea of two different clans of Predators should have been utilized more ... what a great plot device that could have been!

I'll buy when it comes out ... hoping for some kick-ass extras.
Old 07-17-10, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally caught this tonight. Not as good as I expected, even with relatively low expectations. Better than AVP2, certainly, but just barely above AVP and a far cry from the original. Topher was a whiney little bitch that derserved a horrific ending (like the con). I kept waiting for him to be something truly monsterous. Brody and Braga were definitely a step up from the other actors. The final scene was pretty well done, but the movie just didn't capture the tension and terror of the original. Not sure what I was expecting, perhaps a bit more of the "boy scout" traps and whatnot. That was always one of my favorite parts of the original, and I wish they had played that up a bit more.

I gave 2.5 stars. Wish the lines to Inception weren't so long, I would have seen that instead and waited for Blu for this one.
Old 07-17-10, 02:06 PM

I went back and saw the movie again a second time. Maybe it was the lowered expectations, but I really enjoyed it this time. The homages are still too much, the LF character is still a waste, and there is still too little Predator action. However, I really enjoyed the action scenes and the main characters were all pretty good. It was also much clearer the second time around, which predator was which. And I even like the super-predator design. Its grown on me. So far this summer, I've really only enjoyed 2 movies: Iron Man 2 and Predators. I'd give it ***1/2 / *****.

Its too bad that this is probably the last Predator movie. It looks like it won't even make it to $50 million. Hopefully, we can get an extended cut on BluRay with a little more Predator action. I'd be happy with that.
Old 07-17-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Yeah I also mentioned in my short review that I had a feeling this one would grow on me after repeated viewings.
Old 07-17-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

saw it a few days ago, felt too much like a reboot to me (even if they mentioned the first movie).
Old 07-18-10, 02:11 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This movie is practically a quasi-remake. And i'm glad they didn't call it Predator 3 because when the real P3 comes along it will have the true title.
Old 07-19-10, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I just saw it today, and I really liked it. I thought it was the best movie featuring Predators since the original. That may not be saying a lot, but I did like Predator 2, despite it's flaws.

Predators was a lot of fun and got the tone right. I hope they do another one.
Old 07-21-10, 09:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I finally used my free pass and checked this out. As a fan of the first two, all I will say is that this movie sucked ass beyond words. i REALLY wanted to like it, but there was nothing worth liking. not even the fights were done well. No suspense, no buildup, and the ending was just plain awful. I was dying to see Danny Glover on one of those parachutes at the end. I'm thoroughly surprised how little of the Predator history they opted to never mention of acknowledge, save for the Hispanic chic talking about what happened back in 1987. Big fail of a movie for me.
Old 07-26-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Checked this out over the weekend and was disappointed as well. I would rate this better than Predator 2 but far behind the first film. For a movie with zero character development and zero plot it sure took its time getting to the action, and when it got there it was still a bore. Wasn't a fan of the "Super Predator" design either (which looked ridiculous, especially "Jaws"). I also didn't care for the
Spoiler:
Predator helping the human and quasi-team-up
bit at the end. It was too reminiscent of AVP. I'm now convinced there will never be another great Predator film ...
Old 09-13-10, 03:06 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
The idea of two different clans of Predators should have been utilized more ... what a great plot device that could have been!
I second that emotion.

Funny, I saw this one with a big group of people. Half of us loved it, half hated it. Personally I enjoyed it, it was nice to see the film go back to its roots in the jungles. I'm one of those who saw it more as an homage to the first film, rather than a rip-off (as some seem to claim).
Old 09-26-10, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Just saw this today and what a let down

A boring mess with a dumb as fuck story. This hunting game bullshit that Anderson also thought awesome, was seriously the best they could come up with?
And the Topher Grace twist was just idiotic. Ugh!

Even Walton Goggins who I thought could do no wrong was off his game.
Old 09-26-10, 05:46 AM
Banned

I love how these threads are always bumped the day the movie hits torrents.
Old 09-26-10, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, you noticed it too..

ps. movie sucked.
Old 12-04-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I actually thought that Topher Grace was going turn out to be a newly advanced Predator. I thought he would press some button and it would turn off his human-looking cloak and there would be this new small-sized skinny predator boy. Thank god they didn't go that route.
thought crossed my mind, or at the very least find out he was working with the predators
how else did he know the medicinal effects of a plant on an alien world?
Old 12-04-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

anyone else think that the special forces guy they found had had a chestburster?
that wound looked like an exit wound and since his head and spine were still there I don't think the predators killed him

edit: forgot to add, I liked that they used the original music, and that they made a reference to the first movie. at one point prior to this coming out there was talk of it being a reboot/remake and I was always of the opinion that with something like the Predator universe there could be tons of stand alone movies that didn't have to be sequels and also didn't have to make the previous ones no longer "exist"

Last edited by mikehunt; 12-04-10 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-04-10, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not that it matters but it wasn't...there was a comic that showed that Nolan and that dead guy had a stand against the Predators there before the film's group came. Again...irrelevant but...that thought of a chestburster never came to mind.
Old 12-04-10, 06:47 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

if I recall Jesse Ventura's chest in the first one looked like it was blown open from the inside out as well...
Old 12-04-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
if I recall Jesse Ventura's chest in the first one looked like it was blown open from the inside out as well...
You are correct.
Old 12-04-10, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Just saw this today and what a let down

A boring mess with a dumb as fuck story. This hunting game bullshit that Anderson also thought awesome, was seriously the best they could come up with?
And the Topher Grace twist was just idiotic. Ugh!

Even Walton Goggins who I thought could do no wrong was off his game.
I really hate it when people can't write a mature review and resort to obscenity when making their micro-statements.
Old 12-04-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watched this on Blu-ray last night. Forgettable, mediocre movie. Bad dialogue, poor CGI, awful suspense-free direction. Two stars. Brody was good, and the girl was kind of hot. Fishburne was way too fat for a guy scraping by for ten "seasons" (I kept waiting for a line of dialogue about how high in calories whatever he was eating must be). Topher's twist was silly. And the ending was ridiculous.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.