DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Twilight Saga: Eclipse - Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/575858-twilight-saga-eclipse-reviews-thread.html)

Kal-El 07-01-10 01:20 PM

Re: Twilight Saga: Eclipse - Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 10242617)
Is that some kind of running joke on the internet? Does that actually happen in the book or is it just an extreme interpretation of what happens?

Spoiler:
Nope, not a joke. After all that pining for Bella, the end of the first part of the last book is Edward basically performing a C-section on Bella and simultaneously transforming her in the process. And Jacob suddenly feels this "pull" towards the baby and voila! When Bella wakes up from being turned, she learns that Jake has "imprinted" (to use the wolves' terminology) on little Renesmee.Yes, that is the name of their child.

Back to this movie, I forgot to mention that Billy Burke deserves props for making Charlie one of the best things about the movie series. Especially since in the book he's pretty insignificantly written, he's done a splendid job of transcending that.

MrSmearkase 07-01-10 01:22 PM

Is that some kind of running joke on the internet? Does that actually happen in the book or is it just an extreme interpretation of what happens?

Here's a great read;

Why Breaking Dawn must be made into a movie

Gizmo 07-01-10 09:03 PM

Saw this today...pretty much had a raging hard-on the entire time.

Alrighty, maybe not.

Timber 07-01-10 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10242715)

Wow, that is a movie that I have to see.

FantasticVSDoom 07-01-10 10:29 PM

Yep since finishing Breaking Dawn, Ive waited for the movie... If they movie makers have any balls at all, they will make it as faithful as possible.

Supermallet 07-01-10 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10243557)
Saw this today...pretty much had a raging hard-on the entire time.

Alrighty, maybe not.

You think you're excited?! Feel my nipples!

mhg83 07-01-10 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10242715)

Damn! Now i have to read that book. No way in hell will they adapt it faithfully.

Rypro 525 07-01-10 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom (Post 10243723)
Yep since finishing Breaking Dawn, Ive waited for the movie... If they movie makers have any balls at all, they will make it as faithful as possible.

they won't. Several fans actually complained that the Paranormal Activity 2 teaser was too scary for them, can you imagine the tween twi hards goin ape shit if they faithfully adapt the book as written

Supermallet 07-01-10 11:10 PM

http://mylifeistwilight.com/

Blu Man 07-01-10 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10243783)

:lol:

Patman 07-02-10 12:48 AM

While the 2 hours didn't fly by, it didn't quite drag as much as I had anticipated, perhaps it's because the dialogue and scenes of the "love" triangle amongst Bella, Edward, and Jacob had some self-referential humor sprinkled into them, basically winking at the audience as they pressed on with the overall plotline of keeping Bella safe from a brood of newly created vampires.

"Eclipse" is what it is, you get pretty much what you think you'll get in a Twilight film, although I thought the scenes with the Volturi were pretty much useless, and I was distracted by the wigs on Bella's head for the film's running time.

So, a lot of relationship angst, some vampire rampage, a training montage of sorts, some big ol' wolves (or shirt-less dudes), and lots of fast running through the woods. If you're not in the mood for all of that, then this film probably isn't for you.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Gunde 07-02-10 02:40 AM

Best review yet:
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-...ga-eclipse?m=k

Here's where I have a problem. I don't care if they get married or not, because in this film, "get married" is just code for "now we can do it." Their marriage isn't about building something together or creating a family. Their marriage isn't about time they've spent together and time they want to spend together. It's all hormonal. It's all impulse. Bella Swan is defined as a character purely by who she wants to sleep with, and I don't care if she actually consummates the act or not. This movie is driven from start to finish by the real estate between her legs, and if that sounds blunt or harsh, good. I want it to sound ugly, because I think it is ugly. Deeply ugly. She's the weakest, most dependent lead in a film that I can imagine. There is nothing interesting about Bella aside from her desire for these two boys. It is a narcissistic teenage fantasy taken to a disturbing depth. Nothing in the world of these movies matters beyond the resolution of whether or not Bella is going to bone Edward. And when. And how. And whether she's going to bone Jacob as well.

newginafets 07-02-10 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X (Post 10242323)
That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

that happens.

Giles 07-02-10 05:41 PM

I've not read the books, I had missed the second movie, I was actually quite entertained by 'Eclipse' - although when ever there was a group shot of the werewolf dudes without their shirts on, I kept on thinking that Kristen Chenowith was going to step out of the woods.

Hokeyboy 07-02-10 06:28 PM

The baby's name is Oyveyizmir??

Supermallet 07-02-10 06:51 PM

You're giving Meyer too much credit. It's just "Oygevalt."

Shannon Nutt 07-02-10 06:54 PM

I thought TWILIGHT was tolerable, and I really liked Chris Weitz's NEW MOON, but ECLIPSE is a mess. The first hour is mind-dullingly slow, and all the actors (with the exception of Billy Burke) appear as if they've just graduated from the Keanu Reeves Thespian School. There's finally some action in the second half, but it's that "confuse-o-vision" type of editing that makes it impossible to figure out what's going on - but not to figure out that they hired some C-grade special effects people on this movie.

I didn't particularly like the book this movie was based on (it's my second least favorite, after the HORRIBLE "Breaking Dawn"), but even though the source material wasn't particularly strong, I think we could take any number of amateur filmmakers, give them half the budget this movie got, and they'd make a film with better pacing and emotion than what David Slade did with this movie.

In almost every aspect, this sequel really has a "phoned-it-in" feel to it. Some scenes play so poorly it looks like we're watching rehearsal footage.

It's seeing movies like ECLIPSE that I really appreciate those involved with the HARRY POTTER films, which look like masterpieces compared to the work being done in this series.

superdeluxe 07-02-10 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10242292)
(edit: spoiler for a future movie is tagged below)

Is this the one where
Spoiler:
the pedophile werewolf falls in love with a baby?

Why do people want to see that?

No that is in the final book

Spoiler:
Not sure how they are going to explain that/pull it off in Breaking Dawn, Definitely will have to walk on egg shells in how they present that

superdeluxe 07-02-10 07:28 PM

Spoiler:

it happens, it is not what you really think, and I am trying to figure out a way for them to present it and still making it work.

But if they are fairly true to the book, It is definitely going to raise some eye brows.

Basically they are soul mates. So there will be no banging going on when she is a kid (he will watch over her and be her protector). But when she grows up, all sorts of banging (He will be her lover). Basically jacob will be whatever reneesmee needs him to be..father figure/friend/lover etc)

It is a complicated situation

superdeluxe 07-02-10 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom (Post 10243723)

unpossible, remember leon?

edit: how they changed it for the american audiences.

Hokeyboy 07-02-10 07:46 PM

http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/...sPattinson.jpg

Gunde 07-03-10 04:42 AM

Cronenberg should have directed 'Breaking Dawn'

Nickee 07-03-10 08:17 AM

Saw this on Facebook, pretty good description:

Twilight is a lot like soccer. Everybody runs around for two hours, nobody scores, there's a lot of bad acting and its billion fans insist you just don't understand it.

EdTheRipper 07-03-10 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nickee (Post 10246111)
Saw this on Facebook, pretty good description:

Twilight is a lot like soccer. Everybody runs around for two hours, nobody scores, there's a lot of bad acting and its billion fans insist you just don't understand it.

That's been everywhere on the net over the past few days. I laughed the first time I saw it.

draven31 07-03-10 05:16 PM

Saw this on twitter..

Dear Confused Teen Girls: someone who sparkles and won't have sex with you isn't a vampire; it's a gay guy.