Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

10 Best movies never made

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-28-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

article from Slate - don't know if these are the ten "best", but an interesting read anyway...

http://www.slate.com/id/2257867/pagenum/all/
Old 06-28-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: 10 Best movies never made

Jeez, how many bible-themed movies did we really need?

Surprised not to see Welles' Batman or Leone's Leningrad get mentioned.
Old 06-28-10, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Welles's Batman was instantly debunked.

I'm surprised it didn't list Jodorowsky's "Dune" -- replete with a Pink Floyd soundtrack, no less.
Old 06-28-10, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought it read Francis Ford Coppola's Trucker: the Musical
Old 06-28-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
Where's Kubrick's Napoleon???
In the opening paragraph.
Old 06-28-10, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I keep waiting for ISOBAR to be made; it sounded pretty cool although the other alien on a train movie with HR Geiger working on the creatures would have been awesome as well.
Old 06-29-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'm surprised it didn't list Jodorowsky's "Dune" -- replete with a Pink Floyd soundtrack, no less.
If you look at the title bar, you'll see that the article is actually called Ten Movies That Should Never Have Been Made -- And Thankfully Weren't. Jodorowsky's Dune would have been awesome.
Old 06-29-10, 02:56 AM

I was always disappointed Sir David Lean couldn't do NOSTROMO.

And wouldn't it have been cool if John Ford had been able to do a Conan movie in the 1930s? (No, that project was never "in the pipe," it's my own fantastic speculation. I would also loved to have seen Edgar G. Ulmer or James Whale do adaptations of HP Lovecraft stories. Or how about Powell and Pressberger working on a movie based on the Lensmen novels? Okay, I'll stop.)
Old 06-29-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Warner Bros. animator Bob Clampett worked on an animated adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' "John Carter of Mars" in the 1930s. That could have been pretty awesome and might have changed the look and direction of American animation for all time. For some reason, it fell through and Clampett went back to directing Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Porky Pig and Daffy Duck in some of the greatest Looney Tunes.
Old 06-29-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would add Salvador Dali and Disney's DESTINO in that list too!
Old 06-29-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even though the article states these shouldn't have been made, I have a feeling this thread is still going to turn into everyone listing awesome movies that weren't made.

I'm glad none of those were ever made. They sound horrendous, except for a Milius-directed Viking epic. That would own!
Old 06-29-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

James Cameron's SPIDERMAN, as well...
Old 06-29-10, 10:58 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I would add Salvador Dali and Disney's DESTINO in that list too!
Destino was completed a few years ago. The actual animator John Hench who worked on it in the 40s helped complete the project in the 2000s

Pretty remarkable animation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU_f2vqEgGM
Old 06-29-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
If you look at the title bar, you'll see that the article is actually called Ten Movies That Should Never Have Been Made -- And Thankfully Weren't. Jodorowsky's Dune would have been awesome.
Yeah but that's not exactly the theme of the article. From the text:
Herewith, a guide to 10 wildly ambitious—or just wildly misguided—movie projects that were doomed by financial difficulties, casting issues, their very premise, or, commonly enough, all three.
I'd put Jodorowsky's Dune as wildly ambitious. If it had ever come to fruition, it would have most likely been one of the most phenomenal movies ever made. And DUNE fans would loathe it like none other!!

From http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowsky.asp:

In film, the Duke Leto (father of Paul) would be a man castrated in a ritual combat in the arenas during a bullfight (emblem of the Atreides house being a crowned bull...) Jessica - nun of the Bene Gesserit -, sent as concubine at the Duke to create a girl which would be the mother of a Messiah, becomes so in love with Leto that she decides to jump a chain link and to create a son, Kwisatz Haderach, the saviour. By using her capacities of Bene Gesserit - once that the Duke, insanely in love with her, entrusts her with his sad secret - Jessica is inseminated by a drop of blood of this sterile man... The camera followed (in script) the red drop through the ovaries of the woman and sees its meeting with the ovule where, by a miraculous explosion, it fertilises it. Paul had been born from a virgin; and not of the sperm of his father but of his blood...

In my version of Dune, the Emperor of the galaxy is insane. He lives on an artificial gold planet, in a gold palace built according to not-laws of antilogical. He lives in symbiosis with a robot identical to him. The resemblance is so perfect that the citizens never know if they are opposite the man or the machine...

In my version, the spice is a blue drug with spongy consistency filled with a vegetable-animal life endowed with consciousness, the highest level of consciousness. It does not stop taking all kinds of forms, while stirring up unceasingly. The spice continuously produces the creation of the innumerable universes.

The Baron Harkonnen is an immense man of 300 kilogrammes. he is so fatty and heavy that, to move, he must make continuous use of antigravitational bubbles attached at his limbs... His delusion of grandeur does not have limits: he lives in a palace built like a portrait of itself... This immense sculpture is drawn up on a sordid and marshy planet... To enter the palace, one must wait until the colossus opens the mouth and draws a tongue from steel (landing strip...).

At the end of film, the wife of the Count Fenring leaps towards Paul, who has already become Fremen, and she slices his throat. Paul while dying says: "Too late, one cannot kill me... because...

- Because, Jessica with the voice of Paul continues, to kill the Kwisatz Haderach, you would have to also have killed me... "And each Fremen, each Atreides speaks now with the voice of Paul: "I am the collective man. He who shows the way "

Reality changes quickly. Three columns of light spout out of the planet. They mix. Plunge in the sand of planet: "I am the Earth which awaits the seed!" the spice is desiccated. The ground trembles. Water drops form a pillar surrounded by fire.

Silver filaments emerge from spice. Create a rainbow. They form in a water cloud, produce a red "lava". Then vapor. Clouds. Rain. Rivers. Grass. Forests. Dune becomes green. A blue ring surrounds planet now. It is divided. It produces more and more rings. Dune is now a world illuminated, which crosses the galaxy, which leaves it, which gives it light - which is Consciousness - to all the universe.
All to the music of Pink Floyd...

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 06-29-10 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-29-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

One movie I wish had been made was Harryhausen's sequel to 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Sinbad on Mars. I've heard him talk about and often wondered if some of the concepts were later used for First Men In The Moon.
Old 06-29-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nando820
Destino was completed a few years ago. The actual animator John Hench who worked on it in the 40s helped complete the project in the 2000s

Pretty remarkable animation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU_f2vqEgGM
a full-length film or just the 7 minute short?
Old 06-29-10, 12:09 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
a full-length film or just the 7 minute short?
Just the short but I'm not sure if it was ever meant to be a full length film. But it definitely would have been pretty cool.