Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Gun: Maverick (2022, D: Kosinski) -- S: Tom Cruise

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Top Gun: Maverick (2022, D: Kosinski) -- S: Tom Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
re: Top Gun: Maverick (2022, D: Kosinski) -- S: Tom Cruise

Any former military people here? Could Maverick still be an active duty combat pilot in his 50s?
Old 07-20-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Any former military people here? Could Maverick still be an active duty combat pilot in his 50s?
Outside of any age requirements, I would think the main thing would be to pass the physical requirements. I used to work with Navy pilots but didn't see many older pilots. I imagine there could be some special circumstances. But they would still have to pass the physical.
Old 07-20-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just as the trailer said it seemed odd he would still be a pilot at that age.
Old 07-20-19, 02:58 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
Quite a few actually:

-Jackie Chan
-Sylvester Stallone
-Jean Claude Van Damme
Okay, sure they might be passionate, but of those three - and we know all three have made physical sacrifices in the past - name one at their current age that flies their own plane, actually pilots a helicopter, rides a motorcycle without a helmet at top speed and jumps out of a plane over 100 times just to get a stunt right (over kill yes) and absoultley unnecessary. Granted, most would use a stuntman for the most ridiculous and dangerous stunts. But it's not like Cruise is being completely reckless, they meticulously plot out safety and have rigged wires for most of the stunts that he does, it's just not typically normal for an actor to want to perform his or her own stunts, and especially at an older age.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, in the pussified times that we live in it's refreshing to see a guy like Cruise step up and dictate to the studios that he's the one that will be doing most of his own stunts. Does it make a difference, most people probably wouldn't even notice, or just assume it was a stunt double. It obviously makes a difference to Cruise and I totally respect that dedication.
Old 07-20-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just as the trailer said it seemed odd he would still be a pilot at that age.
I'm actually more interested in why he stopped at the rank of Captain.
Old 07-20-19, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by hal9000
Okay, sure they might be passionate, but of those three - and we know all three have made physical sacrifices in the past - name one at their current age that flies their own plane, actually pilots a helicopter, rides a motorcycle without a helmet at top speed and jumps out of a plane over 100 times just to get a stunt right (over kill yes) and absoultley unnecessary. Granted, most would use a stuntman for the most ridiculous and dangerous stunts. But it's not like Cruise is being completely reckless, they meticulously plot out safety and have rigged wires for most of the stunts that he does, it's just not typically normal for an actor to want to perform his or her own stunts, and especially at an older age.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, in the pussified times that we live in it's refreshing to see a guy like Cruise step up and dictate to the studios that he's the one that will be doing most of his own stunts. Does it make a difference, most people probably wouldn't even notice, or just assume it was a stunt double. It obviously makes a difference to Cruise and I totally respect that dedication.
I agree and I respect that.
Old 07-20-19, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I’m guessing it’s got something to do with not being able to fly beyond a certain rank. We’ll find out that Maverick never wanted to desk job.

It’s as if he feels the need for something. Something relatively fast.
Old 07-20-19, 06:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm guessing the death of Goose will play into it, possibly heavily. Sure he got past it at the end of the first movie, but I think it'll play into the captain reason as well.
Old 07-21-19, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

I’m guessing it’s got something to do with not being able to fly beyond a certain rank. We’ll find out that Maverick never wanted to desk job.

So basically he's Captain Kirk.
Old 07-21-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I expected to see Daisy Ridley in that first desert shot...
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I also can't help get a Force Awakens vibe. This will probably play out like a reboot/sequel - they're clearly using the same template from the first film.
Old 07-21-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
I don't find it hard to believe. Val's situation is still quite terrible. On one hand he looks healthy, but on the other hand his hollywood image is greatly tainted due to his throat surgery. His voice is practically gone. You can't hardly understand him as he mostly mutters words. Then he also walks differently now with his head kinda down. This surgery has affected him greatly I can't help to wonder how will that be presented on screen? Unless they could make a story that he had a terrible jet accident. But then how would the viewers be able to understand him?
I saw this posted elsewhere and I had no idea Val Kilmer was as in bad a state of health as that. His voice is so damaged and completely unrecognizable that I wonder if a voice actor dubbing in his lines will be needed as the only way he can be in the movie in anything other than a cameo. (Note I'm not saying they are doing this, but just my opinion that maybe they should.)

Old 07-21-19, 12:34 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I saw this posted elsewhere and I had no idea Val Kilmer was as in bad a state of health as that. His voice is so damaged and completely unrecognizable that I wonder if a voice actor dubbing in his lines will be needed as the only way he can be in the movie in anything other than a cameo. (Note I'm not saying they are doing this, but just my opinion that maybe they should.)

That’s what they did in The Snowman.
Old 07-21-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

There’s a quick shot in the trailer of someone pounding a pin onto a casket. I wonder if that’s Iceman and they’re going to write Val’s poor health into the movie.
Old 07-21-19, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was a note perfect teaser trailer. Can't wait to see it in IMAX next summer.
Old 07-21-19, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
That is the video I was watching along with another one where he was at a basketball game. His voice is pretty bad and I was thinking if they would dub his voice in Top Gun 2. That would work fine.

Hard to believe he had such a great masculine well soft spoken voice. And he got robbed like that. Fucking cancer man.
Old 07-22-19, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

It’s time I confess: I never watched Top Gun. I love (and miss) Tony Scott. Just one of those movies I never sat down and watched. I’ve caught maybe 20 minutes total on TV.
Old 07-22-19, 08:30 AM

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Believe it or not, me either. Yeah, I think I saw some scenes here and there, and I knew enough about it to get me through Hot Shots, but that's about it. I remember all the bully kids loving this movie and not wanting to watch it. Haven't thought about that in a while.
Old 07-22-19, 09:11 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The bullies liked it because it was the only thing more homoerotic than WWF wrestling back then.
Old 07-22-19, 10:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Anyone know if Harold Faltermeyer is doing the score again? I remember reading they were going to approach him about it, but I never heard if he committed to it.
Old 07-22-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I checked Imdb and it says Harold Faltermeyer is credited along with Hans Zimmer.
Old 07-22-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I think he has the need for quick.
Old 07-22-19, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I checked Imdb and it says Harold Faltermeyer is credited along with Hans Zimmer.
But it's unknown if it's something original or he gets credit for the Top Gun Theme.
Old 07-22-19, 01:37 PM

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
The bullies liked it because it was the only thing more homoerotic than WWF wrestling back then.
What are you saying, please?
Old 07-22-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

First, I think this flick looks great.

Second, I don't care what any of you say, Tom Cruise still looks VERY young for how much time has passed since the first - I'm 43 now and was only 11 when the first movie was released.

As an extra tidbit (since I always seem to be obsessed with age, I mean, I can't help it when I see how some people basically never age and it seems so common nowadays), at 43, I feel better than when I was 27 - a lot of exercise and overall general positive mindset is life changing.
Old 07-22-19, 01:55 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Maybe they should set it in 1999. Have Tom play a 37 year old Maverick. I think he could pull that off. Setting it pre-drone would be nice too.

Last edited by Mabuse; 07-22-19 at 02:15 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.