Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Gun: Maverick (2022, D: Kosinski) -- S: Tom Cruise

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Top Gun: Maverick (2022, D: Kosinski) -- S: Tom Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
re: Top Gun: Maverick (2022, D: Kosinski) -- S: Tom Cruise

Old 07-18-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
How could it be anything other than shit? The first one was shit. It was saved by a director with a strong sense of “look” and some extremely effective music.
Now I can see why you lost the "Dr." title in front of your user name.
Old 07-18-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Is Ed Harris the Rubber-Dog-Shit-out-of-Hong Kong-Guy?
Looks like it.
Old 07-18-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Old 07-18-19, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

That trailer felt like Top Gun. Movie will make bank.
Old 07-18-19, 05:04 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Is Ed Harris the Rubber-Dog-Shit-out-of-Hong Kong-Guy?

No that role was played by James Tolkan same guy who played the principal in BTTF

Old 07-18-19, 05:10 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I’ve probably watched the original movie 50 times if I’ve seen it once. I’ve attended Top Gun themed volleyball tournaments and costume parties. But even I can see that it’s all look. The script sucks and there’s barely any substance. Stylish and great soundtrack.

Originally Posted by GCS
No that role was played by James Tolkan same guy who played the principal in BTTF
Indeed, and James Tolkan died. It does seem like Ed Harris is playing that character.

Edit: He’s alive!!!! Now I’m just confused.

Old 07-18-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

James Tolkan is alive and now 88 years old. I don't think his character would have been brought back in reality he would have retired a long time ago.
Old 07-18-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,279 Likes on 731 Posts

Looks like a chick movie (like the first one was).
Old 07-18-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I also can't help get a Force Awakens vibe. This will probably play out like a reboot/sequel - they're clearly using the same template from the first film.
Old 07-18-19, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

That actually looked a lot better than I expected, although, to be honest, I wasn’t expecting much.

It did look very cool, though I wonder if it’s trying to hit too many beats as the original (Maverick’s leather jacket and sunglasses, singing in the bar, shirtless sweaty men flexing their muscles, Maverick riding his motorcycle alongside jets on a runway, etc.
Old 07-19-19, 12:35 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Not sure if accurate, but I heard from someone who worked on the movie that they cut Val out. Also that one of the big reasons for the delay was Cruise thought all the footage with Connelly looked terrible and had it reshot. He’s happy with how it is now though.

Last edited by dex14; 07-19-19 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-19-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Trailer looked great. I'm in for this one.
Old 07-19-19, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Not sure if accurate, but I heard from someone who worked on the movie that they cut Val out. Also that one of the big reasons for the delay was Cruise thought all the footage with Connelly looked terrible and had it reshot. He’s happy with how it is now though.
I don't find it hard to believe. Val's situation is still quite terrible. On one hand he looks healthy, but on the other hand his hollywood image is greatly tainted due to his throat surgery. His voice is practically gone. You can't hardly understand him as he mostly mutters words. Then he also walks differently now with his head kinda down. This surgery has affected him greatly I can't help to wonder how will that be presented on screen? Unless they could make a story that he had a terrible jet accident. But then how would the viewers be able to understand him?
Old 07-19-19, 01:49 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
I don't find it hard to believe. Val's situation is still quite terrible. On one hand he looks healthy, but on the other hand his hollywood image is greatly tainted due to his throat surgery. His voice is practically gone. You can't hardly understand him as he mostly mutters words. Then he also walks differently now with his head kinda down. This surgery has affected him greatly I can't help to wonder how will that be presented on screen? Unless they could make a story that he had a terrible jet accident. But then how would the viewers be able to understand him?
My understanding were his original scenes were in a hospital and incorporated his medical issues.
Old 07-19-19, 02:17 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dammit Tom Cruise! Why for decades did I always talk shit about you, and yet here I am actually looking forward to almost every movie you make? Save for The Mummy, I couldn't get through that one. Yeah, his movies aren't winning best picture awards - strike that - (Rain Man) but he isn't really shooting for those types of gigs either. As corny as the first Top Gun was this trailer makes me wasn't to see it for exactly that reason.

Name another current actor that has been as passionate about the craft going on 40 years and is hellbent on pushing the technical and physical boundaries with every movie they make. I can't think of anyone.

I guess the turning point with me enjoying Cruise movies (and total surprise) was a Black Friday blind buy of Live, Die, Repeat on Blu-Ray, that movie is fucking fantastic! Hell, even Oblivion for that matter. Those two movies made me go back and watch MI:3, and again, pleasantly surprised. I still can't bring myself to watch MI:2 because American made John Woo movies just don't do it for me, although Face/Off does have some amazingly hilarious dialogue. I love the subsequent MI movies, they aren't James Bond but still highly entertaining popcorn movies.

Sure, everyone is hyper-critical when it comes to his personal life, granted his does raise eyebrows. But then again nobody's perfect.
Old 07-19-19, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by hal9000
Sure, everyone is hyper-critical when it comes to his personal life, granted his does raise eyebrows. But then again nobody's perfect.
If I only saw movies starring actors with beliefs I agreed with, I wouldn't see any movies. He does put out a great product. I know people that refuse to watch the movies you mentioned because they "hate Tom Cruise." I wonder if they apply these same principles to every other product they buy? The great pizza place down the street - can't go there because the person that bakes it believes in a strange religion. Who cares? Dammit his movies are entertaining!
Old 07-19-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Judging from the trailer it looks like the flying footage is real but they used some CGI.
Old 07-19-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

It was also shot using IMAX cameras ( 1.90 : 1 (IMAX Version) ), looks like I'll be seeing it in that format first. Assuming it's a good movie then I will watch it in Dolby Cinema.
Old 07-19-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Name another current actor that has been as passionate about the craft going on 40 years and is hellbent on pushing the technical and physical boundaries with every movie they make. I can't think of anyone.
Quite a few actually:

-Jackie Chan
-Sylvester Stallone
-Jean Claude Van Damme

Old 07-19-19, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems Kilmer is in

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/19/enter...rnd/index.html

He posted the trailer on his facebook.
Old 07-20-19, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Judging from the trailer it looks like the flying footage is real but they used some CGI.
Honestly, that's the jet scenes and the fact that they look like they have actual flying footage is what's got me excited about seeing this movie.

Dammit Tom Cruise! Why for decades did I always talk shit about you, and yet here I am actually looking forward to almost every movie you make? Save for The Mummy, I couldn't get through that one. Yeah, his movies aren't winning best picture awards - strike that - (Rain Man) but he isn't really shooting for those types of gigs either. As corny as the first Top Gun was this trailer makes me wasn't to see it for exactly that reason.
I haven't been interested in any of his recent output. It seems like he has this too-cool-for-school demeanor in a lot of the roles he picks. I miss the range and vulnerability he showed in films like Born on the Fourth of July.

I guess the turning point with me enjoying Cruise movies (and total surprise) was a Black Friday blind buy of Live, Die, Repeat on Blu-Ray, that movie is fucking fantastic! Hell, even Oblivion for that matter. Those two movies made me go back and watch MI:3, and again, pleasantly surprised. I still can't bring myself to watch MI:2 because American made John Woo movies just don't do it for me, although Face/Off does have some amazingly hilarious dialogue. I love the subsequent MI movies, they aren't James Bond but still highly entertaining popcorn movies.
I forgot about Oblivion. That actually looked real good. I'll have to check it out and also Live, Die, Repeat.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It did look very cool, though I wonder if it’s trying to hit too many beats as the original (Maverick’s leather jacket and sunglasses, singing in the bar, shirtless sweaty men flexing their muscles, Maverick riding his motorcycle alongside jets on a runway, etc.
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I also can't help get a Force Awakens vibe. This will probably play out like a reboot/sequel - they're clearly using the same template from the first film.
Definitely a Force Awakens approach. I mean playing ball on the beach? Check. Racing down in a motorcycle? Check. Prominent focus on the Raybans? Check.
Old 07-20-19, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Cruise looks like he never ages. I wish I knew his secret. I enjoyed the first one so I am in for this one as well.
Old 07-20-19, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Cruise looks like he never ages. I wish I knew his secret. I enjoyed the first one so I am in for this one as well.
Stem cell therapy broh. haha

I like Cruise and Kosinski. Kosinski has a very good sense with editing and music, which I feel is the highlight from the first one.

I am sold on it.
Old 07-20-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

This looks just as bad as the vastly overrated first movie.

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Cruise looks like he never ages. I wish I knew his secret.
That used to be the case, but over the last 4 or 5 years I can definitely see the aging of his looks accelerating.
His face looks more tired, more droopy and less "chiseled", some extra wrinkles/lines and his nose has gotten bigger. He's also not as toned.
He still looks great for 57, but he's starting to catch up to the rest of us.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.