Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Gun: Maverick (2022, D: Kosinski) -- S: Tom Cruise

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Top Gun: Maverick (2022, D: Kosinski) -- S: Tom Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-13, 09:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Top Gun 2: Return to the Danger Zone - S: Cruise, Kilmer, Edwards

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I said the exact thing about Ridley Scott making another Alien movie. I think it's slim, but still possible that Paramount and Cruise will still make one. When there's money to still be made on the Top Gun name, they will find a way to make it.
Some people in the film industry have a little respect left, especially for the dead. Time will tell whether Ridley, Cruise, or Bruckheimer are on that list.
Old 09-08-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

'Top Gun 2' Lands 'Jungle Book' Writer (Exclusive)
3:04 PM PST 09/08/2014 by Borys Kit

Justin Marks, the writer behind Disney’s upcoming live-action version of The Jungle Book, in negotiations to work on Top Gun 2, the sequel to the 1980s Tom Cruise classic that is being made by Paramount and Skydance.

The move will goose up the long-in-the-works sequel and comes after the recent Paramount arrival of producer Jerry Bruckheimer. After years with a studio deal at Disney, Bruckheimer moved to the Melrose Avenue-based studio lot in April.

David Ellison of Skydance is also producing. Skydance's Dana Goldberg is exec producing.

Cruise is slated to return as ace pilot Maverick in a story that aims to show the relevance of good old fashioned pilots in today’s high-tech, drone-centric war environment.

Peter Craig, the scribe who wrote Ben Affleck’s The Town, wrote the previous draft a couple of years ago. The project lost some jet fuel when Tony Scott, the director of the 1986 original and who was to direct the sequel, committed suicide in 2012.

Marks’s script for Jungle Book attracted Jon Favreau and the movie is now in production with Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson and Idris Elba among the actors doing the voicework.

Marks previously worked with Bruckheimer when he was hired to write War Dogs, a project centered around military canines that the producer was developing for Disney.

The writer, who is also adapting the Vertigo comic Federal Bureau of Physics for Warner Bros., is repped by CAA, Madhouse Entertainment and Lichter Grossman.
"...a story that aims to show the relevance of good old fashioned pilots in today’s high-tech, drone-centric war environment." Uh, wasn't that a film with Jamie Foxx and Jessica Biel called Stealth?
Old 09-08-14, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I don't know. Maybe Step Up 3D from three weeks ago.
did that soundtrack stay on top of the charts or does it have a song that will be nominated for a oscar?
Old 06-04-15, 11:11 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

any new info on this?
Old 06-04-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
any new info on this?
Bruckheimer is trying to get Cruise to do this next, but I think he's going back to Jack Reacher first.
Old 06-04-15, 01:25 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Anyone else excited for this?

Didn't think so.
Old 06-04-15, 01:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

About as excited as getting Top Gun in 3D on blu ray.
Old 06-04-15, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well that was a pointless bump.
Old 06-04-15, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

I wish there was something new on it. But the remastered 2D version of Top Gun that hasn't gotten released on blu-ray is now on Netflix. It looks like the whole film has an orange tint to it.
Old 06-04-15, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The only time I ever got death threats from writing DVD Reviews here was for Top Gun. For that alone, this movie will always have a warm place in my cold, dead heart.
Old 06-04-15, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Internet reviews are serious business.
Old 06-28-15, 07:25 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Not much of an update, but something.

Top Gun 2 has been in development for almost five years now. When the project was first being revived, Tom Cruise was planning to return for a small role. Since then, the project has ballooned, and Cruise will have a starring role in the sequel.

During a group interview at the press day for Terminator Genisys in Berlin, Skydance CEO David Ellison and CCO Dana Goldberg were asked about the status of Top Gun 2, and what we can expect from the film, which is currently being written by Justin Marks (Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li).
top-gun-tom-cruise

Question: You’re also a thrill seeker; you’re a pilot. And you have Top Gun 2 on your list, which is also with Tom Cruise. Can you talk a little bit about that?

DAVID ELLISON: Absolutely. I started flying aerobatics when I was thirteen years old, actually me and my dad took my first lesson on my thirteenth birthday. By the time I was seventeen, I was flying air shows and have thousands of hours flying surface level aerobatics. I absolutely love it. I’ve got three hundred skydives, used to sky surf until that put me in the hospital really badly so I thought maybe let’s not do that anymore, but love aviation, and Top Gun definitely fits into the seminal movie of my childhood, and as a pilot, that is really the movie. Justin Marks is writing the screenplay right now. He has a phenomenal take to really update that world for what fighter pilots in the Navy has turned into today. There is an amazing role for Maverick in the movie and there is no Top Gun without Maverick, and it is going to be Maverick playing Maverick. It is I don’t think what people are going to expect, and we are very, very hopeful that we get to make the movie very soon. But like all things, it all comes down to the script, and Justin is writing as we speak.

You’re gonna do what a lot of sequels have been doing now which is incorporate real use of time from the first one to now.

ELLISON and DANA GOLDBERG: Absolutely.

Ellison confirms that Tom Cruise is starring in this one when he says “Maverick playing Maverick”. What makes me curious is that this clearly can’t be the same cocky kid from the original movie. I’m interested to see what that character looks like almost 30 years later, especially since his profession has changed so drastically. He used to be the hot shot, and now it appears he’ll be the fossil.

In addition to confirming that the movie will be in 3D and IMAX (there will also be practical effects because that’s how Cruise rolls), Ellison went into more detail about what he meant when he talked about what the Navy has become and how it relates to Maverick:

ELLISON: Absolutely, I think this is a movie that should be in 3-D and in IMAX, and again something that you can shoot practically. As everyone knows with Tom, he is 100% going to want to be in those airplanes shooting it practically. When you look at the world of dogfighting, what’s interesting about it is that it’s not a world that exists to the same degree when the original movie came out. This world has not been explored. It is very much a world we live in today where it’s drone technology and fifth generation fighters are really what the United States Navy is calling the last man-made fighter that we’re actually going to produce so it’s really exploring the end of an era of dogfighting and fighter pilots and what that culture is today are all fun things that we’re gonna get to dive into in this movie.

So it sounds like this movie isn’t going to be in the vein of the deadly serious Good Kill, although this is still a difficult line to walk. Drones are killing lots of people, and it’s a complex issue. We have the power to summon death from above with no risk to us. However, it also reduces the number of soldier we have to send to dangerous places. I’m not sure how a character like Maverick fits into that, but I’m curious to find out.

For more on what’s coming up from Skydance, click on the links below. Terminator Genisys opens July 1st.
http://collider.com/top-gun-2-story-..._medium=social
Old 06-28-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Michael Bay has probably wanted to direct this movie all his life.
Old 06-28-15, 08:50 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Prediction: Top Gun 2 will be so bad it will ruin Cruise's career as badly as the first film boosted it.
Old 06-29-15, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

For what its worth, I'd rather see Top Gun 2 than Jack Reacher 2.
Old 06-29-15, 02:13 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Prediction: Top Gun 2 will be so bad it will ruin Cruise's career as badly as the first film boosted it.
If the couch-jumping faze didn't kill his career, I can't see how one movie -- no matter how bad -- would do him in. Especially when he has Mission Impossible as a fallback whenever his numbers start spiraling downward.

Now if his Scientology cronies seize control of the production and make it a story about Maverick fighting off Xenu's DC-8-like space planes... that might do the job. "I feel the need... the need for auditing!"
Old 06-29-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
If the couch-jumping faze didn't kill his career, I can't see how one movie -- no matter how bad -- would do him in. Especially when he has Mission Impossible as a fallback whenever his numbers start spiraling downward.

Now if his Scientology cronies seize control of the production and make it a story about Maverick fighting off Xenu's DC-8-like space planes... that might do the job. "I feel the need... the need for auditing!"
Yeah I don't think his career can ever truly die. If he isn't the highest grossing movie star in pictures as the lead he has to be pretty damn close. Worst case scenario I see maybe the budgets for his movies dropping.

And I have no desire for Top Gun 2. I'd rather see Jack Reacher 2.
Old 06-29-15, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Michael Bay has probably wanted to direct this movie all his life.
Old 06-29-15, 07:42 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Cruise is a nutjob, but it's amazing he looks as good as he looks. Val Kilmer and Kelly McGillis have aged.... poorly.
Old 07-28-15, 12:15 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C_ez-T2jUPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-28-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

^^^ Obviously he's being vague about it since there probably isn't even a script.

I guess if we do see more adventures from Maverick, he won't be with Charlie anymore since she went from this:

to this:

She could pass for Maverick's Mom now.
Old 07-28-15, 12:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

^ ooohhh that's too bad. she was in The Innkeepers, right? thought she looked haggard in that one. almost unrecognizable.
Old 07-28-15, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

She could pass for Maverick's Mom now.

Well, she is almost 60 years old. What did people expect her to look like nearly 30 years later.
Old 07-28-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Since Cruise doesn't seem to age much, it just makes it that much more noticeable on her.
Old 07-28-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Well, she is almost 60 years old. What did people expect her to look like nearly 30 years later.

Similar aged actress.

Sela Ward (circa mid to late 70's as an Alabama cheerleader)

Around 1999-2000

Present day. 59 years old and still stunning.

I don't know if it's just the genes, but McGillis to me looks like she stopped taking care of herself as she got older.

Cruise is 53 years old and could still pass for someone in his 40's.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.