DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Weekend Box Office (6/25-6/27): Hex is an amazing failure (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/575696-weekend-box-office-6-25-6-27-hex-amazing-failure.html)

islandclaws 06-26-10 10:19 AM

Weekend Box Office (6/25-6/27): Hex is an amazing failure

1. More good news for Pixar and Disney. As expected, Toy Story 3 tops the North American box office for the 2nd straight week. Thanks to higher 3D ticket prices and a wide release into 4,028 theaters, the toon with massive appeal did $18.5M Friday, only a 56% drop following its monster opening a week ago. It's vital to Hollywood summer grosses that so many families are having a great experience at the cineplex because of this pic. Estimates are for a $62M weekend and cume of $230M by Sunday . "To infinity ... and beyond!"

2. Sony Pictures' Grown Ups continues Adam Sandler's near-perfect string of $40M weekend comedy openings for a strong 2nd place finish with $14.5M Friday from 3,434 locations. "Adam has been one of the most consistently performing summer box office draws for over a decade," one Sony exec emailed me. (But only so long as his raunchy pictures contain fart jokes.) Tracking had been strong, but even the studio didn't expect this poorly reviewed frolic to pass Click's $14.4M Friday. That gives the pic a $40M weekend even if it's flat on Saturday -- Click dropped -1% -- but the smart bet is on Grown-Ups going higher because of the marketable ensemble cast including Kevin James. Sony is claiming a negative cost of only $70M. How much do bathing suits cost anyway?

3. Twentieth Century Fox's Knight And Day now sits in 3rd place with a slightly better-than-expected estimate of $19M for the 3-day weekend and $27M for its 5-day cume from 3,098 theaters. No one can agree on what the pic took in Friday with Fox claiming a low of $6.1M and other studios $6.7M to $7.0M.
Spoiler:
Doesn't matter: no one inside Building 88 will be horribly embarrassed, which is all the Fox studio execs ensconced there care about. Especially after the pic received a failing grade of only $3.8M when it opened Wednesday in 3,043 venues (when $5+M would have been passable) and -9% for $3.4M Thursday for only a weak $7.2M cume going into today. Yet this is the kind of $117M rom-com ($107M with the Massachusetts tax breaks, split among New Regency, Fox, and Dune) that should have grossed $35+M easy.

Then again, I have rarely seen Hollywood so transfixed on a movie before it opened. But with starry casting, and promotion aplenty, everything about this pic was high-profile -- so a spotlight comes with the territory. (Those stunts for junketing journalists in Spain cost a fortune but translated into media value.) Plus, Fox is the studio Hollywood loves to hate, even more so after the insane success of Avatar, because it regularly takes medium-budget mediocre movies and makes big hits out of them because of killer marketing. Knight And Day should have been no exception. But the media keep gunning for Tom Cruise post-Oprah's couch and wishing him to fail. Cameron Diaz becomes guilty by association because she can't open a movie. And the weeks of poor tracking on this pic so unnerved the studio that it made a big PR deal of sneaking the film last weekend to counter the bad buzz building up.

The truth is that the film does play. Although once classy James Mangold should find different representation for letting him direct this long-in-development-hell drek. The script passed through the hands of 9 writers as well as Mangold who did an uncredited polish. (At one point titled Trouble Man And Wichita, and then just Wichita, it was Fox film boss Tom Rothman who came up with the treacly Knight And Day.) For that matter, I don't understand why Cruise did the movie either, especially when he had so many better bake-off options back in February 2009. Like The Tourist, now starring Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. Back then it would have paired Tom Cruise with Charlize Theron and put him back with Valkyriescribe Chris McQuarrie. But I digress.

I'm told test screenings were troubled, with audiences cruelly complaining that Tom Cruise is "weird" and Cameron Diaz is "old". And yet Tom Rothman and Emma Watts were buoyed that they got the pair for bargain basement prices, especially since Tom is still a huge star internationally. Indeed, early numbers coming in from abroad show the movie doing "very well" in those few territories it opened day and date, Fox insiders tell me. It debuted #1 in Hong Kong, Jamaica, Thailand, and Trinidad. The Korean opening "is the same as Mr. and Mrs. Smith, which is in line with other movies that have done more than $200 million internationally," a Fox exec told me Friday night.

The public may pile on Cruise for the movie's domestic underplay, but Hollywood thinks responsibility lies with Tony Sella's and Pam Levine's marketing suckfest. The one-sheet graphic didn't even show the stars' faces, the trailers "made the movie look a USA Network TV show", to quote one rival maven, and the lame line that it's "Tom Cruise at his Jerry Maguire best" compares apples to oranges. On the other hand, I hear Rothman micromanaged the movie down to approving publicity stills, while Cruise pushed to have the pic sold as Mission Impossible 4. I can't wait for The Blame Game to be played on Monday morning because there's plenty to go around.

4. Karate Kid (Sony) Week 3 [3,740 Theaters]
Friday $4.5M, Estimated Weekend $15M, Estimated Cume $135M

5. The A-Team (Fox) Week 3 [3,242 Theaters]
Friday $1.7M, Estimated Weekend $5.5M, Estimated Cume $62.3M

6. Shrek Forever After (DWA/Par) Week 6 [2,340 Theaters]
Friday $1.0M, Estimated Weekend $3.5M, Estimated Cume $229.9M

7. Prince of Persia (Disney) Week 5 [1,851 Theaters]
Friday $975K, estimated Weekend $3.2M, Estimated Cume $86.6M

8. Get Him To The Greek (Universal) Week 4 [2,188 Theaters]
Friday $975K, Estimated Cume $3.0M, Estimated Cume $54.5M

9. Killers (Lionsgate) Week 4 [2,271 Theaters]
Friday $675K, Estimated Weekend $2.0M, Estimated Cume $44.0M

10. Jonah Hex (Warner Bros) Week 2 [2,825 Theaters]
Friday $500K (-74%), Estimated Weekend $1.5M, Estimated Cume $9.0M
Spoiler:
This colossal failure's seismic drop, -74%, from even last Friday's tragic opening, is the sort of humilitainment that Hollywood loves. Problem is, this total writeoff's $100+M losses will eat into the profits that Chris Nolan's Inception will make for the studio this summer. Warner Bros' Alan Horn, Jeff Robinov, Greg Silverman, and DC Comics' Paul Levitz, Gregory Noveck, and Dan DiDio have a lot of explaining to do. I can't just shove this one under the rug, fellas.

Giles 06-26-10 10:23 AM

Re: Weekend Box Office (6/25-6/27): Hex is an amazing failure

'Hex' this year's 'Wild Wild West'

My Other Self 06-26-10 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 10233576)

Not even close. WWW doesn't come close in terms of financial intake that Jonah Hex has brought in. Sure, it didn't meet expectations, but at least it came close to (or did) recoup its budget. This thing will finish off with about -$85M worldwide.

d2cheer 06-26-10 10:32 AM

Fox can spin it all they want Knight and Day is considered a flop with those numbers and star power.

Giles 06-26-10 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 10233593)
Fox can spin it all they want Knight and Day is considered a flop with those numbers and star power.

I read that Fox had alot invested in this and that it was a make it or break it for Cruise and Diaz 'name' and star power to draw in the crowds.

Deftones 06-26-10 10:50 AM

I'm surprised Knight and Day isn't doing better. They actually made it look decent in the trailers. Now, I've not seen it, but I'd like to.

islandclaws 06-26-10 11:13 AM

I thought K&D was fun, if not a bit too lightweight in some areas. And I always loathe Diaz. Of course, I also saw it over a month ago with tons of unfinished FX. I wonder how the finished product plays.

Giles 06-26-10 11:29 AM

^ I actually thought Knight and DAy was pure goofy popcorn fodder - and on the second largest screen at Mazza it was an almost sell out crowd. I overheard someone say "well at least it was better than 'Killers'' - a film I personally don't and wont ever see - Ashton really irks me to no avail.

GreenVulture 06-26-10 12:24 PM

What's with the spoilers there?

PopcornTreeCt 06-26-10 12:45 PM

Diaz's star power is all smoke & mirrors. Tom Cruise is last decade's action hero.

Knight & Day with Matt Damon and Sandra Bullock would've been more fun and #1.

islandclaws 06-26-10 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by GreenVulture (Post 10233774)
What's with the spoilers there?

Did you look under them? I figured people wanted the numbers here; if you want the story behind them, click the tag.

GreenVulture 06-26-10 01:45 PM

Just seemed odd to insert commentary in the middle of the box office figures.

Mr. Cinema 06-26-10 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 10233576)

Probably closer to "The Avengers", which was another big budget WB flick with a good cast.

Mr. Cinema 06-26-10 01:47 PM

Knight & Day is geared towards adults, which is rare these days. Maybe it'll have some decent legs. If it doesn't, Fox's rough Summer continues. They better hope Predators is a big hit. Date Night is currently their biggest grosser at $97 million.

islandclaws 06-26-10 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by GreenVulture (Post 10233866)
Just seemed odd to insert commentary in the middle of the box office figures.

Don't read much on DHD, do you?

GreenVulture 06-26-10 02:34 PM

I'd have to know what DHD stands for before I can tell you.

William Fuld 06-26-10 02:54 PM

"#1 in Jamaica"

:lol:

Dr. DVD 06-26-10 02:56 PM

The Hex #s can only mean one thing: Megan Fox will be in Playboy soon! :thumbsup:

Supermallet 06-26-10 03:04 PM

I cannot believe Grown Ups did better than Knight and Day. Aside from the people involved, Grown Ups looked 100% not funny (and was 100% not funny), while Knight and Day at least looked like fun.

islandclaws 06-26-10 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by GreenVulture (Post 10233927)
I'd have to know what DHD stands for before I can tell you.

Deadline Hollywood Daily. Nikki Finke frequently posts her reasoning for why films open to the numbers they do, hence the commentary.

PopcornTreeCt 06-26-10 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10233970)
I cannot believe Grown Ups did better than Knight and Day. Aside from the people involved, Grown Ups looked 100% not funny (and was 100% not funny), while Knight and Day at least looked like fun.

Really? Grown Ups looked like instant profit with Adam Sandler and Kevin James. While Knight & Day didn't really look like it would appeal to anyone.

Artman 06-26-10 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10233970)
I cannot believe Grown Ups did better than Knight and Day.

I hadn't seen a preview for Grown Ups, but just looking at it on paper (the stars attached, comedy story, etc) I would've chosen it to easily beat K&D. Sandler in his juvenile comedy wheelhouse is still tough to beat. While I like Cruise, he's just not a sure thing anymore.

Giles 06-26-10 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 10233870)
Probably closer to "The Avengers", which was another big budget WB flick with a good cast.

but wasn't that a case of where WB did some in house pruning... er I mean editing and resulted in a giant hacked up mess.

gmanca 06-26-10 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 10234434)
but wasn't that a case of where WB did some in house pruning... er I mean editing and resulted in a giant hacked up mess.

Yeah it was a two hour+ film before the edits, which sorta sounds like what happened here although in this case they had another director do it.

RoboDad 06-26-10 10:43 PM

I'm not getting all the Knight and Day hate. It was obviously not high art, but it was a very fun ride for a couple of hours. The cast was likable and the story was pretty much non-stop over-the-top action, none of which was really meant to be taken seriously. If anything, it was kind of making fun of itself along the way.

My wife and I saw it, and both had a good time (and it looked to me like the rest of the near-sell-out crowd did, as well).