DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Just watched Sexy Beast for the first time... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/575306-just-watched-sexy-beast-first-time.html)

RagingBull80 06-16-10 11:28 PM

Just watched Sexy Beast for the first time...

...And I thought it was fucking amazing.

Even though the flick’s 10 years old I’ll still point out that there’s a spoiler below.

I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to see this film. I've been hearing about it here and other places for years. The main thing I heard was about "Ben Kingsley's scenery chewing performance." It really was an amazing performance.

It was really stylistically interesting, well shot and written and just kept me interested the whole time. I thought the film really brought the weird which I thought was great. The film took turns that I really wasn't expecting and Ben Kingsley's death just came out of nowhere. I had no clue where the film was going and then it was over and I was just stunned. It's really one of the greatest movies I've ever seen.

Kingsley really brings it and he was truly frightening. The whole cast was great. Winstone was absolutely amazing. I've always liked Winstone in everything I've seen him in (especially The Proposition) but he was just brilliant in this. The scene between Winstone and Kingsley in the kitchen is chilling.

This is a film that I'm sure to revisit a lot.

I only had two issues with the film. First, I nearly had to put the subtitles on a few times because I had such difficulty understanding what was being said. And second, it was too damn short. The flick felt like it was over before it really even started. It just really moved.

--------

I searched for an existing thread on this movie but found nothing. And please spare the asinine, "yeah we all loved this movie ten years ago when it came out" comments.

JumpCutz 06-16-10 11:34 PM

Re: Just watched Sexy Beast for the first time...

Awesome! I need to revisit this. I remember really liking it, but I haven't seen it since it's release. Kingsley and Winstone are masterful.

I have the DVD and think I'll watch it....right now!

Thanks RagingBull80. :thumbsup:

LickTheABCs 06-17-10 12:37 AM

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MyVDOB0wU78&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MyVDOB0wU78&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

uh.. what?

Love that flick.

RagingBull80 06-17-10 12:44 AM

That's awesome.

reubs82 06-17-10 07:17 AM

I tried to watch this in college, but the folks I was living with wouldn't stay quiet long enough for me to figure WTH was going on. One day, though, maybe I can get back to it.

Thanks for the reminder about it!

toddly6666 06-17-10 09:02 AM

No, No, No, No, No, No, No!

It's too bad that Ben Kingsly is always playing villains in B-movies but he doesn't transfer his Sexy Beast scariness into those roles.

Numanoid 06-17-10 11:42 AM

Yeah, we all loved this movie ten years ago when it came out.

islandclaws 06-17-10 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 10217587)

I still love it now. I still want to check out the semi-sequel "44 Inch Chest".

I've been hoping for a BD release of this one for a while. Easily my favorite performance by Kingsley.

OldBoy 06-17-10 04:47 PM

i only saw it in the past few years and thought it was indeed great. hard to believe it is that old.

Kurt D 06-17-10 05:25 PM

Definitely a flick for which subtitles are a required part of the viewing experience. But a good film nonetheless, no matter when it came out. Now I gotta go find some people who've just seen <i>Casablanca</i> and try to make them feel bad ... ;)

Solid Snake 06-17-10 05:32 PM

I need to see this for sure. I'll get it when its on Blu....

RagingBull80 06-17-10 09:23 PM

Aaaaaannddd...Numanoid for the win! Though I figured it would be Mr. Salty that came in with that.

How can you be so cold to a fellow Numanoid?!

RagingBull80 06-17-10 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10217636)
I still want to check out the semi-sequel "44 Inch Chest".

After seeing Sexy Beast it's very high up on my "To Watch" list.

Boba Fett 06-17-10 09:42 PM

"I hope this thing crashes!"

NoirFan 06-17-10 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 (Post 10218677)
How can you be so cold to a fellow Numanoid?!

He's a Gary Numan fan. They're all like that.

The Bus 06-17-10 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 10218753)

Some of us were fans 31 years ago. :rolleyes:

RagingBull80 06-17-10 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 10218753)

But I'm a Gary Numan fan... :sad:

Solid Snake 09-19-13 02:04 PM

Just saw this on amazon Instant Video, free with Prime. Holy shit. This thing was fucking awesome. Kingsley was amazing. Holy fuck. Great cast. Need to see 44 Inch Chest.

OldBoy 09-19-13 02:07 PM

just got the Blu-ray from Twilight Time, still sealed, but i want to break the seal and ooze over it so much!

Buttmunker 09-19-13 02:16 PM

Chris Moltisanti said to Ben Kingsley, "Sexy Beast was brutal."

EddieMoney 09-20-13 01:33 PM

Great movie. Kingsley is terrifying in this.

DaveyJoe 09-20-13 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney (Post 11841933)
Great movie. Kingsley is terrifying in this.

And weirdly pathetic and vulnerable in some scenes. It's obvious that he's hung up on Jackie and is so insecure that he's wildly overcompensating with his aggressive behavior. It's a great performance and those little moments really add depth to the character.

hanshotfirst1138 09-20-13 03:29 PM

Glazer's new film premiered at Toronto, and it appears to be mightily devisive.

Why So Blu? 09-20-13 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 11840836)
Just saw this on amazon Instant Video, free with Prime. Holy shit. This thing was fucking awesome. Kingsley was amazing. Holy fuck. Great cast. Need to see 44 Inch Chest.

44 Inch Chest is pretty cool but a total departure. It's almost done as a stage play.

Rent the Blu-ray if you can or borrow it, because it has a pretty neat individual epiiogue set (in the special features) that tells you what happened to the characters after the film ends.

John Hurt steals the show.

OldBoy 09-20-13 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 11842181)
44 Inch Chest is pretty cool but a total departure. It's almost done as a stage play.

Rent the Blu-ray if you can or borrow it, because it has a pretty neat individual epiiogue set (in the special features) that tells you what happened to the characters after the film ends.

John Hurt steals the show.

this is streaming on NetFlix.