Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (6/11-6/13), or: when a plan doesn't come together

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office (6/11-6/13), or: when a plan doesn't come together

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-10, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (6/11-6/13), or: when a plan doesn't come together

Fox put out that dumb ad with the tank and I think it turned a lot of people off. For me after seeing the ad I felt like it was going to be on a level of Transformers bad. I had a feeling that Karate Kid was going to make some money since it's a family film, but I never thought it would beat A-Team. And this is the most under performing summer as far I can remember, the only two movies I'm really looking forward to that are left are Toy Story 3 and Inception.
Old 06-12-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I was 12 or so when The A-Team first came on the air, just the right age demographic they were shooting for. As I recall, it was absolutely retarded, even by cheesy 80s network TV standards. I'm convinced the producers completely overestimated the amount of Gen-X Nostalgia for the dumbass show.
Old 06-12-10, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I was 12 or so when The A-Team first came on the air, just the right age demographic they were shooting for. As I recall, it was absolutely retarded, even by cheesy 80s network TV standards. I'm convinced the producers completely overestimated the amount of Gen-X Nostalgia for the dumbass show.
I think so, too. Mr. T. was the only pop-culture "icon" to emerge from the A-Team. The other characters, although good, blended with several others from different shows in the 80's (I used to think that Face and AJ Simon were one in the same). I don't think the franchise was recognizable enough. That's like making a "Hunter" or "Spenser for Hire" movie. I'll try to check it out next week.
Old 06-12-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

And how come we don't have WET (White Entertainment Television)?!!?!?

I think most TV channels qualify as WET. Before the mid-'60s, all three major networks certainly did.
Old 06-12-10, 05:55 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I heard they're remaking Full House and Tracy Morgan will be taking over for Bob Saget.
Actually Tracey Morgan is supposed to be the main lead in the Jaws remake...

But hey, nothing new for Will Smith. Just look at I Am Legend. Or (gees), Death at a Funeral. Just imagine if White people were in remakes of Black films. Jesse Jackson would be up in arms.

Last edited by Gizmo; 06-12-10 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-12-10, 05:57 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think you meant another non-Japanese actor taking over a Japanese role. Last year it was STAR TREK...this year, KARATE KID. Sheesh!
I doubt many people would even figure out the difference between Chinese and Japanese considering the film is so old. Not hard to spot a White teenager turning into a young Black kid. But Sony really wanted Smith for MIB3, so it made sense to put pressure on them to cast his little kid. He was alright in Pursuit..., but a giant fuckbomb in Day the Earth Stood Still.
Old 06-12-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I doubt many people would even figure out the difference between Chinese and Japanese considering the film is so old. Not hard to spot a White teenager turning into a young Black kid. But Sony really wanted Smith for MIB3, so it made sense to put pressure on them to cast his little kid. He was alright in Pursuit..., but a giant fuckbomb in Day the Earth Stood Still.
I sort of liked the DTESS remake, but Smith was certainly annoying in that film. I would have loved it if Connelly given him a hard backhand to the face.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 06-12-10 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-12-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am so glad A-Team is bombing. Please stop this trend of making mind-numbling dumb feature films of cheezy TV shows that were probably awful to begin with.
Old 06-12-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Come on dude, don't hate. Haven't you heard? It's got wicked mindless action, Jessica Biel and... Bradley Cooper takes off his shirt and grins a lot.
Old 06-12-10, 06:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I expected the first 2 spots to be reversed. I was hoping nothing but failure for the remake of one of the most awesome 80s films ever made. I guess The Goonies will be next and it'll never stop. Hollywood will never have to try anymore. Just remake every damn thing over and over again and the flock of robots will keep buying tickets.
Yet, unsurprisingly, I bet you would've been psyched if A-Team (which is ALSO a remake) had won the weekend. Some of you are so blindly biased against KK that it's almost sickening. The movie's good--much better than that garbage, mindless A-Team movie you all seem to be praising (OH wow, explosions! Jessica Biel!) . But the nostalgia blinders you have on will never allow you to see that. It deserved the win the weekend. The better movie won.

Plus Fox is a garbage studio and deserves nothing but shit piled on top of them until they suffocate and die.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Are you actually this racist? (AND this ignorant? Will Smith had nothing to do with Death at a Funeral...But hey, I'm sure Chris Rock and Smith look the same to you.) I thought this was a joke at first but you kept posting.

Last edited by Dragon Tattoo; 06-12-10 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-12-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We never had a movie version of A-Team, so that I don't mind. The original Karate Kid is one of the most beloved, classic films from the 80s with alot of heart. I don't give a shit, at all, about Jaden Smith or this remake. Absolutely 0 interest in seeing it. And I bet most people who grew up with the original feels the same way. Some films don't NEED to be remade, and Karate Kid is one of them.
Old 06-12-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Contact your local cable provider...

Old 06-12-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Yet, unsurprisingly, I bet you would've been psyched if A-Team (which is ALSO a remake) had won the weekend. Some of you are so blindly biased against KK that it's almost sickening. The movie's good--much better than that garbage, mindless A-Team movie you all seem to be praising (OH wow, explosions! Jessica Biel!) . But the nostalgia blinders you have on will never allow you to see that. It deserved the win the weekend. The better movie won.

Plus Fox is a garbage studio and deserves nothing but shit piled on top of them until they suffocate and die.
Old 06-12-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dragon, did you even see A-Team?
Old 06-12-10, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by anomynous
Dragon, did you even see A-Team?
Did you see The Karate Kid?

We never had a movie version of A-Team, so that I don't mind. The original Karate Kid is one of the most beloved, classic films from the 80s with alot of heart. I don't give a shit, at all, about Jaden Smith or this remake. Absolutely 0 interest in seeing it. And I bet most people who grew up with the original feels the same way. Some films don't NEED to be remade, and Karate Kid is one of them.
It's a movie about a kid meeting an old man who teaches him how to kick high, not The Godfather.

Last edited by Dragon Tattoo; 06-12-10 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-12-10, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

We already do. It's called Fox News.
Old 06-12-10, 07:03 PM
Suspended

Are you actually this racist? (AND this ignorant? Will Smith had nothing to do with Death at a Funeral...But hey, I'm sure Chris Rock and Smith look the same to you.) I thought this was a joke at first but you kept posting.
No, not racist towards Black people. Yes, I know Smith was not in Death at a Funeral, I mentioned it because it was a White film remake with Black people.
Old 06-12-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I am so glad A-Team is bombing. Please stop this trend of making mind-numbling dumb feature films of cheezy TV shows that were probably awful to begin with.
Have you seen the movie? It's actually a lot of fun.
Old 06-12-10, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The remake of Death at a Funeral is a marked improvement. Is it really important what skin colour the actors have? really? The kid in Karate Kid could be from anywhere and have any colour of skin - the only important thing is that he's unable to stand-up for himself and a bit of an outsider (but basically likable). The key aspect of this new Karate Kid which strikes me as a little laughable is that they are apparently practicing Kung-fu regardless of the movie's title. Isn't that more than a bit of a minor mistake?!
Old 06-12-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
The key aspect of this new Karate Kid which strikes me as a little laughable is that they are apparently practicing Kung-fu regardless of the movie's title. Isn't that more than a bit of a minor mistake?!
I was puzzled about that when I first saw the preview. But not many people know that.
Old 06-12-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a movie about a kid meeting an old man who teaches him how to kick high, not The Godfather.
That sums up the remake perfectly. Brilliant!
Old 06-12-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This should be a pull quote on the DVD cover.
Old 06-12-10, 07:52 PM
Banned

That sums up the remake perfectly. Brilliant!
Yeah, the first is a movie about a 23-year old Ralph Macchio unconvincingly playing a "kid" (Did the producers not know what the word meant?) who meets an old man who teachers him to kick high...Not the Godfather.
Old 06-12-10, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And it bothered no one as the original finished with almost $91 million, back when there was no DVD or VOD. That total translates to $215 million using today's ticket prices.

Twirp or Brat would have made a better choice for the remake.
Old 06-12-10, 08:07 PM
Banned

And it bothered no one as the original finished with almost $91 million, back when there was no DVD or VOD. That total translates to $215 million using today's ticket prices.

Twirp or Brat would have made a better choice for the remake.
I sense your deep, burning, personal offense at them daring to remake this cinematic classic. May they burn in a hell from which no escape is possible for daring to go against the memory of Chooch Bambalazi .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.