Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When has a film failed?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

When has a film failed?

Old 06-09-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts
When has a film failed?

More of a response to the "Movies that succeeded" thread. As opposed to movies that did everything you hoped they would and clicked, this is about movies that failed in just about every way imaginable to do anything for you. It didn't entertain, didn't stimulate you intellectually, maybe even had you willing to pay double the admission cost if you could just get the time of your life you wasted back after watching it.

Examples:

-Godzilla '98: I am such a big Godzilla fan, and this thing sucked in just about every way it could.

-Tideland-a big, sloppy, mess of a movie, and I'm a big fan of Gilliam.

-All About Steve- made it through the first 45 minutes and then returned it to Netflix. I could understand Bullock making this early in her career when she was taking whatever work she could, but this was in between The Proposal and Blind Side. I guess I can't complain too much, as I just rented it to see if it truly was as bad as they had said. It was!

-Diabolique (1996 w/Sharon Stone)- utter waste of time for everyone involved and myself.
Old 06-09-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: When has a film failed?

Wong Kar Wai films
Old 06-09-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Episode I.

Eps II & III sucked as well, but I was ready for their suckage, kinda got blindsided by The Phantom Menace.
Old 06-09-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Old 06-09-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
-Tideland-a big, sloppy, mess of a movie, and I'm a big fan of Gilliam.
As a fan of Gilliam's work I went to see this despite all the negative reviews.
I came out the comeplete opposite, I thought it succeeded in fulfilling all my expectations.
This to me is one of Gilliam's most personal works in which he was able to do as he pleased without the interference of the studio.
Old 06-09-10, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Wong Kar Wai films
Explain that. I'm not grilling you but..I just want to know why that is.
Old 06-09-10, 04:41 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

a Uwe Boll production
Old 06-09-10, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post
Episode I.

Eps II & III sucked as well, but I was ready for their suckage, kinda got blindsided by The Phantom Menace.
Old 06-09-10, 05:47 PM

I know I'll probably be hated and despised for this, but I was ready to walk out on The Dark Knight. I've never bought Christian Bale as Batman/Bruce Wayne and the whole "ultra realism" approach used by Nolan I thought was entirely inappropriate for a DC superhero film. If you examine the comic, yes, Batman exists in a world full of vile and scum, but there's still a fancifulness about it that's completely lacking in both BB and TDK.

Another one I hated was The Half-Blood Prince. The movie just made me squirm in my seat, which surprised me greatly as I rather enjoyed the previous Harry Potter films. Everyone seemed to forget what they were doing and how to act in their quest to find the perfect snog.

A friend kinda/sorta dragged me to Club Dread. I smiled exactly once, when they were doing the Pac-Man sequence, but the rest of the movie was, well, dreadful. The complete opposite of Super Troopers, which I thought was side-splitting. But I have an extremely narrow success factor when it comes to comedies. The ones that try too hard (which Club Dread did every single awful second) are atrocious.

I also wasn't thrilled with the new Trek and was glad when it was over. Sorry, but I'm just a die-hard old school fan, especially when it comes to Shatner as Kirk.
Old 06-09-10, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ FWIW, I didn't post TPM as I didn't/couldn't really see the suckage upon first viewing. I was so happy to see a SW again I didn't care. However, with time it has gotten dangerously close to that territory. Thanks goodness for a strong opening and cool light saber duel at the end.
Old 06-10-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I try to be selective about movies I go to the trouble and expense of seeing in a theater but there were two where I left the theater thinking I'd wasted my money and my time:

Taxi Driver
Marathon Man

The fact that I can remember them after so many years is because the dislike was considerable.
Old 06-10-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard View Post
I try to be selective about movies I go to the trouble and expense of seeing in a theater but there were two where I left the theater thinking I'd wasted my money and my time:

Taxi Driver
Marathon Man

The fact that I can remember them after so many years is because the dislike was considerable.
Marathon Man I agree with, but Taxi Driver may look very different to you today and I think you should give it another chance.
Old 06-10-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

When they are boring. You can be an interesting failure and not be terrible. But complete boredom is the worst crime a movie can commit, IMO. Unintentional stupidity is a close second, whether that be the directorial technique, the writing of the plot or characters, etc.
Old 06-10-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Crash.

When a movie that is preaching tolerance and anti-hate, makes me so full of hate after watching it, it has failed.
Old 06-10-10, 12:20 PM

I think there are two distinctly possible interpretations of this thread.

1) I didn't like the movie, therefore it failed.
2) what the filmmaker set out to do ultimately didn't work, and therefore it was a failure.

I, personally, don't think a film has failed if it is boring, or if I don't appreciate it. I am thinking of Jim Jarmusch and "The Limits of Control," a movie I despised, and yet I think it succeeded for what Jarmusch wanted to do. I believe Jarmusch was interested in working with film, an art form, in a way that I found totally unbearable.

So I guess i will never consider Wong Kar Wai's film's failures, as I believe he knows what he is going for and succeeds.
Old 06-10-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Halloween II (2009) - Rob Zombie's "fuck you" to all fans of Michael Myers. And I thought the series' nadir would have eternally been Myers kung-fu fighting Busta Rhymes... and I was oh so wrong.

Godzilla '98 - I've gotta agree with the OP. As a lifelong Big G fan, I was rabid with anticipation for this film. When I found leaked photos online of the design, my heart sank. But I still held out some hope. When I saw the film, I wanted nothing more than to murder Emmerich and the entire cast.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - I love Fincher and his body of work, and all the great reviews for this one made me think it'd be an amazing piece of cinema. Instead, it turned out to be one of the most boring, pointless films I've ever seen in my life.
Old 06-10-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If I am still bored after watching a movie for 1 hour then it's a failure, stuff like
There Will Be Blood
The Engrish Patient
10,000 BC
The Spirit
Slumdog Millionaire
Old 06-10-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Bobby Shalom View Post
I, personally, don't think a film has failed if it is boring, or if I don't appreciate it. I am thinking of Jim Jarmusch and "The Limits of Control," a movie I despised, and yet I think it succeeded for what Jarmusch wanted to do. I believe Jarmusch was interested in working with film, an art form, in a way that I found totally unbearable.
Yeah, except that can be chalked up to the purposeful style of the film. If the viewer is at odds with the style of the film, that's different than a movie that is truly and genuinely boring.
Old 06-10-10, 12:59 PM

Tyler Perry has failed. He should be sentenced to life in prison for his preacher cheap romantic christian comedy movies that make me want to strangle Jesus.
Old 06-10-10, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 View Post
Yeah, except that can be chalked up to the purposeful style of the film. If the viewer is at odds with the style of the film, that's different than a movie that is truly and genuinely boring.
I'm not sure I agree with an absolute truth, as in "truly and genuinely boring."

I found The English Patient boring, others loved it. I loved Lawrence of Arabia, other found it boring.

Isn't a viewer finding a film boring just a viewer that is usually at odds with the style?
Old 06-10-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Marathon Man I agree with, but Taxi Driver may look very different to you today and I think you should give it another chance.
True
Old 06-10-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Bobby Shalom View Post
I'm not sure I agree with an absolute truth, as in "truly and genuinely boring."

I found The English Patient boring, others loved it. I loved Lawrence of Arabia, other found it boring.

Isn't a viewer finding a film boring just a viewer that is usually at odds with the style?
Well, sometimes the dullness of the movie would not be attributable to anything intentional on behalf of the filmmakers.
Old 06-10-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Redundant, but necessary.. Starfleet 90210... mass marketed a classic with soap opera cliches, bad melodrama and a "too cool for school" attitude that was excruciating...
Old 06-10-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein View Post
Redundant, but necessary.. Starfleet 90210... mass marketed a classic with soap opera cliches, bad melodrama and a "too cool for school" attitude that was excruciating...
You had me scratching my head for a minute before I got the joke. Very good!
(And I agree.)
Old 06-10-10, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let me add Barry Lyndon. I know people praise it as one of Kubrick's finer works, and I love watching his movies overall. However. this bored me too tears and put me to sleep within the first half hour. I am certain I will revisit it someday when I'm in more of a mood to see something like it, but for now, it's a movie that failed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.