Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Showgirls Exposed - Unofficial Sequel (I think...)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plot Synopsis;
The film is about a stripper who dies from a dose of contaminated batch of cocaine, and her brother who goes on a mission to find the responsible and enact revenge.

/Film posted the below trailer, as well as message board comments between the film's German director, Marc Vorlander, and twitch.com's editor, Todd Brown, in response to Brown's article titled My Eyes Can Stand No More Than Four Minutes Of Marc Vorlander's SHOWGIRLS: EXPOSED. Some of the back and forth, again provided by /film;

VORLANDER: The difference between controversial art and crap is very easy: controversial art is hated, panned, discussed…, crap simply dissapears into nowhere immediately, exactly like Rena Riffels project, that is also based on Showgirls and can be used in this case perfectly to demonstrate the difference…Thanks for passionately hating my work so less objective. I can not take this serious, but I appreciate it since it fits perfectly in the calculated behavior of self-styled movie critics that would not even detect art if you would engrave the word in their glasses to help them with it.
BROWN: If you’re making art here, you’re doing it the same way Ed Wood did: Incompetently and by accident. And if the film has a lasting shelf life I suspect it’ll be for the same reason. Because people enjoy laughing at it. Being a joke - even a very, very funny one - is not the same thing as being an artist. Right now, everything you’ve released from this film is a joke, not art…I’ll be happy to take a look at the completed film once it’s finished and if it turns out that you’ve made something worthwhile I’ll happily come out and say I was wrong with my earlier comments.
NSFW Trailer;
Spoiler:
<object width="650" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://ictv-tf-ec.indieclicktv.com/player/embed/97b1fda2ca43d6c29eaf63ed1ec347c6/4c0c0cb7ee5b3/31/0/defaultPlayer-player.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://ictv-tf-ec.indieclicktv.com/player/embed/97b1fda2ca43d6c29eaf63ed1ec347c6/4c0c0cb7ee5b3/31/0/defaultPlayer-player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="650" height="366"></embed></object>

I have no idea what to say about this movie. I mean, I think it's a movie. But some of Worlander's claims seem too outlandish to take seriously, such as raising $25 million(!) for the movie. This looks so awful that I can't help to think that the ineptitude is deliberate.

Which leads me to a question - Are we entering into an age where making a bad movie is its own reward? Consider The Room, or Birdemic; two films that are largely known for how bad they are are. The original Showgirls shares that same recognition, but there was actual effort put into that one. Would a director consider purposefully making a bad movie, knowing full well that people will be drawn to its mediocrity?
Old 06-08-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Showgirls Exposed - Unofficial Sequel (I think...)

Wtf?
Old 06-08-10, 11:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what the fuck is this?
Old 06-09-10, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's the segue filler that flashes between the segments in HBO's Real Sex episodes.
Old 06-09-10, 02:21 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Which leads me to a question - Are we entering into an age where making a bad movie is its own reward? Consider The Room, or Birdemic; two films that are largely known for how bad they are are. The original Showgirls shares that same recognition, but there was actual effort put into that one. Would a director consider purposefully making a bad movie, knowing full well that people will be drawn to its mediocrity?
No, while I haven't seen Birdemic, The Room and Showgirls are productions where everyone earnestly worked to make a great movie, and failed utterly. Those kind of train wrecks can't be faked.
Old 06-09-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Zapp!!
Old 06-09-10, 06:26 PM
Banned by request

I watched the teaser. What the hell?
Old 06-09-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

If I could paraphrase from Billy Madison: Everyone in this room is now dumber for having viewed that. I award it no points.
Old 06-09-10, 10:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
No, while I haven't seen Birdemic, The Room and Showgirls are productions where everyone earnestly worked to make a great movie, and failed utterly. Those kind of train wrecks can't be faked.
Well, apparently there is a market for bad movies. That's how Asylum and imbeciles from Date-Epic-Superhero Movie make money. Since the IMDB started ranking the worst movies (based by rating) there have been idiots trying to make bad movies just to be on the list and get some sort of infamy that they think it translate to profit. These idiots made the film with the purpose of trying to be #1 in the bottom 100 of IMDB. That defeats the purpose of a bad movie. The good thing about the Room is the fact that the guy that made it took the film and its production seriously, trying to create a masterpiece. The fun and entertaining part is how he failed. The clip above is just a stupid Skinemax flick gone wrong.
Old 06-09-10, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the song.
Old 06-09-10, 11:08 PM
Banned by request

dx, I agree that there are people who try to make bad movies, but generally the ones who try to make bad movies make mediocre movies. Truly awful movies aren't made on purpose.
Old 06-10-10, 04:38 PM

Looks like Tim and Eric directed it.
Old 06-10-10, 05:07 PM

Yeah, the song was brilliant compared to the accompanying imagery (which wasn't bad per-se, just, well, WEIRD).

I'm compelled to ask the obvious question here - just how, why, where, when is this related to Verhoeven's Showgirls? Is there a common narrative? Are there at least references to ANY of the characters in the "first" film? Or is this another example of just cashing in on the notoriety of a previous film via the movie title, but really having nothing to do with it?

That trailer...I dunno, it's distressingly mesmerizing.
Old 06-11-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-11-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

So am I the only one who thought this was a joke not even a minute into the "teaser"? Is this a very late April Fools joke?
Old 06-11-10, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by project86
Looks like Tim and Eric directed it.
Sign me up!
Old 06-12-10, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

What the fuck did I just watch?