DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Twitter Campaign Wants 'Community' Actor to Be First Non-White Spider-Man (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/574622-twitter-campaign-wants-community-actor-first-non-white-spider-man.html)

raven56706 06-02-10 08:15 AM

Twitter Campaign Wants 'Community' Actor to Be First Non-White Spider-Man

Could the movies soon have the first African American Spider-Man?

If thousands of Twitter users get their way, the star of Sony's upcoming reboot of the franchise will be Donald Glover, best known from his role on NBC's "Community." This weekend the Twitter hashtag "donald4spiderman" became the #3 trending topic in the U.S., and the campaign is still gaining steam.

The origins of this latest attempt by social media users to influence casting decisions occurred last week. After surveying the five mostly unknown white actors said to be vying for the role, Marc Bernadin, a writer for the sci-fi site io9.com, called the choices "bland" and asked, "In this day and age, why does Spidey have to be a white guy?" In response, commenters threw out Donald Glover's name as a possible contender, and a Twitter campaign was born.

A unique aspect of this latest fan campaign is its wholehearted support by the subject in question. Glover seems to like the idea (though he makes it clear on his Twitter page that he's interested in auditioning, not just being handed the role without first having to prove his worthiness). While he had nothing to do with its inception, Glover himself has been promoting the campaign, instructing fans to tweet the #donald4spiderman hash tag at strategic times to keep it trending.

In years past, an Internet petition of this kind might not be given much credence, but given the overwhelming success of the recent social-media uprising to get Betty White a hosting gig on "Saturday Night Live," this could be Glover's ticket to director Marc Webb's tryout room. He and his fans will have to act fast, though: The Hollywood Reporter is already forecasting the five most likely contenders for the role, and Glover is not on the list

Glover, a comedian and former writer for "30 Rock," has starred in only one movie so far: "Mystery Team," a comedy he co-created with his sketch comedy team, Derrick Comedy, which came out in 2009.

One hurdle Glover's fans will have is in his presumed bankability as a movie star: "Mystery Team" brought in a meager $89.4 thousand in domestic box-office sales.

not sure if this would work...

MrSmearkase 06-02-10 08:30 AM

Re: Twitter Campaign Wants 'Community' Actor to Be First Non-White Spider-Man

Yeah, this is going to work out

riotinmyskull 06-02-10 08:30 AM

i'm starting a campaign to have a white guy play the lead in the next non-white bio-pic

however i would be down for a DANNY glover spider-man flick..."i'm getting too old for this shit"

Palaver 06-02-10 08:41 AM

Glad to find out that "Mystery Team" is out on DVD. I've been wanting to check it out.

TGM 06-02-10 08:47 AM

no.

and there already has been a non-white Spider Man.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_LaXMFAKnBA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_LaXMFAKnBA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Goat3001 06-02-10 08:55 AM

I like Donald Glover and I look forward to seeing him in new roles.... but not this.

Groucho 06-02-10 09:11 AM

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1953/51887489.jpg

I think he looks too old to play Parker as a high school student. I don't give a crap about race.

DRG 06-02-10 09:19 AM

The problem with the writer's logic is that he's drawing a comparison between the short list of white actors already rumored to be vying for the role and a fantasy list of every minority actor working. Using his reasoning, there are probably hundreds of capable white Spider-Man options out there beyond the five 'bland white guys' up for the role.

stingermck 06-02-10 09:26 AM

Luke Cage gets no love

Sean O'Hara 06-02-10 10:14 AM

Does anyone watch Much Ado About Nothing and ask, "Why is Denzel playing an Italian prince?"

Does anyone watch Toys and wonder, "Why is LL Cool J playing Robin Williams' cousin?"

Does anyone watch The Last Airbender and ask, "Why are a bunch of honkies playing Asians?"

MrSmearkase 06-02-10 10:46 AM

The problem for me does not lie with race, but rather this grassroots Twitter campaign. The idea that the internet can produce enough buzz to carry a hit has not exactly been proven. The collective voices of the internet know what sounds good, but that is about all.

Patman 06-02-10 10:46 AM

Troy => Peter Parker
Annie => MJ Watson
Britta => Gwen Stacy
Pierce => J. Jonah Jameson
Jeff => Green Goblin
Chang => Kraven
Ian = Doc Ock
Shirley => Aunt May
Abed => Vulture

Numanoid 06-02-10 10:50 AM

These social media campaigns need to stop.

foofighters7 06-02-10 11:19 AM

"He was a man of distinction. He was a man of worth. He challenged the ideals of the time. He was an innovator who refused to step down...by any means necessary...
This year come see the film the whole world is talking about....'Malcolm X'.
Starring Mel Gibson in his Oscar Winning Role as Malcolm.

Malcolm- "(loudly and with authority) I will NOT step aside while my brothers are stepped on in the streets! I will NOT step aside while a white man steps in front of me! I will NOT abandon the ideal of a world where we have power, by any means necessary!!"

See it again for the first time!

Rated PG-13

FantasticVSDoom 06-02-10 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 10190225)
These social media campaigns need to stop.

:up: The only thing worse than the studios idea's in movies is the general public's ideas for movies...

Yavin 06-02-10 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 10190212)
Troy => Peter Parker
Annie => MJ Watson
Britta => Gwen Stacy
Pierce => J. Jonah Jameson
Jeff => Green Goblin
Chang => Kraven
Ian = Doc Ock
Shirley => Aunt May
Abed => Vulture

If Troy is Spidey, then Abed should be Venom. Dean Pelton can be Vulture.

Double_Oh_7 06-02-10 11:39 AM

I'm starting a Twitter campaign to stop Twitter campaigns.

TGM 06-02-10 12:00 PM

Betty White as Peter Parker.

MrSmearkase 06-02-10 12:15 PM

/\ Not age appropriate, but she would make a great Uncle Ben

clappj 06-02-10 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 10190369)
/\ Not age appropriate, but he would make a great Uncle Ben

*Edit

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VizIrBQwA8.../uncle+ben.jpg

mhg83 06-02-10 07:08 PM

In this day and age why does Shaft have tobe a black guy? Christian Bale would be awesome to play him!

bee_01 06-02-10 07:13 PM

This would be the most perfect casting in the history of cinema...make it happen!

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2010/06/0...-spiderman.jpg

anomynous 06-02-10 07:13 PM

Affirmative action?

Fist of Doom 06-02-10 07:21 PM

I don't think audiences are ready for a DongLover to play Spidey.

Hokeyboy 06-02-10 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 10190152)
Does anyone watch Much Ado About Nothing and ask, "Why is Denzel playing an Italian prince?"

Nope. They ask "Why are Denzel and Keanu playing brothers?"

Does anyone watch Toys and wonder, "Why is LL Cool J playing Robin Williams' cousin?"
Nope. NOBODY watches Toys.

Does anyone watch The Last Airbender and ask, "Why are a bunch of honkies playing Asians?"
Nope. Time machines are still hard to come by unless you're Eddie "Not A Jew" Rabinowitz.