Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MacGruber (Taccone, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: MacGruber (Taccone, 2010) — The Reviews Thread
12.82%
5.13%
20.51%
15.38%
17.95%
5.13%
10.26%
2.56%
0%
2.56%
0%
I just took an upper decker in the master bathroom and that is the only credit...kabooooom!
7.69%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

MacGruber (Taccone, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: MacGruber (Taccone, 2010) — The Reviews Thread

I was really looking forward to this one mostly because I like Will Forte a lot (I'm one of the few who actually saw and LIKED The Brothers Soloman - in theatres no less) and Jorma Taccone kills it as part of the Lonely Island and add that with the early buzz out of SXSW - so I was slightly disappointed when I saw the 10pm show on Friday and there was less that 20 people in the theatre (I truly thought it would be a sell-out crowd and was ready for one of those great audience laugh-a-thons). However, for the most part the movie delivered.

I think in the early going the laughs were fewer and farther between than I was expecting, but the jokes that hit were fantastic (the van comes to mind). Overall it could have been a little tighter but for the most part if you're into stupid comedy, like 80's action flicks and aren't put off by some seriously raunchy humour, you should get yourself to a theatre this week to see MacGruber.
Old 05-23-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts

I was probably the only person in theatre who knew that the beginning was a ripoff of Rambo III, and the throat ripping came from Road House.
Old 05-23-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Thought it was hilarious and laughed the whole time. "The Naked Gun" films comparison was spot on.
Old 05-23-10, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopower
The memo pad was hilarious.
I honestly think that was the funniest part of the movie. Loved this movie, sad to see it's not doing too well. It'll make it's money back, but I was hoping for a hit.
Old 05-23-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I honestly think that was the funniest part of the movie. Loved this movie, sad to see it's not doing too well. It'll make it's money back, but I was hoping for a hit.
This one's a keeper. There were so many funny lines, I can see watching it like my other favorite comedies every few months. That car stereo running gag, even though done often, made me laugh every time.
Old 05-23-10, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of the jokes fell flat, but there was still several laugh out loud scenes, including the notepad sequence. That was very funny.
Old 05-23-10, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This movie was really good, but good for a really dumb movie. I think the DVD Talk review compared it to Anchorman and that was exactly the movie I thought of while watching it. The jokes are crude, but there were many of them and I laughed and cringed (in a good way though) throughout the movie. The dual sex scene had me laughing harder than any movie I have seen recently. A great movie to watch in a theater with an audience.
Old 05-25-10, 01:22 AM

I thought the movie was hillarious. I knew a guy back in the 80's who always pulled his Blaupunkt stereo out of his car where ever he went. He had a mullet too!
Old 05-25-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

LMFAO when I saw this! The only thing missing for me was

Spoiler:
a Richard Dean Anderson cameo
Old 05-26-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I enjoyed it, not a classic but very enjoyable. I think I LOL'd the most during the coffee shop scene, especially when Wiig had to take the money out of the tip jar.
Old 05-27-10, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Can someone help me to understand how or why a naked man with a stick of celery shoved up his ass is funny?
Old 05-27-10, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E. Honda
Can someone help me to understand how or why a naked man with a stick of celery shoved up his ass is funny?
It's not the act that is funny it's the fact that there was build up with MacGruber going thru all that shit in the garbage to make a diversion and that is what he came up with. That and the combination of the music while he was doing it.
Old 05-27-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Saw this on Monday. There were a few jokes in it that didn't quite work but I thought it was a lot better than I was expecting it to be. Not really a fan of SNL stuff and have only seen a selected number of MacGyver episodes but I was still able to enjoy this. I really enjoyed the soundtrack to this movie as well as Val Kilmer as the villain.
Old 06-02-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought this was way better than it should have been. The running gags were funny (car radio/ abrupt music switches).

My biggest laugh was when he first visited Wigg to get her on the team. She declined and he handed her the paper... "In case you change you mind..." That note cracked me up!
Old 06-23-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this at my local cinema at 11:30 this morning and I was the only one in there!
I thought it was really great. The van joke you could see from a mile away but you were just waiting for it. The license plate gag didn't have a great payoff but was pretty funny with the pad.
For me the best joke was the sex scene. I haven't laughed that much in ages. But the rivalary flaskback and the fact that Macgruber couldn't understand why that was the reason why ****h hated him!
Old 06-25-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

We went and saw this tonight and I have to say that I enjoyed it more than half of the movies that have come out so far this year. It sort of brought thoughts of an adult version of Hot Shots. I especially laughed at the pullout car stereo bit as well as the "You're loco man" part. His savage sex scenes were quite funny as well. I'll be picking this up on BD and hopefully it will have a bunch of deleted scenes.
Old 06-25-10, 01:15 AM

I wish this would've done a lot better than it did. I thought it was really funny, and that's rare for a movie based on an SNL skit. For some reason though a lot of people thought it sucked. I work at a theater and I can't tell you guys how many people walked out of it early saying "that was the worst film I've ever seen!", I didn't see what was so bad about it for them to all say that. I mean it wasn't perfect or anything, but it was certainly funnier than a lot of other crap we get these days that is passed off as comedy (the _____ Movie franchise comes to mind).
Old 06-25-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's too bad that it didn't do well as I would love to see another one and just call it Macgrubers as the husband and wife could parody some of the male and female partner movies that have been made. Or call it Mr. and Mrs. Macgruber.
Old 06-25-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
That car stereo running gag, even though done often, made me laugh every time.
I've laughed about that today every time I have thought about it. One of the funniest gags in recent memory in my opinion. I tried to explain it to my brother but since he is 26 he doesn't know what a pull-out car stereo is since they had already come and gone by the time he started driving.
Old 06-25-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I've laughed about that today every time I have thought about it. One of the funniest gags in recent memory in my opinion. I tried to explain it to my brother but since he is 26 he doesn't know what a pull-out car stereo is since they had already come and gone by the time he started driving.
I am much (MUCH) older than your brother, and I don't remember the pull-out car stereos. Because I never had one. And didn't know about them. Guess they were expensive?? Seriously. None of my stereos left the car. And I even had a club to "protect" my car from being stolen. That said, not knowing about such a stereo didn't matter to me. I laughed at the site of MacGruber grabbing it and taking it everywhere. Again, just one of the many many many great and funny scenes in this movie. Which I saw twice in the theater. I have a feeling this will become quite the cult hit. Here's hoping anyway.
Old 06-26-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

the 2010 film year is half over, and MacGruber sits proudly at the top of the pile of shit that has been released so far. And the rest of the year doesn't look to get much better.

Sad.
Old 06-26-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E. Honda
the 2010 film year is half over, and MacGruber sits proudly at the top of the pile of shit that has been released so far. And the rest of the year doesn't look to get much better.

Sad.
Would you say that this has been one of your favorites so far this year?
Old 09-02-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I saw this last night. It's a dumb movie, but I laughed my ass off the entire time.
Old 09-02-10, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I was hoping this would be funnier than it was. It certainly had its moments but it just seemed to drag a lot for me.

Better than it needed to be, not as good as it coulda been.
Old 09-05-10, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It made me laugh a lot and that's all that matters. The Big Show cameo especially.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.