Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Old 05-20-10, 08:14 PM
  #51  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,626
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Good call on "In a Glass Cage" needing to be on that list. Not only should it be there, but it's top ten for sure. An excellently made movie in addition to being disturbing.

I'd probably swap out Lynch's "Inland Empire" for "Lost Highway" (which was much creepier and disturbing IMO). And I think Gregg Araki's "Mysterious Skin" belongs on the list (taking off Araki's "Nowhere"). And if you're going to have an example of schlocky gory 70s grindhouse fare, I think "Bloodsucking Freaks" belongs on the list (instead of "Zombie Holocaust").
naw, I thought B.Freaks was more goofy than disturbing.

Happiness was definately 'disturbing' but Welcome to the Dollhouse was more discomforting.
Old 05-20-10, 09:48 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 19,304
Received 282 Likes on 234 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Saw Murder-Set-Pieces and it certainly was disturbing, at least to me.
If anything the Gore/Violence was the most disturbing part of the entire film. The rest was pretty hilarious.
Old 05-20-10, 09:54 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,264
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

prob the most disturbing scene in murder set pieces is
Spoiler:
the scene where a mother is killed infront of her infant child and the baby just screams, cause it doesn't know its not real
Old 05-20-10, 11:27 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Briarwood Sanatarium
Posts: 4,293
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

I have seen or own 87 of them. I plan on seraching for the other 13. I love disturbing movies. Also if they wanted to include a Kathy Bates movie the should have chose about Schmidt instead of Misery, that movie has a way more disturbing performance by Mrs Bates
Old 05-21-10, 12:30 AM
  #55  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 869
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
naw, I thought B.Freaks was more goofy than disturbing.

Happiness was definately 'disturbing' but Welcome to the Dollhouse was more discomforting.
i thought Palindromes was Todd Solondz most disturbing film.. easily.
Old 05-21-10, 12:35 AM
  #56  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 869
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

feed
ebola syndrome
in my skin
sombre
the accused
white skin
uzumaki

can someone give me some insight on these? i'm not so much into gore flicks (like Murder Set Pieces or Slaughtered Vomit Dolls or whatever), but more into films with psychologically disturbing or a few shocking moments in a well-produced film. would i like any of these?
Old 05-21-10, 03:51 AM
  #57  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
LickTheABCs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Viva BuyMoria!
Posts: 3,464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Feed is a nicely directed story of feeder/gainers (the subculture of chubby chasers who feed fat women until they can't get out of bed and then put it on the internet.) Alex O'Loughlin is good in it though.

Ebola Syndrome is your typical fucked up Japanese flick about a guy who gets back at people by spreading Ebola by cumming in hamburger meat. Really funny movie.

In My Skin is more of a drama than a Horror movie. It's a really good messed up french film about a woman who feels alive only through self-mutilation and auto-cannibalism. This was really good, I'd recommend it to anybody.

Sombre is an annoying shaky-cam flick about a serial killer. This should be avoided.

Uzumaki is a Japanese film about people who are obsessed with spirals. Only noteworthy for the fact that it's funny seeing somebody being turned into a snail.

White Skin is a Canadian vampire flick kinda like Ginger Snaps. It was released under Cannibal in the states. (Just watch out for Marion Dora's Cannibal which a completely different beast) I enjoyed it.
Old 05-21-10, 05:18 AM
  #58  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 11,543
Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs View Post
Ebola Syndrome is your typical fucked up Hong Kong flick about a guy who gets back at people by spreading Ebola by cumming in hamburger meat. Really funny movie.
fixed

The opening segment is quite raw, but I agree that it gets funny soon after.

As I mentioned on page 1, Untold Story (Same director and star) contained similar themes and humor as well, but it's a much more brutal film that should've been included in the list.

Dr. Lamb (With Simon Yam) is another HK Category 3 flick that I've heard things about. I rented it, but the disc broke half-way through. Anyone else have a verdict on that one?
Old 05-21-10, 08:45 AM
  #59  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Very far away..
Posts: 4,817
Likes: 0
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

37. Most of them not disturbing at all.
Old 05-21-10, 11:03 AM
  #60  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,626
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
fixed

The opening segment is quite raw, but I agree that it gets funny soon after.

As I mentioned on page 1, Untold Story (Same director and star) contained similar themes and humor as well, but it's a much more brutal film that should've been included in the list.

Dr. Lamb (With Simon Yam) is another HK Category 3 flick that I've heard things about. I rented it, but the disc broke half-way through. Anyone else have a verdict on that one?
maybe I'm jaded to begin with, but I didn't think 'Dr. Lamb' was all 'that' shocking.
Old 05-21-10, 11:37 AM
  #61  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
prob the most disturbing scene in murder set pieces is
Spoiler:
the scene where a mother is killed infront of her infant child and the baby just screams, cause it doesn't know its not real
...isn't everything real to a baby? It just doesn't get what's happening.
Old 05-21-10, 11:44 AM
  #62  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Randy Miller III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 4,717
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Originally Posted by wuxiakitty View Post
37 here.. so far.
In a row????



Guess I'm a wuss...only seen 26 of these.
Old 05-21-10, 12:18 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,720
Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Originally Posted by TheySentYou View Post
feed
ebola syndrome
in my skin
sombre
the accused
white skin
uzumaki
And "The Accused" is the 1988 Jodie Foster movie about a rape trial. Foster won a Best Actress Oscar for this role. Worth watching if you haven't seen it. One of the more mainstream entries in this list.

I second the recommendation for "In My Skin". Like Polanski's "Repulsion", it's more a psychological study of a woman losing her mind than a gore movie.

And I'm a fan of "Uzumaki", though I found it more strange and offbeat than disturbing. People that need their movies to give them explanations for what's going on won't be happy with this, however. I wonder what happened to the director, Higuchinsky? He really burst onto the scene in 2000 with "Uzumaki" and "Long Dream" (an excellent sci-fi/horror about a man who seemed to experience vast stretches of time in his dreams). He made "Tokyo 10+1" in 2003, which was a comedy-action movie in the vein of "Death Race 2000" and "The Running Man". And nothing since.
Old 05-21-10, 12:38 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
LiquidSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pokey Dot Lounge, Nashville, TN
Posts: 9,199
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

I've seen 40 of these titles. Of those I"ve seen, Salo was the most disturbing.
Old 05-21-10, 02:19 PM
  #65  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,673
Received 179 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I second the recommendation for "In My Skin". Like Polanski's "Repulsion", it's more a psychological study of a woman losing her mind than a gore movie.
I third the recommendation for "In My Skin".
The description above is totally correct.
Though it does have some parts that did make me squirm.
Old 05-21-10, 02:41 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Posts: 19,304
Received 282 Likes on 234 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
fixed
Dr. Lamb (With Simon Yam) is another HK Category 3 flick that I've heard things about. I rented it, but the disc broke half-way through. Anyone else have a verdict on that one?
It's a fun film and I like Simon Yam, but I didn't find it all that disturbing.

Also from other forums, I read that the HK disc is actually cut.
Old 05-21-10, 02:50 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,720
Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Originally Posted by LiquidSky View Post
I've seen 40 of these titles. Of those I"ve seen, Salo was the most disturbing.
Of the 80+ movies I've seen on the list, I'd rank it #1 as well. It's unusual in that it has a world-class director willing to work with such extreme material. There's nothing cheap or amateurish about it. It's one of the only movies that I literally had to turn from the screen to avoid getting sick. I can handle violence ... but shit-eating? For those people in the "Human Centipede" thread who are complaining about what they didn't get to see ... this is the movie for you!
Old 05-21-10, 02:57 PM
  #68  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Larry C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Let's Go Heat!
Posts: 7,493
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

I've seen 57 and liked most of them.
Old 05-21-10, 09:01 PM
  #69  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

70 for me.

Glad to see Happiness on there, excellent film.

I think it is a pretty solid list. I definitely think In A Glass Cage should be on there as well, terrific film.
Old 05-21-10, 09:14 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,264
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

question, i rented The Piano Teacher from blockbuster. I noticed its a R rated version, and doing minor research, the r version is missing 5 or 6 min of footage. Do i get to miss all the controversial/disturbing stuff?
Old 05-21-10, 09:18 PM
  #71  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

So no takers on Killing Zoe?
Old 05-21-10, 09:48 PM
  #72  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 869
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs View Post
Feed is a nicely directed story of feeder/gainers (the subculture of chubby chasers who feed fat women until they can't get out of bed and then put it on the internet.) Alex O'Loughlin is good in it though.

Ebola Syndrome is your typical fucked up Japanese flick about a guy who gets back at people by spreading Ebola by cumming in hamburger meat. Really funny movie.

In My Skin is more of a drama than a Horror movie. It's a really good messed up french film about a woman who feels alive only through self-mutilation and auto-cannibalism. This was really good, I'd recommend it to anybody.

Sombre is an annoying shaky-cam flick about a serial killer. This should be avoided.

Uzumaki is a Japanese film about people who are obsessed with spirals. Only noteworthy for the fact that it's funny seeing somebody being turned into a snail.

White Skin is a Canadian vampire flick kinda like Ginger Snaps. It was released under Cannibal in the states. (Just watch out for Marion Dora's Cannibal which a completely different beast) I enjoyed it.
i somehow knew i could count on you for these, just from your frequenting on the other "disturbing" threads. thanks!
Old 05-22-10, 12:39 AM
  #73  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,626
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
question, i rented The Piano Teacher from blockbuster. I noticed its a R rated version, and doing minor research, the r version is missing 5 or 6 min of footage. Do i get to miss all the controversial/disturbing stuff?
as I recall there is some hardcore footage from a porn movie that is featured on one scene.
Old 05-23-10, 11:56 AM
  #74  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 869
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

hah! that's Blockbuster for ya
Old 05-23-10, 04:26 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Leandro/San Francisco
Posts: 7,422
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The 100 Most Disturbing Movies Of All Time

Happiness and Crash (about getting off on car wrecks) come to mine.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.